Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:

From what I can recall the Epee was a dueling weapon too used to draw blood with the tip.

Isn't "epee" a French word for "sword"?
Chad Arnow wrote:
Isn't "epee" a French word for "sword"?

Yes, however the term is often accepted to mean the 19th century epee du combat, a weapon used for duelling.

However, there is still a big difference between modern epee and classical epee. (Sorry to the French speakers, I don't know how to make the accent mark over the second "e"). Modern epee may require an incredible level of skill and athleticism, but it still favors quite a number of techniques that would have been suicidal with sharps, but work within the framework of the rules.
I think there is a huge problem with the term "martial art", because it is so encompassing -- I find myself using it to mean different things at different times, and I know I'm not alone in this. At its most basic level, the term just means an art geared towards combat, but not specifically towards a battlefield, duel, pub fight, tournament, etc. So frankly, if someone practices hitting other people so hard with a stick that the blows are felt through armor, and they are also trying to avoid getting hit themselves, then that's a frigging martial art :!: It even meets the centuries old fundamental principle of fencing: to hit and not be hit.

I wouldn't call SCA heavy fighting a complete martial art, but that doesn't make it stand out either. Gracie Jiu Jitsu is a great grappling art, but doesn't include much in the way of weapons, and it's geared towards a single opponent. The classical fencing I'm studying is filled with all sorts of great cutting and thrusting material for a single hand sword, against a single opponent, but has no grappling. And yet, they are both great martial arts, in their own ways.

I like lots of martial arts, but I'm pretty much focused on swordplay, and the best test of "real" that we can use for swords is "What if they were sharp?" LOTS of period material covers this, and not just manuals or treatises. Classical fencing continues a very long tradition in Western Martial Arts of having both a sporting aspect, and a "for real" aspect. The sport is closely aligned with the concept of sharps, but the fencer is taught to know which actions and strategies are appropriate for each, and thus the two aspects complement each other.

Also, the degree to which an art is practiced as a sport or in an ostensibly "real" fashion can vary by school or group and by individual as much as by art. Look at the differences in Tae Kwon Do, Karate, and Kendo. Even *if* the SCA had *only* 5,000 heavy fighters, they aren't all doing the same thing.

So, is SCA heavy combat a martial art? Yup. Is it a combat sport? Yup. Could someone win a fight with it? Yup. Could someone lose a fight with it? Yup. Is it a sword art? Um, not really. It's a stick art with a strong nod towards the idea of swords (and some folks nodding a lot more strongly than others). No doubt there are plenty of SCA fighters who would die quickly in fight with sharps, but that's true of a lot of other martial artists too. I also know a number of SCA fighters who *have* trained in other arts, and it would be a mistake to think they can't adjust what they do to the situation. I know a bunch of sport fencers who are like that too. What's my point? Any adversary should be considered very dangerous until you have probed them enough to understand what they are capable of.

Bestial fencers, and people with no sense of self preservation can be just as dangerous as those skilled in the art. This is repeated over and over in the period literature. How can we consider them less than martial?
I was at the gym that last two hours doing my squats and deadlifts and kicking around this idea that I have heard a number of times in relation to "mindset". It really has me puzzled. I am not really sure how I feel about it so I will put a few ideas out there and see what feedback I get.

It has been suggested that the Masters that wrote historic fighting texts are somehow able to capture and convey the proper mindset through the techniques they illustrate to the modern reader since they have the benefit of having lived in a time when men died by the sword. That is something I need broken down. I don't think anyone of us believe that there is anything magical in the ink and paper, so what is it that is being conveyed that can not be captured otherwise? I am open on this.

The commonality I see in all the fighting arts I have encountered is the basic concept of defending at all times and striking when an opportunity is available or one is created. Very simple. No fancy wording or anything. It is basic to my sword and shield fighting, my rapier fighting, the longsword I study... it just make sense. It does not mean that people who practice the sword arts will do this properly all the time but the idea is there as a basic foundation. It was there from the time of the ancient Spartans who carried their shield into battle in front of them ( not behind them).

Is this the whole issue (defending first) or is there something more that I am missing. Is it fearless-ness. How do you teach people not to be afraid. Everyone, except a person with nothing to live for or a crazy person, will experience some fear before a life and death struggle. In any combat system you train the people so that when they go into battle their training will take over and they don't have to think about the details of what they are doing. In any training system some people will do what they have been trained to do and some will not. That is a statistical issue. In non of our sword training programs can we simulate a real life and death struggle. We can simulate a very intense desire to win.

I can not understand why it has been suggested that in a life and death struggle we would defend first and then attack... but when we just want to win a tournament we would attack without defending first? It does not make sense. You do what you train to do. If you take winning serious, you will act the same way regardless if your life is on the line or not. If you are suicidal by habit in sparring when you want to win, you will most likely be suicidal with sharp blades too. A person who attacks suicidally does so because it is the best he can do. In my longsword sparring I sometimes attack without closing off my opponents lines first. I do this because I am not aware I am doing it, not because I don't care. I would likely make the same mistake in a duel with sharp swords and die as a result.

Am I on target with the whole mindset thing? I need some clarity and I think other people in this forum need it too.

I would also like to take a moment to thank all of you for participating in 8 pages of good discussion so far. I don't want to pretend to know everything or anything. I just ask questions, test, observe, report and ask questions again.
Gavin Kisebach wrote:
I just hope that all of this impassioned debate is the run-up to an enormous inter-discipline tournament that will build friendships and enlighten everyone.

All of this quasi-politeness through clenched teeth is fine, but ultimately only the Vassilis Tsafatinos can really say that he's put his money where his mouth is. BTW I've watched those bouts four or five times now, there's a lot of good stuff in there.

Hey me and Adam are doing the same thing this labor day in Fresno as well :) . I think it would be awesome to see more inter-dicipline matches to see what we can learn from each other. Should be great fun.
Sorry, my mind was focusing on the Renaissance on since we were talking about rapier. What I specificaly had in mind was the progression from Longsword, to Cut and Thrust, to Rapier to Small and then to Epee sword. With some exceptions, there is a general trend in downsizing.

And on a closer look, you'll see that the downsizing trend is closely related to the increasing dominance of gunpowder weaponry. ;)

Or maybe not. The broadswords of heavy cavalrymen remained (relatively) heavy until at least the late 19th century. Would it be fair to say that the trend towards lighter swords could only be definitely seen in civilian combat? It would seem that military swordsmen (or at least soldiers who carried swords for whatever reason) retained a certain fondness for relatively broad cutting blades like broadswords, sabers, and hangers.
I can not understand why it has been suggested that in a life and death struggle we would defend first and then attack... but when we just want to win a tournament we would attack without defending first? It does not make sense. You do what you train to do. If you take winning serious, you will act the same way regardless if your life is on the line or not. If you are suicidal by habit in sparring when you want to win, you will most likely be suicidal with sharp blades too. A person who attacks suicidally does so because it is the best he can do. In my longsword sparring I sometimes attack without closing off my opponents lines first. I do this because I am not aware I am doing it, not because I don't care. I would likely make the same mistake in a duel with sharp swords and die as a result.

First, when studying HES, for instance the Liechtenauer system that I am teaching you, you are being trained to close lines when you attack and to counter (or otherwise deal with by voiding etc.) all incoming attacks in a way that allows for an instant single time counter when possible. Your training, however, is relatively new and will take some time to stick. You practice more than most and take to things faster, so it will stick faster than usual, but it will still take time. You will get there.

Second, you do not "defend all the time" or "defend first". The German system teaches that it is good to take the initiative, but to do so in a way that closes your opponents ability to counter. I have taught you the inherent timing advantage of the defender (which is very powerful), and I have taught you how to neutralize it, but this training has not stuck yet (don't worry, it will).

Finally, when you feel fear before a bout, you are afraid of different things than you would be facing sharp steel in a fight to the death. When you feel fear before a bout, you can be afraid of several things...of losing and being embarassed, of having to question your training, of being hit and feeling pain, of looking bad in front of your girlfriend, etc. When you face sharp steel, you are afraid of being split open like a Christmas turkey, feeling agonizing pain, and, finally of never going home again, never sleeping, never eating, making love, telling your parents you love them, or doing anything at all, ever. You are afraid of the ultimate humiliation of being opened and exposed to the world, your innards and the contents of your bowels spread around you for all to see. You are afraid to die. The instrument of that death is being held in your opponent's hands, and when that thing comes at you, you had damned well better make sure you deal with it, or your fear will be realized and your blood, intestines, urine and feces will spill onto the grass and you will stare up into your opponents smug eyes as the world starts to grow dark. The fact that you also hit him and he is lying next to you will be of lilttle use to you as you slip away into oblivion (or wheverer your belief system tells you you're going).

Even if you conquer the fear, you are still aware of the reality, and don't want to die (unless you are insane).

So you train a way that allows you to win without taking a hit...this is a necessity, not a luxury. When you attack, you attack in a way that closes a line. When you defend, you don't just parry and wait for the next attack, you parry in a way that allows a single time counter. You want to end this fight as quickly and efficiently as possible, for the longer it goes on, the more chance that you will be a stinking pile of meat when it's over. If you launch an attack and see a counter coming, or a suicidal undercut, you abort your attack and deal with that counter. This is exemplified in the zornhau plays...if you remain fixated on your attack, you get stabbed in the face from my counter. If you change to a defense but overcomit, I take off and come around and cleave your head. If you keep your head, don't overcomit and wind, you can turn my counter around and stab me. But if you don't respect the ability of my sword to turn you in to a rotting worm filled carcass, you will die. Maybe I'll die too, but that won't do much for you.

In a bout, you can get hit many times, but if you get more hits on your opponent, you still win. You still go home, you still kiss your girlfriend, still have a beer. You said Adam outfought you with longsword, and that you outfought him with the shield, but had the fight been real, we'd be burying both of you, no one wins (especially in the longsword fights). Look at how many times the response of one of you to an incoming attack is to undercut it or attack to the other side, while squinting and scrunching your shoulders in anticipation of the pain from the attack you're not dealing with.

In a bout, it's easy to convince yourself that although he hit you, you hit him first, or harder, or more cleanly, and that might have stopped him from hitting you. Yeah, that sounds right. You're the best! But regardless of whether you rationalize it or not, no one is going to die. Everyone goes home as friends. After our bouting at NYHFA, we talk about what happened and we go out for beers and burgers. It's a jolly good time, and a completely different animal than the earnest combat the treatises are preparing us for (at least those treatises that do deal with earnest combat...some, like Meyer, also deal with sporting combat).

The fechbucher do not convey that mindset at all, they take it for granted. Statements like "if you attack him, he must defend, and so you are safe" do not even allow the possibility of suicidal counters. That is because they lived in a time when most people knew what a bladed weapon could do because they saw first hand what happens to the human body when struck with one. The angry peasant splitting another's head with an axe (these accounta are common in judicial recods), a judicial duel, a battle. There were no antibiotics, no sparkling clean hospital rooms where your family brings you flowers while you heal your cut. The reality of dirty and grizzly death made sure these people respected the ability of a hand held weapon to turn you into excrement.

People today don't have this mindset, and that brings forth another underlying question....what if by some fabulous twist of the laws of physics, sword combat becomes prevalent once again and you find yourself facing a master olympic sport fencer that you know, because you have understood what I taught you, has spent 20 years fighting in a system that allows him to ignore incoming attacks as long as he hits first? Well unfortunately, he's probably going to kill you, and you're probably going to kill him too. His training is not compatible with fighting for your life. Fortunately, it's never going to happen, but there's a lesson here...

If you want to win bouts, HEMA is going to help you, but only so far. Winning without being hit is harder than winning while being able to take a shot. Given two opponents of equal skill and athleticism, the one trained in bouting is going to have an edge over the one trained in HES, because he has the luxury of not caring whether he gets hit or not. Sure, he'll avoid it if he can, but it's not imperative to him. The HES guy, on the other hand, if being true to his training, will treat that padded sword, blunt or shinai like the real thing. David Teague over at SFI coined a nice term for the mentality you develop through competive bouting...he calls it the "Reset Button" mentality. "Oh, I got killed..reset!". In earnest combat, there are no resets, and when you train HES in earnets, with the goal of not wining bouts but recreating the art as it was intended (sporting arts aside), you must train as though there is no reset button, or you are not being true to the art.

The reset button mentality is a luxury we have today, and to me represents the greatest problem faced by HEMA. It is a problem we at NYHFA have strived, and will forever strive to overcome with as much dilligence as we can muster. But I am fully aware we can never completely overcome it, nor can we teach all of our members to overcome it, nor will all of them want to. My job is to make you aware of it, to make you truly understand it. This is what I have been trying to do, and I will continue to do it as longs as you continue to be willing to learn.

Last edited by Michael Edelson on Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Edelson wrote:

The reset button mentality is a luxury we have today, and to me represents the greatest problem faced by HEMA. It is a problem we at NYHFA have strived, and will forever strive to overcome with as much dilligence as we can muster. But I am fully aware we can never completely overcome it, nor can we teach all of our members to overcome it, nor will all of them want to. My job is to make you aware of it, to make you truly understand it. This is what I have been trying to do, and I will continue to do it as longs as you continue to be willing to learn.

Well said, friend. I couldn't agree more.

Regards,
Jason
Sure, modern fencing has stupid rules like rights of way

I apologize if I stray too far off topic here, but I feel that right of way deserves a little defense.

I used to feel the same way about right of way. I preferred epee to foil and sabre because I thought fencing without right of way it was more realistic. Over the years I've come full circle and embraced right of way because I don't think there's anything less realistic than not defending yourself.

It is my understanding that right of way was introduced to combat gamesmanship and reduce the number of double hits. I see right of way as something that's there to keep you honest. You can attack without the right of way (attack into an attack), but you only get the touch if you don't get hit. Right of way does not mean you must parry and then riposte when attacked, simply that you must avoid getting hit. If you counterattack with opposition, and hit while closing the line you were attacked in, it's your touch. If you simply counterattack without doing anything about the initial attack, it doesn't matter if you hit first or not, the rule is there so that suicidal behavior is not rewarded.

Now, judging right of way is a different story, even more so in the modern game's shifting definition of what constitutes an attack. But I think the rule is a pretty good compromise that allows for sportive bouting while stressing the importance of hitting without being hit.
Everyone should note that Michael's talking about the German school specifically, not all Western martial arts. In Silver's system, for example, single time defenses aren't required. There's no notion that an attack will force defense and keep you safe. Silver knew about and condemned double kills. He knew about suicidally aggressive opponents as well. Consider his account of people who believed the thruster to have the advantage. I suspect his resolute men half drunke would be in the same category.

I must again question the idea that we moderns are so much more fearless than folks back in the day. While any rational martial art of course values defense first, historical warriors were often willing to sacrifice themselves under the right circumstances. Fighting in the front lines of a pike formation could be nearly a death sentence. Florange claimed only six of the three or four hundred in the landsknechts' first rank at Novara survived. Though victorious, the Swiss suffered significant losses in that battle.

The culture at the time valued honor above life. That, I think, is one reason why duelists could place attack above defense. They wanted to look good, to fight bravely, to make sure they other guy didn't walk away unhurt.
Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Everyone should note that Michael's talking about the German school specifically, not all Western martial arts.

Yes and no. The specifics of my post are about the German school, but many general poitns apply almost universally.

Quote:
In Silver's system, for example, single time defenses aren't required. There's no notion that an attack will force defense and keep you safe. Silver knew about and condemned double kills. He knew about suicidally aggressive opponents as well. Consider his account of people who believed the thruster to have the advantage. I suspect his resolute men half drunke would be in the same category.

That is because Silver addresses the problem in a different manner, but he does address it. By condeming double kills, and by providing the framework to avoid them, he is just as aware of the problem as the medieval Germans.

Double kills happened in period all too often. No one is perfect. The difference is they didn't usually train for them, particularly in the medieval German and Itallian systems.

Quote:
I must again question the idea that we moderns are so much more fearless than folks back in the day.

I dont' think I've yet made by point; we are certainly not more fearless...we just don't have nearly as much to fear. What is losing a bout and getting a bruise compared to agonizing death and/or the disgrace that falls on you and your family for being proven the loser in a judicial duel?

Quote:
While any rational martial art of course values defense first, historical warriors were often willing to sacrifice themselves under the right circumstances.

That is always a personal choice influenced largely by culture. I have heard of Japanese arts where a double kill is acceptable because within the context of the cutlure and the application of that system, it is a win as long as you take out your opponent (an imperial or shogunate bodyguard, for example). However, there is nothing in European culture that I have ever come accross that suggests it is acceptable to throw away your life to win a judicial duel, or to defeat brigands who accost you on a highway, etc. Even if that were so, there are times when sacrifice is required, and you make that choice consciuosly. What you do not do is train to die without meaning to.

Last edited by Michael Edelson on Sat 30 Aug, 2008 8:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Darn it, I didn't mean to get back into this. :)

My post was addressed at Bill. I have no will power when it comes to these arguments. I am going to go away now, try to not post anymore, and write "I am a very bad man" on the blackboard 100 times.
Thank you Michael for your response. I will read it a few times over and think about it.

I offer to you for consideration the exact thoughts that went though my head in the first one minute as Adam and I were facing off and before we committed to engagement.

Quote:
The setup was familiar to me except for one variable, the low legs. I expected that they would be the prime target and I set up with my right leg forward and my sword in a low guard on that leg. I was confident that my shield would protect my upper body. I thought to try to provoke Adam into attacking me with a few thrusts. Adam warded my thrusts away. It became clear after we crossed tips a few times that Adam was not going to just jump on my sword. I knew that I would have to gain control of Adam's sword with my shield in order to do anything. No other sure way to proceed. I thought to myself to be patient. Then an uncomfortable feeling struck me. Was I being patient or complacent. I started the fight like spring under full tension and I felt that I just let some of that tension out. I need it back. I need to be ready to explode when I have to. I must be ready to react to Adam when he acts. Am I getting relaxed... or am I getting tired. It seems like we have been circling each other for 10 minutes. I fear that this circling will run down my battery. If I get even a little tired I may not react fast enough. If I don't do something now I will loose. I have to go now!

We had scheduled this duel many months ahead so there was a lot of anticipation built up.

We fought for a whole hour after that with just a few 5 minute breaks according to Mike. In those other matches my mind was pretty much a blank with little higher level thoughts other then planning a misdirection. I was just running on autopilot treating those matches as practice.

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Sat 30 Aug, 2008 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Right of Way and Martial Artistry

Dietrich Dellinger wrote:
Sure, modern fencing has stupid rules like rights of way

I apologize if I stray too far off topic here, but I feel that right of way deserves a little defense.

I used to feel the same way about right of way. I preferred epee to foil and sabre because I thought fencing without right of way it was more realistic. Over the years I've come full circle and embraced right of way because I don't think there's anything less realistic than not defending yourself.

I would like to second this statement. Right of way is a highly important principle of fencing that requires a student of the sword arts respect the attack of his opponent and to respect his own defense. It is called "fencing" because it is the art of defense.

Historically, a fencer would begin with the foil and train with it until the principles of fencing (including right of way) were drilled into his muscle memory. Only then would he graduate to saber, which expanded attack options to cuts, or to épée, which expanded a broader target area. Right of way does not disappear when a fencer picks up a saber or an épée; rather, it is assumed that the fencer knows the art well enough that it will be automatic. However, as foil, saber, and épée moved into the realm of sport, priorities changed.

As Bill Grandy has mentioned, a sport is NOT a bad thing. A lot of Meyer's 1570 treatise deals with sport fencing, which is why the thrust is largely absent in the longsword section. The thrust was removed for safety concerns, much like certain aspects of combat are barred from SCA fencing.

Joachim Meyer, 1570 wrote:
But here I remind the friendly reader at the outset, since there is a great difference between sword combat in our time and how it was practiced by our predecessors and the combat masters of old, that this account of the cuts will only cover what is currently in use and pertinent to the sword. And as to the practice of former days, when they fought dangerously both with cuts and thrusts, I will discuss it in its proper and separate place.

Sport fencing, such as Olympic foil or SCA heavy combat, is a great way to hone skills and to become proficient at a specific skill-set. But to train exclusively within the confines of the sport is restricting.

My fencing background started with SCA heavy fencing in the West Kingdom, Olympic fencing in the French school, the German Liechtenauer school, to some extent the Italian Fiore school, and a bit of Fabris. My original mindset in the SCA and with Olympic fencing was exactly that which Michael Edelson described. I figured that if I didn't hit my opponent this time, I will do so next time. That is an artifact of training solely within a sport.

It wasn't until I began studying the historical manuals of Liechtenauer, Fiore, Fabris, and the classical French foil that I learned the importance of right of way. Right of way is an artificial rule added to the sport that reinforces the mindset required to keep a fencer alive (as was described by Michael Edelson a few posts before this one).

Now that I have this knowledge, I intend to apply these principles the next time I strap on my SCA armor, the next time I go through winding exercises with metal blunts with my 16th century German group, when I bout with a French foil in my hand, or engage in other competitive environments (which is to say, when not doing drills with a partner).

It was said that SCA combat has to be a martial art because it makes someone good at fighting. But so can football. Football involves tackling, running into an opponent with the proper bio-mechanics to disrupt him, strength building, coordination, and other skills necessary in a fight. But football is not a martial art. Neither is SCA combat or Olympic fencing on its own. After all, sporting rules such as no grappling, no hitting below the knee, and right-of-way do not exist in an earnest fight. These sports and the rules within those sports are but a tool in the drawer of a giant workbench that is a martial art.

(Craig)

Of Sword and Board

Referring to the videos in the original post, I was rooting for the sword-and-board to win. I have a particular fondness for sword and shield combat that I do not have the opportunity to practice as a Landsknecht reenactor (I have a pike in my hand 80% of the time and, once it's gone, my Katzbalger is all that remains). Another reason I was rooting for sword and shield against the longsword is that, according to George Silver, the longsword has the advantage.

Quote:
The two handed sword has the vantage against the sword and target, the sword and buckler, the sword and dagger, or rapier and poniard.

I don't necessarily completely agree with Silver on the topic "Of the vantages of weapons in their kinds, places, & times, both in private and public fight." Plus, I was rooting for the sword and shield to win because I think SCA combat is fun and the sport gets a bad rap.

Good job experimenting and I think that the topic raised has been worthwhile.

(Craig)

Re: Of Sword and Board
Craig Shira wrote:

... Another reason I was rooting for sword and shield against the longsword is that, according to George Silver, the longsword has the advantage.

Quote:
The two handed sword has the vantage against the sword and target, the sword and buckler, the sword and dagger, or rapier and poniard.

I don't necessarily completely agree with Silver on the topic "Of the vantages of weapons in their kinds, places, & times, both in private and public fight." Plus, I was rooting for the sword and shield to win because I think SCA combat is fun and the sport gets a bad rap.

One thing to note is that Silver's Target or buckler are different to large "heater" shields. Size and shape makes a fair bit of difference in how a shield is used, in my experience. Maybe Silver was right about the kinds of shield in use in his time. Or maybe not. More experiments! More Videos! Yay!

Marc
Re: Of Sword and Board
Marc Pengryffyn wrote:

One thing to note is that Silver's Target or buckler are different to large "heater" shields. Size and shape makes a fair bit of difference in how a shield is used, in my experience. Maybe Silver was right about the kinds of shield in use in his time. Or maybe not. More experiments! More Videos! Yay!

Marc

I second that!!!

P. Cha wrote:

Hey me and Adam are doing the same thing this labor day in Fresno as well :) . I think it would be awesome to see more inter-dicipline matches to see what we can learn from each other. Should be great fun.

Be sure and bring back some video for us to discus!
Well I will be using the smaller round strap on shield (yeah yeah a very bad shield design I know) for my duel so we'll see how that goes oppose to Tsafa's big shield :) .

Razor from SBG will be there to shoot the videos so it'll be fun.
P. Cha wrote:
Well I will be using the smaller round strap on shield (yeah yeah a very bad shield design I know) for my duel so we'll see how that goes oppose to Tsafa's big shield :) .

Just a question to the SCA guys out there: Why is a medium, fairly light, round shield (i.e. a target/rotella) a bad design? Authors such as Agrippa, Digrassi, Marozzo, Silver, Page and many more teach its use as a feature of their system, therefore, it couldn't have been too bad in period. Yet I see SCA people all the time disparaging this type of shield in favour of a heavy, large heater shield. (Plus, Marozzo's sword and rotella system that I saw being used in the video I posted earlier seemed viable...)
P. Cha wrote:

Have you done any shieldfighting before or are you just experimenting?

Sam N. wrote:

Just a question to the SCA guys out there: Why is a medium, fairly light, round shield (i.e. a target/rotella) a bad design? Authors such as Agrippa, Digrassi, Marozzo, Silver, Page and many more teach its use as a feature of their system, therefore, it couldn't have been too bad in period. Yet I see SCA people all the time disparaging this type of shield in favour of a heavy, large heater shield. (Plus, Marozzo's sword and rotella system that I saw being used in the video I posted earlier seemed viable...)

Not a bad shield, just a different one. Each shield-type has a different fighting style associated with it. Fighting with a small round vs a heater is just as different a fight as going from a rapier to an arming sword. On the west coast they prefer small rounds. In the east large heaters are more popular. As you travel around the SCA kingdoms you will notice preferences from kingdom to kingdom (kites, wangles, coffins). You will see some variation too within kingdoms as people are free to migrate around the country and use what ever shields they prefer. Going to Pennsic is fun because you get to fight against shields and other weapon forms that are not common in your area.

With the heater I do most of the blocking with my corners. I look around form behind the corner keeping myself covered. The large shield limits my range of motion somewhat, so I train my sword arm to fight around the shield. I do just a little sword blocking. My sword is pretty much on full-time offense.

With the small round you still keep it in front of you and fight around it, but the effort is much less since it limits your range of motion less. You have to depend on sword-blocking a lot more for defense. So it allows you some more offense in the sense of more range or motion but at the same time ties up your offense because you need your sword for defense too.

Which one you use should be based on what the other people in your practice use (not what you might prefer to use). This is because they will be able to train you in that style better. Its fun to try different types of shields every once in a while, but you should commit to learning one at a time from people who are experienced in that shield type.

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Sat 30 Aug, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 8 times in total
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Page 8 of 11

Jump to: