Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Angus Trim Swords vs. Albion Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldn't say inadequate...but I wouldn't say good either Happy . You can stab...but it is generally much better to cut.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Without wanting to step on any toes the only valid testing of a sword is against the armour it was expected to face. I have made comments about what I have cut with my Knight but they were given in the context of backyard cutting only.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
James H.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll just sheath my blade in the joints, just to be on the safe side. Big Grin
James H.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: kult of athena         Reply with quote

Hey, I am not sure I can use this thread for this question or if it would be better to start a new thread. Basically the web sit Kult of Athena has the Albion Next Gen Knight for price listed as $774.00 and was wondering if this is a good dealer. What brings this question up is on the stock photo the blade does not have the Albion mark stamped on the blade. Maybe it is an old stock photo from before Albino started stamping the mark on their blades, if there was a time before? The picture is of the side where they usually mark their blades judging from their site and this site pictures. (I think I would still get it cheaper from the Albion site with their 10% discount for military but like to keep my options open.) Thanks.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: kult of athena         Reply with quote

James H. wrote:
Hey, I am not sure I can use this thread for this question or if it would be better to start a new thread. Basically the web sit Kult of Athena has the Albion Next Gen Knight for price listed as $774.00 and was wondering if this is a good dealer. What brings this question up is on the stock photo the blade does not have the Albion mark stamped on the blade. Maybe it is an old stock photo from before Albino started stamping the mark on their blades, if there was a time before? The picture is of the side where they usually mark their blades judging from their site and this site pictures. (I think I would still get it cheaper from the Albion site with their 10% discount for military but like to keep my options open.) Thanks.

James,
You can do a search for Kult of Athena on our forums. They've been discussed many times and are known as a reputable dealer.

Albion marks their blades, but only on one face. It's possible KoA just photographed the "other" side. Albion has always marked their blades.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Toney Lauffer

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read through quite a few of the posts here and though it has been said before, in so many words, I cannot resist throwing in my two cents.
Ever since I learned of Albion, and read about how they finish their swords and hilt furniture, I've been sold on them ever since. That is, that the Tangs are full length and full width. The guards are wedged into position, the pommel set and then HOT peened in place. Then the handle wood and leather is applied, just as the origionals were made. Though these details will never be seen they are, to me, indespensable as the omission of even that slight bit of extra steel in the handle (Tang) will affect the handling characteristics of the blade. All other makers I've run across, except of course the custom makers, use rebated tangs and weld threaded round stock to them. I actually bent the round stock of my Del Tin Sempach while "playing' with it when I smashed the pommel through a particle board desk Big Grin This cracked the handle wood. I was able to rehandle and cover it and restraighten the tang. I think it would be nearly impossible to bend a true full tang.

I've heard it said that modern swords, like the Atrims are designed the way they are, with the threaded tangs, for ease of maintenance, that is, you can take them apart to care for the steel in the tang. I don't know why this should be an issue as the period pieces seemed to last forever with proper care, despite heavy usage. I may be overlooking a historical fact which would be unknown to me, which would be that it's possible that back in the day a warrior may have taken his sword to a cutler to have his weapon thoroughly cleaned and rehandled. I don't know for sure if that is true or not.

On the Albion Mark. As Chad Arnow pointed out ,and as far as I know, Albion has always marked their blades.

Oh, I'm new here by the way. Been thinkin about joining for a while now, finally did it. I'm registered at a number of other forums as well; Blade Forums, Armour Archive, Sword Forum, and now this one. Looks great so far Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toney Lauffer wrote:

Ever since I learned of Albion, and read about how they finish their swords and hilt furniture, I've been sold on them ever since. That is, that the Tangs are full length and full width. The guards are wedged into position, the pommel set and then HOT peened in place. Then the handle wood and leather is applied, just as the origionals were made.

Toney,
Albion's method is how some medieval swords were made, not all. Some swords were put together that way, which is very secure. Some were made like A&A's (and to a degree Del Tin), where all the hilt components slip over the tang and are held in place solely by compression from peening. Del Tin does weld some tangs on, but there are historical swords where the tangs are forge-welded at around the blade-guard-grip junction; the section welded on was a softer iron in some cases. A good weld should be strong enough.

And some historical tangs were thin in one or more planes. Or narrow and thick. Etc. Happy

Albion's method is great, but is not the only one our ancestors relied on. See here for more info: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4901

If anything you could make a point that only using one method is historically inaccurate, as Oakeshott noted some sword/grip types/shapes tended toward one method over another. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is absolutely no need to regularly dismount a western sword for cleaning, maintenance or storage.

None whatsoever.

When the leather on the grip goes send it to a cutler or replace it yourself. Even then, there should be no need to dismount the sword.

If for some reason the wood in the grip is damaged, you still don't need to dismount it if you have to replace the grip.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to spin their un-historical manufacturing methods.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
There is absolutely no need to regularly dismount a western sword for cleaning, maintenance or storage.

None whatsoever.

When the leather on the grip goes send it to a cutler or replace it yourself. Even then, there should be no need to dismount the sword.

If for some reason the wood in the grip is damaged, you still don't need to dismount it if you have to replace the grip.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to spin their un-historical manufacturing methods.

See Chad's post above-some historical medieval swords would, in fact, require dismounting at least the pommel in order to replace the grip core. Not all cores were put on in two halves. Personally I agree that Albion uses the superior assembly method but not the only correct one, according to our best -respected sources.
I suspect Gus's reference to ease of maintenance is according to modern ideas of "maintenence", which may include inspecting the tang on swords that are used for heavy cutting excersizes, as well as cleaning pumpkin and watermelon spooge from the guard slot Eek!
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin King wrote:
Thomas Jason wrote:

None whatsoever.

See Chad's post above-some historical medieval swords would, in fact, require dismounting at least the pommel in order to replace the grip core. Not all cores were put on in two halves. Personally I agree that Albion uses the superior assembly method but not the only correct one, according to our best -respected sources.
I suspect Gus's reference to ease of maintenance is according to modern ideas of "maintenence", which may include inspecting the tang on swords that are used for heavy cutting excersizes, as well as cleaning pumpkin and watermelon spooge from the guard slot Eek!

Some grips were made using the boring method, but that doesn't have to be done the same way for a new grip.

If the tang is made properly there is no need to "inspect it" after cutting with it. It's a sword, it's job is to cut. If the tang is ever put "at risk" from cutting then you are likely better off going with another maker as their swords are substandard.

As to the maintenance remark, I could go further, but doing so would move this thread out of the realm of friendly discussion.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to say that you are wrong per se, just that there is usually more than one way to see these things. You are right that the grip could be replaced in two halves without removing the pommel but it if this were the only "right" way to do it I would expect to see most if not all original swords built this way in the first place, which they are not.
You also have a point that the tang need not be inspected as you can just throw the sword away and get a new one if there is any reason to question the tang's integrity, but many modern users will want the option of dismounting it to inspect it before putting money down for a new one. I would.
Rod S.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James asked about the relative ease of sharpening different brands of swords. Albion's pieces, and I expect Gus's as well, have the historic appleseed edge geometry, which requires more work than the modern flat bevel edge found on knives. An excellent reference on sharpening such blades can be found in the chapter "How to Sharpen a Sword," writen by Peter Johnsson and David Lindholm, in the Lindholm and Svard book "Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Longsword" (ISBN 10: 1-58160-410-6; ISBN 13: 978-1-58160-410-8). I highly recommend that book for martial studies, BTW.

Rod

Last edited by Rod S. on Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
James H.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Rod, amidst all the discussion I almost forgot one of the most important part (at lest to me) how to keep the edge. I'll check out the book. Sounds like some interesting reading there. About the pommel. I really did not even think they had nuts and bolts in the13th century. But (I am not sure if Angus Trim is started his business making eastern swords or western) but he may have made the pommel and hilt fittings removable for long term storage of the blade as well as tang inspection which seems reasonable. I know when it comes to Japanese swords (the Katana especially) it is stressed to remove the blade from it's fittings for proper storage. I am not sure why, It is also stress to NEVER cleaned the tang of this blades, I Imagen that it might weaken the tang? But I do know it is the dark aging on the tang of these swords that helps to determine the actual age of it. (but that is more of a concern developed by modern collectors I believe.)
Toney Lauffer

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow'
Thanks for the link to that other discussion. It was REEEEALLY interesting reading the posts by Angus Trim and Peter Johnson. I used the sandwich method when I rehandled my Del Tin Sempach with a waisted grip. Hopefully I can find a couple pictures of my first ever attempt at such a thing. The origional was definatly cored and since I didn't feel like messing with attempting to remove the pommel I just split a hammer handle in half and routed out the middle to fit the tang. As you might note, it's not exactly the best in the world. I didn't do a great job of sanding the wood perfectly smooth and so you can see some imperfections through the leather. And, somehow, the cordage I used underneath got a little thinner in one part of the fat part making up the waist so it's a wee bit asymmetrical. Oh well, lessons learned, this is my beater anyway. One day I'll rehandle it again Happy
But, one thing really puzzles me. WHY would anyone, past or present weld a tang to a blade at the blade/guard junction after the forging of the blade? This seems to me an extra and very unnecessary step. Can you share a bit more about that with me, or gimme another link?

Attachment: 137.79 KB
del_tin_handle_055.jpg

Attachment: 141.58 KB
del_tin_handle_056.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toney,
Why weld it on? To preserve good steel for the blades, maybe. Or to have a softer tang for shock absorption or to reduce breakage by using a softer material. Or some combination. Here's one thread about: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=10061 . The search function will probably find more.

On a side note, why do you refer to that Del Tin as a Sempach? It's really nothing like the Sempach family of swords (see Albion's Sempach for an example). Is yours a discontinued model? Looks neat. Happy

Happy

ChadA

James H.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Actually the Knight is something of a hybrid with a sort of subtle compromise in typology/ geometry which has unexpected stiffness and tip strength in the thrust. I always make a point of trying some thrusts when test cutting with any of my swords, and have had some of my most surprising accidents/target prop fatalities (thrusting clear through garbage cans with debris in them and such) with the Knight. I would not discount it as "inadequate" for thrusting tactics.

Thanks, this kind of first hand is really what I was looking for, The reviews through out this site mostly centered around cutting so this helps a lot. Read about the evaluation of the blade type suggest it was an advancement to help counter the evolving armor of the era. While I realize it is not as strong of as thruster as a type XVI it should do a fairly good job considering I will never be using it any type of combat with heavily armored opponents. Though the Squire XVI is beginning to look tempting.
I like your hilt job too Toney. Looks really good. I'd be scarred taking apart my sword grip myself for customizations. I need to practice on some dummy swords first if I ever did.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This has turned out to be a pretty informative thread that has wandered off-topic a bit in all the best ways. Nice job, everyone.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Toney Lauffer

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Toney,

On a side note, why do you refer to that Del Tin as a Sempach? It's really nothing like the Sempach family of swords (see Albion's Sempach for an example). Is yours a discontinued model? Looks neat. Happy

Cause Sempach is the name used by the Museum Replicas Catalog when I bought it 15 or 20 years ago. Ya, it is a discontinued model. So too aparantly is the "Irish sword" I got round the same time. Keep in mind though that the handle is my idea, it origionally had one like the Albion, smooth with no waist. Anyway, I blame Del Tin for any confusion of sword styles, I just call it what it was called then. I'm certainly no expert on blade styles, or history, but I do have opinions based on my current level of knowlege and experience with what I have.

So, that little bit of "steel" for the tang would have been saved because it was so valuable? It's hard for me to imagine in this day and age that something so small would have been so valuable. But in beginning my sewing of a recreation of a Charles de Blois style pourpoint it was mentioned that the "complex" pattern of pieces may have been the effort to minimize waste. Since it was brought to my attention that steel in armour was actually very rare, I'm wondering just how common it was in weapons. I'll do a search to see if I can find anything on that.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James H. wrote:
Jared Smith wrote:
Actually the Knight is something of a hybrid with a sort of subtle compromise in typology/ geometry which has unexpected stiffness and tip strength in the thrust. I always make a point of trying some thrusts when test cutting with any of my swords, and have had some of my most surprising accidents/target prop fatalities (thrusting clear through garbage cans with debris in them and such) with the Knight. I would not discount it as "inadequate" for thrusting tactics.

Thanks, this kind of first hand is really what I was looking for, The reviews through out this site mostly centered around cutting so this helps a lot. Read about the evaluation of the blade type suggest it was an advancement to help counter the evolving armor of the era. While I realize it is not as strong of as thruster as a type XVI it should do a fairly good job considering I will never be using it any type of combat with heavily armored opponents. Though the Squire XVI is beginning to look tempting.
I like your hilt job too Toney. Looks really good. I'd be scarred taking apart my sword grip myself for customizations. I need to practice on some dummy swords first if I ever did.

Hehe, and this is how it starts Happy . See now you'll just have to get a knight AND a squire hehe.

As for regrips...it's not that bad for the most part...and a cinch on atrim swords Happy . That is one of the good things about a system like that. But unless you have to replace the wood because it's cracked, it's something pretty easy to play around with (and something pretty hard to mess up beyond all recovery by somebody else). In fact, that is usually the first thing people learn to customize on their swords on the road to swordsmithing hehe.

Oh yeah toney, very nice job on the handle Happy .
Toney Lauffer

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:

Hehe, and this is how it starts Happy . See now you'll just have to get a knight AND a squire hehe.

NO KIDDING! Good thing for me I'm too poor to REEEAALLY indulge this hobby or I'd have 10,000 swords or more! AAAND Pole arms and harnesses, daggers,knives, sticks and stones Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
Oh yeah toney, very nice job on the handle Happy .
Thanks. I'm sure I'll get another opportunity to redo this one since I "play" with this one with my younger brother and friends, so I'm sure the guard will start to rattle again. For right now the fit is tight and my lil wedges seem to work fine.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Angus Trim Swords vs. Albion Swords
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: