Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking dealers of antiques Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeff Hallen

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. I am new here and just getting a feel for this forum. I collect antique weapons and I am curious if there is a list of good dealers on this forum to buy from? Do people on this forum buy and sell on this forum? Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff Here
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff,
Welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy I split your question off to its own topic.

Our links page has a list of some reputable dealers of antiques. Those should be a good starting point.

People have bought and sold antiques on our Marketplace Forum, though it's not a place for antiques dealers to sell wares, just for individuals to buy and sell from their personal collections.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeff Hallen

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much ChadA I do appreciate that. Looking at the list, I see that Fagan is not there. Is Fagan an unreliable dealer?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Here
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Hallen wrote:
Thank you very much ChadA I do appreciate that. Looking at the list, I see that Fagan is not there. Is Fagan an unreliable dealer?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,
The list is not all-inclusive by any means. Just because someone isn't there doesn't mean they're bad. It just means they're not on the list. Happy

Not being a collector of antiques, I can't say for sure how Fagan is. Others, who are more into antiques, will probably chime in with opinions.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My experience with Fagan has always been positive. Fagan is one of the oldest antique arms businesses in the US and has a reputation to uphold. I would recommend them based on my experience. In my experience they don't seem to check their email, so i would recommend contacting them vis telephone.

Jonathan
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like Fagan too, have bought from him before, have been satisfied, and it is worth it to get on the mailing list. The only thing I would say about Fagan is I have lost out at auction a few times to him only to see the piece get listed at a 70%+ markup from the auction price. but hey everyone deserves to make a living. business is business. but just goes to show that the best place to acquire pieces is still generally at auction or shows. He had a really nice schiavona last year that I wish I could have afforded. tr
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The only thing I would say about Fagan is I have lost out at auction a few times to him only to see the piece get listed at a 70%+ markup from the auction price

Then you have the trend of some auction sellers buying up stock from the dealers and playing to trends on the market. I am very much finding that clean pieces are doing better on auction sites than they were while moldering at the less travelled and decently priced dealer sites. Someone mentioned a couple of swords to me the other day and I speculated back what my estimate was that they might sell for. The prettier of the two has already surpassed the price of a close twin in condition that has been listed for months elsewhere. Sometimes folk seem to like the thrill of auctions and there are certainly some good buys but the buying public is tending to overpay for an awful lot of what is moving at ebay (specifically).

Many dealers are listing summer sales, so now is a good time to be looking. I tend to surf by specifics and have managed a fairly comprehensive links list. most on the boards are generally willing to point the way to another's want but at the same time, it can be sad to just see stuff dissapear and never be seen again.

Fagan was actually on my watch list a couple of months ago. They are/were having a sale as well. Hmmm, I wonder if it is still there. One genre they were listing a lot of were dug Scandanavian type knives at what looked like pretty fair prices. Who knows if they really are though, and if the price is really a decent deal? I know the one item I was watching was at regular street price.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking dealers of antiques
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic