Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My landsknecht sword from E.B. Erickson, 2008Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Attached are some photos of the sword in hand. It's not easy to take photos like this by myself comfortably in a natural way so the hand and arm positions will portray as strained. They show proportions and geometry of the hilt, giving a good idea of the protection it affords.

Note that the last photos show the finger strained uncomfortably through the small outer side ring and into the finger ring as well as a thumb position perhaps approaching what ElJay discussed above.

Attachment: 29.06 KB
EBE_landsknecht011.jpg
Sword in hand

Attachment: 24.6 KB
EBE_landsknecht012.jpg
Sword in hand

Attachment: 23 KB
EBE_landsknecht013.jpg
Sword in hand

Attachment: 20.22 KB
EBE_landsknecht014.jpg
Sword in hand

Attachment: 23.59 KB
EBE_landsknecht015.jpg
Sword in hand

Attachment: 25.88 KB
EBE_landsknecht016.jpg
Sword in hand
Finger passed uncomfortably through side ring and into the finger ring

Attachment: 23.63 KB
EBE_landsknecht017.jpg
Sword in hand
Finger passed uncomfortably through side ring and into the finger ring

Attachment: 24.15 KB
EBE_landsknecht018.jpg
Sword in hand
Thumb position adjusted to rest on the quillion block/ blade transition

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a really interesting grip. Is it multiple wire wrapped cords twisted together? It is difficult to imagine just exactly how it was done. I don't recall seeing one like that before.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
That is a really interesting grip. Is it multiple wire wrapped cords twisted together? It is difficult to imagine just exactly how it was done. I don't recall seeing one like that before.

It looks to be three strands:

one twisted strand, clockwise > one twisted strand, counter-clockwise > one straight strand

It's pretty typical of wire-wraps, but is very well done in this case.

Attachment: 35.4 KB
wirewrap.jpg

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all

On the finger ring issue : this is something that came to my mind at a private handling session at the Wallace about 4 years ago, playing with a very nice thing labelled as a 'hunting saber'.
It was obvious the index finger couldn't go through due to the very dimensions and position of the side ring. But what was also obvious, was that this curved bar on the side was made to protect a thumb that would be placed almost on the flat of the blade, or at least definitely on the cross - as you would do with a Langes Messer (which in fact I beleive it is).

Since then I had the chance to see and handle several other weapons with similar features.

'Thumbing the flat' is also seen in Liechtenauerian-related illustrations.

So, IMHO a final answer to this wuestion would be what you just did in your last 'sword in hand' pic, Nathan : finger the guard, not with the index, but with the thumb.

EDIT : needless to say - hence my silence on the subject - it's a fantastic piece.
I'd be interested in knowing a bit more on how he made the pommel.

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.

Last edited by Fabrice Cognot on Thu 31 Jul, 2008 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It doesn't get any better... What an amazing piece...that is as good as it gets...
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fabrice,
The pommel began as an oversize rectangular solid of steel. The basic shape was formed with a 4" grinder; it ended up being sort of a laterally-flattened mushroom. The decorative details were drawn on with a marker, and the 4" grinder was used to rough out the details. After that it was lots of filework. Then a final polish (matte finish as that's what Nathan wanted).

--ElJay
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't had time to put together a real shoot of this sword, but I'm attaching the full-length shot I took on the table when I got it. It gives an idea of how the full sword looks, though there's a bit of distortion here.

Weight: 2.6 pounds
Overall length: 36.625"
Blade length: 31"
Blade width: 1.75" at hilt
CoP: ~21" from the hilt

Attachment: 24.51 KB
EBE_landsknecht_full_s.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had to do a work-related photo shoot today so I snapped a few photos of the full sword.

Not sure why I set the sword upside down but it's a worthy angle, too. Worried

Click photos to see full-sized versions

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And now the blade.... Eek!

Gorgeous weapon!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Nathan,

This is a gorgeous-superb-amazing sword ! You have an absolutely excquisite taste regarding swords with complex hilts. In addition, you are trully an excellent photographer, but we all already knew it.

Cheers,

David
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got some "studio blue" background paper in and had to do some testing. Thank you for indulging me.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Everyone-

This year I had EB Erickson create a scabbard for the landknecht sword he made for me last year.

I asked for something of simple form and crisp lines that represents the Germanic character of such a sword. I didn't want a wooden core, but just a thick leather scabbard with a nice chape. I didn't give any input and just waited to see what would result.

He delivered. The incised lines create the simple form I wanted without competing with the intricate hilt. The roped detail on the chape compliments the S-shaped guard perfectly and the twisted finial mimics details on the the hilt.

I'm very happy with it.

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's perfect, of course. Ho-hum. Laughing Out Loud But don't you want one of those nifty knotted suspensions to complete the kit?
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
It's perfect, of course. Ho-hum. Laughing Out Loud But don't you want one of those nifty knotted suspensions to complete the kit?

Nah. Not me. I'm not into the suspensions because, well, I'll never wear a sword for any purpose. I appreciate them for the "complete kit" appeal, but since I won't wear it and it makes it more difficult to store or display, it's not really a good fit for me.

J. Abernethy

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Im really quite jealous, ive been trying to find a design I like for a Katz myself and think ive been quite outdone by this one. I joined a Landsknecht reenactment group and im looking for a Katzbalger that isnt "off the shelf". I didnt think of doing a late period example, the complex hilt is very attractive.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Abernethy wrote:
Im really quite jealous, ive been trying to find a design I like for a Katz myself and think ive been quite outdone by this one. I joined a Landsknecht reenactment group and im looking for a Katzbalger that isnt "off the shelf". I didnt think of doing a late period example, the complex hilt is very attractive.

E. B. Erickson is the man to see, in my opinion.

-Sean

Hal Siegel
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Abernethy wrote:

This is obviously nowhere even near the ballpark of Mr. Erikson's work (Nathan, fair warning, if we ever meet and you show me that sword, better hand me a bib, too), it is possible to modify off the shelf katzbalgers into more unusual examples.

This is a mid 1980's Windlass piece (yeah, I know, boo hiss) that was crudely modified by a friend into a late style complex hilt katzbalger.

I'm not saying it's well done (although it wasn't badly done for mid 80's garage workshop technology), I'm just saying that it's possible. Yeah, this kat is pretty crude and pretty beat, but it's also been well worn and well loved. Cool

Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/TherionArms
J. Abernethy

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a bit on the "crude" side Hal, but I dont dislike it! There are very creative people out there and this one seems to stand the test of time. I like the grip and Pommel especially. If he ground down the welds and cleaned it up a bit it could really be a stunning piece.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Nathan! That's a fantastic looking sword!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My landsknecht sword from E.B. Erickson, 2008Product Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: