Mounting an MRL Hewing Spear
Has anyone done this? I belive it takes a 1 1/4 inch shaft, But not sure if I should taper it or just slam it on.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Re: Mounting an MRL Hewing Spear
Thomas Jason wrote:
Has anyone done this? I belive it takes a 1 1/4 inch shaft, But not sure if I should taper it or just slam it on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I mounted an MRL Viking spear several years ago. You will need to taper the shaft with a four-in-one rasp or draw knife to have a tight fit. Be careful not to remove too much wood because you can't put it back on! It took some time, care and a couple of different tools, but mine turned out pretty well.
I usually add a little Goop glue. It remains rubbery when it dries and hold it on real tight.
I haven't used an MRL spear before, but I have learnt one trick for getting a perfect fit, if you're so inclined.

Once you've got the shape of the wood pretty close to that of the inside of the socket, pour some soot into the socket (outdoors of course) and swirl it around , then tip it out. Jam the spear head onto the shaft and then remove it. The soot will leave marks on the high spots which can then be sanded off or shaved off with a very sharp knife. Repeat this process a few times and you'll have a very strong, sturdy fit.
Posted: Tue 15 Jan, 2008 6:38 pm Post subject: Socketed lance heads from Native Way

This thread, above, should provide a wealth of information you can use. You can use the search function by typing in "socket and lance" and it should bring it up for you. I found a Stanley Surform at Home Depot for about $7.00, and it saved me a lot of time. Sean Flynt posted a picture of it in the thread.

Good Luck!

Last edited by R D Moore on Mon 01 Sep, 2008 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
R D Moore wrote:
Posted: Tue 15 Jan, 2008 6:38 pm Post subject: Socketed lance heads from Native Way

Here is a link to the above topic so others don't have to search for it:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12124
Yes that was quite a handy thread; going to be making me a brace or two of those native way spears; maybe I'll put up a few here on the cheap.

M.
Thanks all for the great tips folks!

Will give it a go!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: