Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Price Increase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Albion Price Increase         Reply with quote

We didn't want to do it, and we fought hard against it, but we must raise our prices effective August 1, 2008.

With the sharp increases in all of our costs over the last 6 months, we must implement an 11% price increase across the board. However, to try to mitigate this increase, we are not raising prices until August 1st - anything placed on order before that date will be honored at the 2007 price.

To make it easier to reserve a sword at the 2007 price, Mike can work with you on payment plans, deposits, etc and schedule the final delivery of the sword to suit your finances.

Sorry,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Albion Price Increase         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
We didn't want to do it, and we fought hard against it, but we must
raise our prices effective August 1, 2008.

This is just something of a generic observation, Mr. W ... Its kinda aimed at the the mess
our wonnerful country's economy faces these days, so please don't take it as more than
my own reflection ... Its also something that's been on my mind, something that appears
obvious to me, but I'm not sure it get reviewed or mentioned much ... I've been known to
connect " the dots " in odd, maybe even absurd ways, but that's just me ... B-)

The advent of price increases on just about everything, like the advent of technologies that
leap ahead faster than one can download the next version to the last version of whatever,
has recently made me wonder : Who does this leave behind?

My meaning being ? There has to be a vast resource of consumers who, just because cost
is passed onto the consumer instead of perhaps absorbed by corporations ( maybe not
totally, but in some way ), will always be on the edge of being able to spend a little extra money
on a hobby, a vacation, what have you. One seemingly meager increase ? and badoobadooba,
that person has to look at his or her major priorities before all others.

I guess what I'm thinking is, corporations end up moving themselves into a bracket of consumers
who can afford them. And I wonder if that bracket of consumer isn't smaller than the bracket of
consumers before them ( note I don't say BELOW, though that might be apropos ). So, again as
I twist and turn my thoughts, now only a smaller number of people can afford this or that product;
and with the next increase, that number of people shrinks again, and so on and so on ...

I'm not sure how you defeat what appears to be inevitable. Of course, not being an economist or
business wizard, I could be full of jello. I sure as heck like to think there's a solution. Albion, to
its great credit, has always appeared to have certain models in a more affordable range than some
others ...
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to note that Albion has had a program where they give a 10% discount to those who have served in the military. I find this to be very generous on their part so I'm not going to cry about a price increase now. In fact I'm going to place another order prior to August.

Yes, this is a wonderful country.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Albion Price Increase         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

With the sharp increases in all of our costs over the last 6 months, we must implement an 11% price increase across the board. However, to try to mitigate this increase, we are not raising prices until August 1st - anything placed on order before that date will be honored at the 2007 price.

I am for whatever keeps one of the best sword makers in the world viable and am grateful I was able to get three at 2007 prices. Prior to Albion freezing prices I was sitting on the fence as far as whether or not this would become a serious hobby. I decided to make the leap because they did freeze prices and now I am hooked for good and there's no going back (barring any unforseen interference from the wife).
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's too bad, but higher prices is still better then no Albion. Besides, I can't readily afford an Albion anyway so I guess it makes no actual differerance to me.

On the other hand, with the dollar dropping I get more for my krona, so who knows...

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard: I'm sure that you are doing this reluctantly and if you could keep the price down by changing your manufacturing process and material costs if you could, but basically you can't do very much to make your methods of production more effective and less costly for you.

In other words there are few corners you can cut without it meaning also cutting the quality of the swords.

So to maintain a viable profit margin you can only increase the price as you can't cut your production costs and many of these are rising in ways you can't control.

As Matthew said in another way there does come a point of diminishing returns where an increase in price is negatively affected by a loss of volume of sales and this is a delicate balance: Even if an increase has potential risks you may be in a position where it is the only viable option at the moment.

Obviously we all want your business to continue longterm.

Every few years the financial Market seems to go " Insane " when what seemed like good ideas or sloppy management creates " Bubbles " and they burst ! I don't think these thing can be prevented as greed and fear alternate dominating the Markets. Well, was is worrying is that the scale of these corrections can be mild or severe, of short duration or can drag over decades ....... Eek! Well, it always gets better but the question is " when " and surviving the bad periods. Worried

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Stephanie Maks

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would the current pricing still be in effect for swords that aren't even in production yet? I've been eyeing one that's 'available for advance reservation', but would usually wait till it's actually in process before ordering... However, if it would save me 11% it might be worthwhile to put in a reservation/deposit before the increase...

Cheers!

-Stephanie
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about getting on the reservation list for swords that aren't out yet... do we get to lock in the 2007 price if we place the down-payment on it before August? Happy

EDIT: Dang, beaten to the punch with my question Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
R D Moore

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Howie!

I'm sorry you have to do this, but I completely understand. I also want to thank you for holding it off for as long as you have. Do whatever you have to do to keep going because I'd rather give up more Starbucks than not have you all around. I'll even give up my Microbrews (some of them, anyway) to meet the new prices. For those who think I'm being flipant, I appologize. But in the words of my financial advisor- in answer to my comment to stop loosing money: "You know, we're all gonna get through this." He's sooo right.

Just a thought, maybe we vets could forgo our 10% discount to help out a little.

Thanks again, Howie. Let's do what we have to to survive.
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You wouldn't do it unless you need to, or wanted to, or could, so it all sounds good to me!!!! Any of those reasons are fine! On the other hand, don't mind if I become a little more vocal about what I'd like to purchase Wink

I'm ready to buy another round of 7 swords but I'm waiting for a few things: to see the final version of the Chevalier, future announcements of swords, more museum level swords, more swords like the Valkyrje, and finally I'm dying to get the XVIIIc and the tall wide XXII as drawn in your 2007 catalog where Peter J. illustrated those swords. For me, I'm totally fine putting a deposit down and waiting a few years, at least my anxiety is decreased by knowing that I don't have to look around for a particular sword and that eventually, some day in the future it will come. Damn I love that XVIIIc and that tall wide XXII !!!

Please keep new releases coming... !!! We'll all just have to buy more swords!!
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:
What about getting on the reservation list for swords that aren't out yet... do we get to lock in the 2007 price if we place the down-payment on it before August? Happy

EDIT: Dang, beaten to the punch with my question Happy

Yes, indeed!

And for those already waiting for these unreleased swords - we are on a big push to finish announced models this year. I can't make any guarantees, unfortunately, but Peter, Steve and the rest of us are working very hard to get these models done as soon as possible. As always, we are more concerned with getting them right than rushing to completion.

We have a long list of future projects, but we have put those on hold until we can meet our commitment to the folks who have ordered announced (and reserved) but as of yet unreleased models.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to chime in to add support for your venture... not that I am happy to see any prices on anything go up, but if everything is going up - like a rising tide - if you guys don't keep pace, you'll get swamped, and then your wonderful swords and craftsmanship would be gone, and that would truly be a great loss.
My own collection plans are on hold as I am currently unemployed, but I expect to get back on track again, and have several of your wares in mind.
So you guys keep up the great grinding, hammering and casting, okay!?!

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I only had one more sword on my must have list for a while now. Being a student, funds are hard to stash for big purchases. I think the price has gone up $500 since I decided to get it for sure. (IIRC) Either way, I had planned on getting it for my graduation next June, but I guess I'll have to lock it in now with whatever I can. I just wish jobs could match the increases that businesses present. With things becoming more expensive jobs don't seem to keep up with the reality of inflation. Sad
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Due to a series of small technical difficulties, we won't be updating the prices on our webpage until Tuesday, August 5th.

As a result, you have a few more days to reserve swords at the old price.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Alexius Långström

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
You wouldn't do it unless you need to, or wanted to, or could, so it all sounds good to me!!!! Any of those reasons are fine! On the other hand, don't mind if I become a little more vocal about what I'd like to purchase Wink

done being a suckup?

when I got the info about the price increase it was a heartbreaker</3 but still, if that's what it takes for albion to produce their swords, I guess it's worth it. not a big fan of it though. am I supposed to think differently?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexius Långström wrote:
done being a suckup?

I can assure you, you're done with such comments on this site. This attitude is not out of line on many Internet sites that allow people to talk trash and insult others, but it's out of bounds here.

This was your first post so I'm going to assume you haven't taken time to read the expectations of all members here or get accustomed to the culture of this site. I strongly suggest you remedy that oversight on the next site you may wish to visit.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everything is becoming more expensive, from eggs to gasoline to swords. Didn't stop me from ordering a Dane though. If you want to do something about the economy, the guys at Albion aren't the ones you should be petitioning.
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Due to a series of small technical difficulties, we won't be updating the prices on our webpage until Tuesday, August 5th.

As a result, you have a few more days to reserve swords at the old price.

Best,

Howy

Thanks for the heads-up Howy. I hope you get the difficulties sorted out. On the other hand (don't take this the wrong way), it appears these "small technical difficulties" have bought us buyers a few extra days before the price increase!

"As King, you must see the good in any situation" - King Edward the First in Braveheart Razz

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Robert Tienken

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although price increases are never fun, if that is what is required to keep Albion from going the way of Wilkinson Sword, please raise your prices! Wilkinson was a terrible loss, and I would hate to see such a wonderful company as Albion join them on the proverbial scrapheap.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Price increase is in place now!

Boy am I glad I got my order in!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Price Increase
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: