Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Mercenary's Tailor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Lee , James 's shields are paintable . I'm glad you like them . James has really done a fantastic job on them .
He's got plans for a full line up of shields . James , stop posting and get to work ! Opps I guess that would aply to me to .
lol.
James J.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Allan said I just use a light stain, not a coating or penetrating varnish. I mostly just apply it to protect the wood and bring out the woods beauty, but I know that once everyone gets their shield they will want to paint it with their own design. Although historically they were also covered with cloth or leather and that was painted, so on the off chance it did see more than one battle the old material could be removed and a new cloth covering could be applied and painted. I try to finish them as much as I can, but still leave them as unfinished as possible, so once you get your shield you can make it "your shield." Hopefully that made sense. Oh and Allan it is 110 degrees out there, you go work in it!!
The only thing required for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The straps and guige look great on the shields.

The stuff I got to see at bladeshow was very nice too.

Any chance of you guys doing historically accurate-ish riveted mail?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Any chance of you guys doing historically accurate-ish riveted mail?

Hi Joe,

Not anytime in the near future, I'm afraid. Riveted mailled takes an enormous amount of time compared to butted maille. Right now we have all we can do to and keep production up with that.

Still, I would love to be able to do some work in riveted maille, perhaps starting with our aventails.

Harlan
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: 15th Century legs         Reply with quote

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Harlan and the boys. Just got in the 15th century legs, and I must say I am pretty impressed! The finish is pretty good and the quality of construction excellent for a "munitions" grade piece. For those on a budget, looking for a good piece of armor for recreation, WMA use or even collecting, I cannot recommend Mercenaries Tailor enough. I had previously seen a couple other pieces of their work, so I can say in all 5 pieces that I have run across, the quality has been very consistent. Good job guys!

JB

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heads up guys....

Prices on products from The Mercenary's Tailor will increase 20% on August 1st!!
Place your order before August 1st and still get the lower prices!

Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jul, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Price Increase Deadline         Reply with quote

Michael Sigman wrote:
Heads up guys....

Prices on products from The Mercenary's Tailor will increase 20% on August 1st!!

Question It seems the deadline has been moved up. I was going to place an order for the Anglo-Saxon helm, and no more orders are being accepted at this time. Mad
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jul, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Price Increase Deadline         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Michael Sigman wrote:
Heads up guys....

Question It seems the deadline has been moved up. I was going to place an order for the Anglo-Saxon helm, and no more orders are being accepted at this time. Mad

Check out their web at albion http://www.albionarmorers.com/armor/mercenary/tailor.htm. Looks like that fair is going to be something!

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jul, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve We weren't consulted about this so as far as i'm concerned your Anglo-Saxon helm is still in stock at the original price through tommorow . We built 'em we know whats around . Feel free to contact us about any other items your interested in .
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Steve We weren't consulted about this so as far as i'm concerned your Anglo-Saxon helm is still in stock at the original price through tommorow . We built 'em we know whats around . Feel free to contact us about any other items your interested in .

Allan - Thanks for the quick response. Big Grin I have always liked that piece, and have a special fondness for it, since my daughter lives in York, where the original was found. My daughter's husband, in fact, is an archeologist there. I presume I still place the order through Albion, so I will contact them this morning.

Steve Grisetti
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Mercenary's Tailor Anglo-Saxon Helm         Reply with quote

I received my Anglo-Saxon Helm today. A beautiful piece, exactly as specified - that is, munitions grade, not something that one would expect a king to wear on his throne. But a work of art in meeting its purpose. Even my wife, who rolls her eyes at the pointy things that I am starting to accumulate, commented on that the helm is beautifully done.

This is also a substantial, functional helm, and would clearly withstand a lot of abuse, such as pitched battle. I can't imagine why the box was marked "fragile". I guess that marking must have been for the box, itself.

Well done, Allan.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Mercenary's Tailor
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: