Jason Dingledine Tanto and Rick Barrett Fighter
The post of Jason's Type Y Viking reminding me I've been meaning to post a couple "shorties" that I got in during the last few months. These two beauties are holding me over until my two long-running custom projects finish up. I have a custom Jian coming in from Jason, which was mailed at the last minute before he left for the Army on Tuesday morning and should be in soon, and my katana (http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11795) is nearing completion.

But there will be time to discuss those later. :) For tonight, I wanted to share a Tano and a Fighter, by Jason Dingledine and Rick Barrett, respectively.

The tanto is a Hira Zukuri style piece by Jason, polished and mounted by Brandon Thell. I'd really like to try and get better pictures of the Hamon, however my fussy digital camera and the poor interior light (my lamp needs a new bulb) would not cooperate. The suguha (straight) hamon on the cutting edge is visible, but it actually rolls back into three sections of hamon along the mune, or spine (called mune-yaki). It's quite attractive if you can catch it in the right light! Which I did not... :) The blade length on this piece, including the habiki, is right about 9.25". The tsuka has a black leather wrap, with buffalo horn fuchi and kashira than have a quite attractive pattern on them. Again, I'll have to try and get some better pictures at some point. The saya has a "ribbing" pattern on it.

The next piece is a "fighter" from Rick Barrett. This piece falls into the "Contemporary" realm. I'm quite taken with it, it is very mean in the hand. It certainly feels like a "business" blade. The are near the handle was left with a "rough from forge" style texture before leading into the mirror-polished blade. This one is another beast -- the overall length is almost right at 1' even. The blade, counting the finger-grip section, is right at 7.5" with the sharpened section just over 6". And some extra attention has to be given to the sheath, which is even better looking in person. The sheath was made by Tree Stump Leather (http://www.treestumpleather.com/), who I had not heard of before Rick showed me this knife. This knife was picked up as a companion of sorts for another piece of mine by Rick -- a "Ranger" inspired longsword that is similar to a Type XVIa. They make quite the pair. :)

Attachment: 102.36 KB
fighter_cross.jpg

Attachment: 38.81 KB
fighter_profile_sheathed.jpg

Attachment: 71.61 KB
tando_blade_1.jpg

Attachment: 29.27 KB
tanto_profile.jpg

Attachment: 97.98 KB
sword_handle.jpg
The Rick Barrett type XVIa which matches the fighter nicely!
Some nice pieces there. I especially like the smooth shape of the tanto blade, very nasty looking.

Do you know what type of wood was used for the fighter's handle? Great finish on that.
I believe it's ziricote, but I'm a little tired and my brain might be lyingto me. I'll double check with Rick.
I like that fighter quite a bit. It reminds me of the days where I used to collect custom knives. Ahh, the good ol' days.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: