Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Angus Trim Swords vs. Albion Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Toney Lauffer

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James H. wrote:

I like your hilt job too Toney. Looks really good. I'd be scarred taking apart my sword grip myself for customizations. I need to practice on some dummy swords first if I ever did.

Don't be scurred Big Grin Seriously though, I HAD to do something with this one since I had punched the pommel through a desk and it tore the origional leather a bit and put the pommel at a VERY noticable skew to the line of the sword. But, in the end I chose to dive in on this one since it is not one of my Albions, and if I decided I wanted to do it again, or really get into it more, I will regrip this one (I don't really like the color but it was the only leather I had layin around)and or I will get a couple cheaper swords from another maker like Windlass. Actually that might not be a bad idea to get a couple of those since they all seem to be under 300.00 for the most part.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually gen 2 might be a good choice for re-grip customization since the handle is the major issue of what makes them look so bad. Well there are other details as well...but that is the major one. And the stock leather is so cheap and slick...and everything else is pretty good. So it's a sword that just begs a re-grip for under 300 dollars. And makes for something fun to play around and make it something new people can handle and cut with. Windlass is a good option as well as it is a cheap sword to practice sharpening as well hehe.

Anyways that is a pict of a redone handle on the gen 2 black prince by Brian K. below the shinai sword (which are a hoot btw Happy ).
James H.

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of the Albion Next Gen. Squire in hand (holding it) there is a picture of some holding the knight in hand on the reviews but I'd like a picture of some one holding the Squire so that I could compare the sizes better then just drawing it out with ruler on paper. The wheel pommel of the squire looks smaller (decently thinner) and I know the cross guard is longer compared to the knight as well as a ever so slightly smaller grip section. Just need a visual of how much so.
Thanks
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well considering that people have different hand sizes, I don't think that's gonna help unless somebody has both and can post pictures of both of them in the sam hands Happy . In anycase a pictorial mock up will give you better idea of how they will look in your hands anyways...which is the REALLY important part hehe.
James H.

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure what a pictorial mock up is really, (pictures of actual size?)
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basically yes...although if your art skill isn't great and your imagination is, just the basic lines and circle can work. I did that with the crecy and agincourt hehe Happy . Just stick your hand on the hilt parts and you can get a good sense of how it would look in your hands.

Another good one is to use wooden dowels. With washers you can even fiddle with PoB and wieght so you can kinda get a better idea of how it feels too.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favourite way to do a basic mock up is to print an approporiate image and enlarge it on a photcopier using available statistics as a reference e.g. if you know the guard width expand the image you have until it is the actual size. This works really well. I would imagine the same thing could be done with photoshop.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
My favourite way to do a basic mock up is to print an approporiate image and enlarge it on a photcopier using available statistics as a reference e.g. if you know the guard width expand the image you have until it is the actual size. This works really well. I would imagine the same thing could be done with photoshop.

This assumes that the photograph has no distortion, which is almost always untrue. Most photographs have extreme amounts of distortion. Taking, for example, a full-length photo of a sword with the camera even 1' closer to the hilt than to the absolute center of the blade will give the hilt a much larger proportion to blade ratio than reality. Further, this does not consider lens distortion, which goes a long way to changing the proportions of the items. Anyway, the reason I mention this is that I've tried to extrapolate the dimensions of swords many dozens of times using what I call "sword math" (haha), and at best will only end up with an approximation. Doing such things on a hilt-only photo is much easier than on a full sword: much less distortion and an easier photograph for the photographer to actually take.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have clarified the photos I used were large hilt only photos. I have never followed this procedure with a full length photo of a sword. They came out true engough for the purpose of getting a feel for the size of the hilt. The photo I used of a Machiavelli from Albions site prior to ordering one is quite close to the size of my Machiavelli.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Raza Fahim

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,
I am new to this forum and to the hobby of sword collecting. I recently posted a question about Albion vs. Angus Trim, however the mods decided it should be moved to here, and so I have respectfully complied. I just wanted to ask all you experienced folks if the Steward by Albion is is as durable and has as great an edge retention as the Angus Trim 1433 Warsword. I want to use the sword to cut through soft to relatively hard material such as plywood and leather. This will by the way, be my first actual sword, aside from a blunder I made in purchasing a sword from Ritter Steel. Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated.(Assume that anything costing up to 950$ is acceptable)
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't say anything about Angus Trim swords since I've never handles one. I would recomend the Albion Crecy as a good all around sword. The Steward has the same blade as my Ritter if I recall. Comparing those two blades I like the Crecy better. The hilt components are pretty much the same. In the end it comes down to personal preference.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Raza Fahim

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. I actually did take a look at the Crecy, but it seems more dedicated to the thrust, and it is also a rather slender blade compared to the Baron or Steward; I guess I should have stated that I am looking for a sword that focuses more on the cut, but has decent thrust abilities, emphasis on cut. Come to think of it, I really like the Baron. A lot. Although it is a little above my range.
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Baron as well. It's a good choice too. Personally I like the Crecy better because I feel that it's a bit quicker and maneuverable. I suppose the Steward would be a good choice for you then if you wanted something mid size.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raza,

I have a Baron, a Crecy, and a Count (more flashy version with the same blade as the Steward). I also have a few ATrim swords of similar size and balance as the 1433, though I don't have an actual 1433. In comparing them, I would say this:

Baron - heavy cutter and has the most "authority of handling." It's too heavy and long for me, but still a well balanced sword that handles well with both hands. The tip isn't well suited for thrusting as it is very broad. The design is all "powerful cuts."

1433 and other ATrim swords of similar size/weight/configuration - also a pretty heavy cutter. I'm guessing the handling and performance would be similar to the Baron, though a little quicker. But it is a Type XVIa with a more slender tip that thrusts decently.

Crecy - a meduim-weight cut&thrust longsword. It's faster than the big cutters above and can thrust very well. But it also cuts very well. The balance is as close to perfect as I can imagine for a hand-&-a-half Type XVIa.

Steward/Count - light, fast-handling cutting sword. It really seems to me like a long, light single-hand sword with an extra half hand worth of grip. The tip is almost spatulate and thus not a good thruster at all.

Hope this helps. Happy
Raza Fahim

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Mike. It seems most of the people on here are favoring the Crecy. As you are all more experienced than I am, and I just got to take a look at the Crecy on KOA(They have better pics than Albion), it does look like the Crecy is more balanced for the cut than the thrust, however, the thrust capability is still there. Although, I am curious as to why it is almost $100.00 cheaper than the Baron or Steward. I hope this does not come at the cost of durability.
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would guess that the price difference between the Crecy and Steward is mostly in the complexity of the pommel. The Crecy doesn't have a peen block, but that's about the only thing I can see with regard to price-influencing features. I don't think you will see any differences in the durability of construction in any of the Next Generation swords. If I HAD to rate them, I would rate the Crecy as somewhat more durable than the Steward as it has a more robust blade. But I doubt there is any noticeable difference.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raza Fahim wrote:
Thanks for the advice Mike. It seems most of the people on here are favoring the Crecy. As you are all more experienced than I am, and I just got to take a look at the Crecy on KOA(They have better pics than Albion), it does look like the Crecy is more balanced for the cut than the thrust, however, the thrust capability is still there. Although, I am curious as to why it is almost $100.00 cheaper than the Baron or Steward. I hope this does not come at the cost of durability.

The fittings on the Crecy are simpler to cast and finish than for the Baron. The blade on the Steward may be harder to finish than the Crecy's, though the hilt components are the same.

The difference is not in durability. Albion's blades are all designed to perform as well as period originals. The heat treat routine is just as careful and the steel the same.

For good pics of all the swords you're asking about, please check out our Hands-On Reviews, accessible via the reviews link on any page.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

how are the fittings done on the Albion gladii seeing as how the pommels are wood?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Angus Trim Swords vs. Albion Swords
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: