Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Morrish sword, what is it called? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Duncan

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Morrish sword, what is it called?         Reply with quote

First real post here.
Now first off I know that this is not a functional sword and in no way would I want one from this company ( mainly because I have no self restraint when it comes to cutting.) And I know that it is probably not a good copy of the original type sword, all I really want to know is what type of sword is this called? I know that it is Moorish and it was used during the years that Isabella and Ferdinand were doing every thing in there power to drive out any Moor the saw.
So what is this type of sword called?
The blade looks to be a XI and since at the time (1492) Moors still used a shield that makes some sense.
Any thoughts?
Dunc

Attachment: 26.51 KB
543.jpg

May you live as long as you want but never want for as long as you live
Juan Carlos Llaurado

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

Also my first post here.
This sword is called (in spanish) a "Gineta". Donīt know what would it be its english name, though.

This is the most common sword that arabs had while in Spain (Al-Andalus then).

And yes, itīs a wallhanger. Most of the replicas actually sold in Toledo are not battle ready by any mean. Some of them look gorgeous, but are tourist-aimed gifts. Itīs not easy to find good and correct historical replicas nowadays in Toledo (shame on us).

Juan Carlos
Bill Duncan

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Muchos gracias!
Yeah the ones I posted are not what you would call Historically accurate but they were all I could find on line for a picture.
I have a Atrim bare blade XI that I think would look grand as one of these type swords (right now it is waiting for a pommel to make it a “Colado de Cid”. See a Spanish theme here?) An d if I can make these hilts interchangeable then two fine looking sword will I have!
Funny thing about this idea is the fact that El Cid’s time swords where of the Xa and XI type (1065-1102 more or less) while Moors three hundred years later used the same type and there Spanish counterparts used XVIII type swords.
Will see what happens and post updates.
Dunc

Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting

Does the star of David (located on the hilt of the sword pictured above) have a meaning in arab or Moor culture other than the obvious Jewish associations of the 6 pointed star?
Bill Duncan

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Worried Since both Islam and Christendom came from the Jewish faith it would not surprise me if it did.
But to be honest I have no idea.

Juan Carlos Llaurado

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi again Bill,

Here you have several other Gineta models, these ones from Teruel.

Actually, there are many opinions stating that the Cidīs Tizona was actually a Gineta, but the original has suffered some alterations in its history, and the actual hilt and guard it is believed to be much newer than the blade itself .(XVth century quite possibly).

As in regards to the Colada, thereīs not many information on this sword (only that it did belong to El Cid), and the actual representation is not to be trusted at all, those quillons are not historically correct for his time. There are several unidentified blades in the Museum belonging to that period, and one of those could actually be the Colada, but almost surely weīll never know.

Iīve got a friend working at the Real Museo del Ejercito here in Madrid (soon to be moved to Toledo), where the original (supposed original) Tizona is kept (not the one shown to the visitors), so if you have some questions regarding these swords i could get real good information out of him.

cheers
Juan Carlos
Bill Duncan

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man that is really nice of you!
I guess I should have been a little more descriptive on the Colada De Cid that I have in mind, It will be a typical XI with a brazil nut pommel and antler grip and a very short guard.
Of the few swords I have seen of this period the guards were not overly long and given the fact that the Cid was a fighting man this type makes since to me.
On the last pic you posted I can see the resemblance of the two types of swords and how one could have influenced the idea of the Colada.
Thank you for the help!
Dunc

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Morrish sword, what is it called?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic