Wonderful original 17th c. sword
just saw this in a newsletter from Garth Vincent Antiques.....

http://www.guns.uk.com/store/shop/shop.php?action=full&id=238
very, very nice original.

Not sure if I'd classify it as a "mortuary "hilt though....

Cheers,
Re: Wonderful original 17th c. sword
Thats the sword from the HH auction earlier this summer. Now I know who beat me! It was one of the nicest swords in the auction. although mid 17th c. I wouldn't call it an English Mortuary though, it was listed as German or Flemish by the auctioneer. once again the 50% dealer markup :cry: looks totally original and note the fluted (rather than spiral) grip, really nicely done plates, the nice fluting on the main bars. very nice sword that one, it has traces of gilt on the plates too. tr

Attachment: 22.09 KB
61538_b.jpg

This type is seen in the last chapter of Mazansky's "British Basket Hilted Swords", classified as "hilts based on pierced side rings", as distinct from mortuary hilts. These are both nice examples, I am dying to see one from multiple angles.
Justin King wrote:
This type is seen in the last chapter of Mazansky's "British Basket Hilted Swords", classified as "hilts based on pierced side rings", as distinct from mortuary hilts. These are both nice examples, I am dying to see one from multiple angles.

Yes, Justin

Once I got home from work, I went straight for my copy of Mazansky to look this up......
Justin King wrote:

For a couple more views of this sword, go to the end of this thread - http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=13795
Thanks for the pointer, Roger. I have a fascination with these hilts, if I ever get to a point where I can weld compound hilts I hope to make one of these.
I thought Mortuary swords were typically backswords? Or is my mind fogged from looking at the terminal too long today?
Chris Arrington wrote:
I thought Mortuary swords were typically backswords? Or is my mind fogged from looking at the terminal too long today?

mortuary hilts were fitted with single and double edged blades.

Cheers,

Bill
mortuary with a single edge / back-sword blade...

mortuary with a double edge blade...

WOW! that is a beutiful original piece!

I love the two simple swirls in the basket. and if I was to own it I would never clean/remove the antiqued tarnish. I love that look. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: