Go to page 1, 2  Next

Movie: Outlander
:D A new movie for us "StrandHuggare" soon, I know!! it's little of sci-fi style :D
official site
One more trailer on DB.no

[ Linked Image ]
Ugh looks like another low budget P.O.S. Pathfinder was aweful and this looks like more of the same.
:D James! There is one more coming in 2009
They have just start film it in Scotland
VALHALLA RISING

:cool: i try out some effect there :lol:
Vikings vs Aliens ! Awesome ![/i]
Almost like the story writers saw the last incarnation of Beowulf & Grendel and started brain storming.

" Say, instead of a troll/neandertal we could make the Grendel clone a space monster ". " Ya, ya! and the Beowulf knockoff character crashes in a space ship ! "

Why not says I.

Got a good chuckle at the official site in the Armor section of the galleries over how the " eurasian leather scale " & " the Viking variation of Roman style manica " will add " some real depth and grittiness " to the movie.
Oh my goodness this is a game premise but I cant for the life of me remember the name! I'll try and remember later ha ha
I was glad to see at least one of the characters in the poster had a humongous hammer. Nothing makes
for better Norse as primitive slobs fighting aliens sci-fi then a guy with a big hammer. The whole gargantuan
hammer motif, so deftly begun in Conan has enlivened so many other in the fantasy/barbarian ouvre since.
Let's hear it for out size hammers!

Doug
James Barker wrote:
Ugh looks like another low budget P.O.S.

Whoa, with John Hurt and Ron Perlman? Come on, I'm sure this will be, um, just terrific... Really...

Quote:
Pathfinder was aweful

Oooog, you didn't actually watch that, did you? I was hoping to see "10,000 BC" in a double feature with "Doomsday". Unfortunately I don't drink so I'd have to be sober....

Matthew
As ridiculous as it was, 10,000 BC was much, much better than Pathfinder, which I found to be an insipid, insulting, depressing, borderline-racist POS... I mean, at least 10,000 BC had Wooly Mammoths.... I like Wooly Mammoths, so, it couldn't be all bad, right? :p
Douglas G. wrote:
I was glad to see at least one of the characters in the poster had a humongous hammer. Nothing makes
for better Norse as primitive slobs fighting aliens sci-fi then a guy with a big hammer. The whole gargantuan
hammer motif, so deftly begun in Conan has enlivened so many other in the fantasy/barbarian ouvre since.

Doug

Make that "hammers" Doug. He has one in each hand, so they are really upping the stakes in the ridiculously sized, multiple weapon wielding, don't mess with me type of character.
What about this one, Solomon Kane. From the same director that made Conan the barbarian

Attachment: 113.6 KB
[ Download ]
David Wilson wrote:
As ridiculous as it was, 10,000 BC was much, much better than Pathfinder, which I found to be an insipid, insulting, depressing, borderline-racist POS... I mean, at least 10,000 BC had Wooly Mammoths.... I like Wooly Mammoths, so, it couldn't be all bad, right? :p

The 1987 film "Pathfinder" (also called Ofelas) was pretty awesome, but it had a different story line...
Right you are Paul! But is there another character twist here? Is one of his arms larger and wielding a plus plus
sized mallet, or is the other little and atrophied and hefting the finishing hammer sized weapon? I Can't hardly
wait the two years or so 'til it makes the $6.99 DVD rack!
Just from looking at the poster for the film I'd say that it is another example of the best directors and actors in the world can't save a bad script.
Martin Buckley wrote:
What about this one, Solomon Kane. From the same director that made Conan the barbarian

Solomon Kane is a character created by Robert E. Howard, who also created Conan, but neither he (having died in 1936) nor this Micheal J. Bassett fellow had anything to do with directing Conan the Barbarian - that was done by John Milius.
Douglas G. wrote:

Doug

We're in for a real treat then! If you look closely he actually is holding TWO hammers. Yes, TWO massive hammers for the price of ONE movie ticket!
Darn. I got all excited when I saw the title of this thread. I thought it was going to be a movie based on the Diana Gabaldon novel of the same name. :(
Really how bad can it be? Jim Caviezel was the best Jesus, John Hurt and Ron Pearlman, come on! Cool cast, don't know about the director or story and cast alone can't help that. I'll check it out (rental):)
If it's Sci-Fi. / Fantasy there is no need to get all " concerned " about anything realistic or historical and as John says above a lot depends on the actors and the script and the director i.e. might be fun. ;) :D

On the other hand a lot of very good actors have been in some really bad films for the pay check ! ( Don't blame them as they may have thought the film was going to be good or they really needed the cash and couldn't be too choosy ).

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 01 Sep, 2008 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
I saw the trailer, and I'm excited to see it. Caviezel is an alien that shipwrecks in "viking land", presumably in pursuit of a dragon-like monster. I think that's a pretty good premise, and honestly couldn't care less about historical accuracy in a movie like this.

Movies are stories, and meaningful stories are always about the human experience in all its varied flavors. Historical accuracy neither adds to that story nor does it take away from it. I do not go to movies to learn about history, I go there to experience a human story, and to be entertained. Don't get me wrong...historical accuracy would be nice, and movie that tells a good story and entertains and teaches would be wonderful and perhaps perfect, but to not enjoy a movie simply because it is not perfect makes no sense to me.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: