Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dismountable hilts on Western swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
As an example, judging a very basic Oakeshott Type XV sword in the context of a hero's sword from a fantasy movie is likely going to be as unfruitful as judging Conan's sword in the context of historical parameters.

Now, now. You make it sound as such comparisons are meaningless. Personally, I find them stimulating. Happy

Chris Fields wrote:

One thing people may be forgetting with peened tangs, even compression ones. Is that you can not grind the peen off, change the grip, and expect to replace a new grip with the same handle length. Your handle length will have to get shorter every time you grind off the peen, because there is not as much material on the end the tang anymore.

Would could grind down the shoulders of the blade, thus getting the same length of tang at the cost of a slightly shorter sword.

It's basically the same problem, of course, but it's an option.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
As an example, judging a very basic Oakeshott Type XV sword in the context of a hero's sword from a fantasy movie is likely going to be as unfruitful as judging Conan's sword in the context of historical parameters.

Now, now. You make it sound as such comparisons are meaningless. Personally, I find them stimulating. Happy

I'm encouraging people to make certain they judge things in the proper context and couch discussions within that context. In other words, it might be a stimulating conversation to discuss the effectiveness of Conan's Atlantean sword in medieval combat, but having such a conversation without any mention of that sword not being like anything history has seen is not really going to lead to any knowledge. Failure to mention the context of such things would result in the Conan sword being summarily dismissed by anybody with any knowledge of historical arms and armour; however, discussing such context could allow all to benefit from such a talk.

Look at how Patrick Kelly address the Conan sword in our hands-on review to see how he discussed the sword and addressed these issues. It well illustrates the point, which is why there is a Conan sword reviewed on a site touted as a "resource for historic arms and armour collectors."

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

I'm encouraging people to make certain they judge things in the proper context and couch discussions within that context. In other words, it might be a stimulating conversation to discuss the effectiveness of Conan's Atlantean sword in medieval combat, but having such a conversation without any mention of that sword not being like anything history has seen is not really going to lead to any knowledge. Failure to mention the context of such things would result in the Conan sword being summarily dismissed by anybody with any knowledge of historical arms and armour; however, discussing such context could allow all to benefit from such a talk.

Look at how Patrick Kelly address the Conan sword in our hands-on review to see how he discussed the sword and addressed these issues. It well illustrates the point, which is why there is a Conan sword reviewed on a site touted as a "resource for historic arms and armour collectors."

Ah, your point is well seen. Thank you for that clarification.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dismountable hilts on Western swords
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: