Go to page 1, 2  Next

Albions "other" Next Generation .....
Just wanted to let folks know that Leif Hansen, Albion's photographer, web guy, wax guy, cutler, etc is now a new dad to boot! He and his wife Rebekah are the proud parents of a new baby girl. Mom and daughter are reportedly doing fine although there's some rumor of Leif wandering aimlessly with a shell-shocked expression on his face.

Congratulation Leif!
Welcome to the Daddy club Leif!
Congratulations, Leif!

James
:D Woo Hoo! :D
:D Congrats Leif! :D
Congratulations, Leif! :)
Cute subject header Harlan!

Yep, there are new parents in the myArmoury family, and both Leif and Rebekah are far more excited about it than any human should have a right to be. :lol:

I went by the hospital last night after work to see how the crew was doing. Rowan was 7 lbs and 12 oz when she was born, but is apparently trying very hard to gain as much weight as she can before she leaves the hospital. She was feeding the whole time I was there, and according to her parents, she just eats and sleeps - eats and sleeps - eats and sleeps. No crying, just eating... and sleeping...

But wow... what a little beauty. It's the closest I've ever been to the birth of a child - seeing it only 12 hours after birth. Babies are so soft!! She actually took a 2 minute break from feeding to let me see her (however, she was doing that "yummy" thing with her mouth the whole time, apparently to let us know that as soon as we were done admiring her, she wanted more food...).

So what Leif really needs now is advice... so anyone who has advice about being a great father please feel free to pass it on to him. He is a sponge for information... :) Best thing you ever did as a parent... Most important thing you learned as a parent... Second, third and fourth most important things you learned... and so on, and so on... Hit him with it!
Well, Leif.....If you spent more time in the shop, this wouldn't happen. Ha! Just joshin' , my friend! Congrats to you and the wife. Hope baby is doing fine. Start her early and build her a hand-and-a half rattle! Congrats again!
Congrats, Leif! Being a daddy is quite a handful, and as my son is just 13 months old, I feel it's a bit early for me to come with advice...
I'm glad that I only have one daughter and two sons. Girls are a different animal altogether.

Advice?

Just start preparing yourself now, for the day when your daughter comes home and says "Dad, I'm.............."

I'll let you wonder about the rest of that sentence :p
Photo of Munchkin and Dad
Wanted to share a quick photo of the munchkin, Rowan Elena Hansen, with her new dad. Everyone is home now, and all is well. Leif is now looking for nightlights in the shape of knights - anyone seen any available?

Attachment: 24.61 KB
rowan and dad.jpg

Lovely picture. Congratulations to all. Can't really offer advice. My kids are all grown up and (I think) they turned out nice, but I've still no real idea how we got there.
Geoff
Wow - I admittedly expected a lot of advice to flow. But apparently, what they say is true - just do it, and hope and pray you do it well. :-)

I can't believe neither Howy nor Eric haven't come on to say, "Never put a stick in your eye... never put a stick in your eye... always put a stick in your eye..."

Here's another photo...

Attachment: 16.3 KB
rowansleepy.jpg

Re: Photo of Munchkin and Dad
Amy Christensen-Waddell wrote:
Leif is now looking for nightlights in the shape of knights - anyone seen any available?

Like these?

http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=33565
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...6?v=glance
Unfortunately Amy there's no primer for raising a child, so advice is generally worthless in this regard ;)

All you can do is jump in with both feet and kick like crazy. Raising a child is the most daunting yet rewarding thing a person can do.

If I had to give serious advice it would be this:

Love and acceptance are not the same thing. Love you children no matter what, but don't accept any and all behaviors because it will come back to haunt you ten-fold.

Building self respect isn't about cushioning your children from lifes travails. It's about teaching your kids to deal with losing as well as winning, with lose as well as gain. Handing them life on a silver platter doesn't teach them anything, make them work for it. They'll respect you and themselves all the more because of it.

When your child is growing up be willing to take the heat. If you're doing your job as a parent at some point they'll say "I hate you!" It will hurt, but be willing to stand there and take it without giving in. Years later they'll thank you for it, and you'll be all the more prouder of them.

Above all, lead by example. If you talk the talk you *have got to* walk the walk. Kids don't miss much and if you don't practice what you preach they won't respect you. As the old saying goes "Little pictures have big ears".

Seeing that picture of Leif makes me relieved that I'm past that stage, yet it also makes me a bit envious as well.
congrats leif! she is beautiful, spoil her as often as possible :)
Steve Fabert wrote:
Like these?

http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=33565
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...6?v=glance

Hey Steve - thanks for that!

It's close... He was looking for the kind that you plug into your wall outlet. Your links however made me find this link, which is quite interesting, and may have just solved the problem...

http://www.firebirdarts.com/guydolls/7knightlight01.shtml

Thanks!!
Wow -- Patrick!
You go Patrick! Now that's what I'm talkin' about! That's good stuff - thank you for that!
Amy Christensen-Waddell wrote:
He was looking for the kind that you plug into your wall outlet.

I remembered where I had seen something similar.
http://www.thesteelsource.com/html/knightlights.htm
One of the many things I love about my job at Albion is the fact that I've made so many friends, both those I have met in person and those on the Net. We are so flattered to discover all the congratulations and well-wishings on myArmoury! Rebekah, Rowan and I truly appreciate it.

The advice is valuable and well taken. I had many fears and concerns about all the new responsibilities and changes I would be facing and all the new demands on my time, but I don't mind saying that the moment you see your baby appear in the world and it is put into your arms, well it's enough to instantly transform a man. It's quite an experience to immediately fall in love with someone you've never seen before. As far as I'm concerned I have the two most beautiful girls in the world by my side. I must echo the words of my brother Shawn when I say that rather than losing my identity when my child was born, in fact I truly found it. I know it certainly won't all be easy - for instance last night I was initiated into the wonderful world of "spitting up." :confused: Several times. But going through this has definitely awakened a part of myself that I didn't know I had before.

Thanks also for the links to the "knight lights!" It's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm taking a week off of work, but rest assured Albion customers that I shipped as many extra hilt components to the foundries as I could before our due date, so existing orders are being worked on!
I wanted to add an update since I've begun seeing signs of a great future warrior, or at least a berserker of some sort or another. It seems my Scandinavian roots are still alive!
Compare...

[ Linked Image ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: