Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Major mental breakdown - Yes, it's sword related. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Max von Schablowsky

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Major mental breakdown - Yes, it's sword related.         Reply with quote

Ok people I have a problem. I've been a sword enthusiast for a very long time and have gotten to know the odd bit or two. Now a friend of mine is slowly getting into it and is now coming to me for assistance. No problem there at all.

Okay, he hates baskethilts and I love Schiavonnas.... minor conflict but nothing major.

Well, yesterday we got onto the topic of swords again and I asked him why he hated baskethilts so much. His answer was that he simply found them ugly as hell. I, being ever the optimist started showing him pictures of several antique baskethilt swords which are absolutley in beautifull condition.

His response? "Well, I guess they're okay. I'd just cut off that fugly basket with a hacksaw and they'd be fine. Might have to stick some of the leftover bits in a grinder though."

I damn near had a HEART ATTACK! (I started hyper ventilating actually.) For the rest of the evening I had the picture of these 400-300 year old sword being stuck into a grinder and being mutilated. This was the point at where I was now rocking back and forth on my ass bones while he continued to talk about blade mutilation.

We're still friends buuuut...... have any of you had a similar problem? And if so how did you convince your dumbass friend not to stick a sword into a grinder? Confused
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

lol Laughing Out Loud
your relationship with your friend sounds exactly like my relationship with my best friend.
Hopefully you don't have to put up with being called "silly Joel" every time you voice such an opinion though.
I suppose you could just smack him upside the head and ask what the hell is the matter with him. That is what i have done on occasion. Laughing Out Loud good luck

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
"'Diable!' he said, after having swallowed the divine preserve. 'I do not know it the result will be as agreeable as you describe, but the thing does not appear to me as palatable as you say.'
--'Because your palates has not yet been attuned to the sublimity of the substances it flavours. Tell me, the first time you tasted oysters, tea, porter, truffels, and sundry other dainties which you now adore, did you like them? Could you comprehend how the Romans stuffed their pheasants with assafœtida, and the Chinese eat swallows' nests? Eh? no! Well, it is the same with hashish; only eat for a week and nothing in the world will seem to you to equal the delicacy of its flavor, which now appears to you flat and distasteful. Let us now go into the adjoining chamber, which is your apartment, and Ali will bring us coffee and pipes.'" (from The Count of Monte Cristo - by Alexandre Dumas)

While I most sincerely disapprove of substance abuse, I still found this literary gem to be quite applicable to the situation. Merely relate the second paragraph to your aesthetically insensitive friend, and continue to show him photos of fine baskethilts. I know that I used to find baskethilts to be my least favorite sword type - now I have a serious liking for schiavone, and I must admit that Mr. Han's "Turcael" by Vince Evans makes my heart skip a beat each time I see a photo of it. Happy

I'm sure the hacksaw and grinder commentary was intended to get your blood boiling. If not, I suggest you find a new friend or educate this one quick. Big GrinWink
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this only illustrates that your pal is to immature to appreciate baskethilts. I'd just ignore the guy and not give him the pleasure of winding me up. Discuss your interests with someone who treats you with more respect.
Allen W

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is your friend's interest aesthetic or functional? Personally, I used to find Scottish basket hilts extremely ugly but having held a few they are now my preferred single hander. If he cares about weapons as weapons and you can get him to the blade show, Vince Evans' table will solve your problems.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you're over reacting.

If he does not like basket hilts, don't try to force them on him.

Maybe you should spend some time trying to find out what HE likes and helping HIM explore HIS preferences instead of merely exploring your preferences with him? Or does he have to like everything you like to be your friend?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good point Joe F.

Learn from one another and grow in your knowledge & friendship.

William
aka Bill
Eric Gerry

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The answer is simple: Get him to take up WMA! Enough raps on the hand will make him see the error of his ways, and make him fly to more perfect weapons! Wink
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*glances at Max, leans close, and makes grinder noises...*

BZZZZZZRRRRRRRROOWRRRR!

hehe...

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Max von Schablowsky

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Maybe you should spend some time trying to find out what HE likes and helping HIM explore HIS preferences instead of merely exploring your preferences with him? Or does he have to like everything you like to be your friend?

I don't have anything against the fact that he doesn't like baskethilts. Hell I could care less if he wouldn't be able to stand my whole family!

It's him seriously talking about taking a hacksaw to "modify" baskethilts thereby making them more pleasing to (his) eye.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps he is having some fun at your expense. If I was in his shoes and noticed you getting as worked up as you describe it would be hard to resist temptation.

Then again if its a reproduction and he buys it who cares?

If its an antique I can see getting upset. But is he really likely to spend a significant amount of money to buy a real baskethilt then destroy it? He could save himself time by burning or eating his money.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max von Schablowsky wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

I don't have anything against the fact that he doesn't like baskethilts. Hell I could care less if he wouldn't be able to stand my whole family!

It's him seriously talking about taking a hacksaw to "modify" baskethilts thereby making them more pleasing to (his) eye.

Really, now, Max. If he wants to ruin a perfectly good sword, let him have at it. Does he really have the means or desire to destroy an antique or even an expensive reproduction?

When I was a child, I recall engaging in attention-seeking behavior. I think we are experiencing something similar here. Wink

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
Max von Schablowsky

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are you calling me an attention whore?

And yes, he DOES have the means. And YES the guy is serious. I've known him for sixteen years now and we've been through thick and thin. I know when he's kidding and when not.

..... I think I'll borrow his dremel for a while, just in case.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Imagine if you brought this guy to Vince Evans table at some knifeshow and he bought a few. Next day he'd invite you over and just to see the look on your face grind them to pieces before your eyes. I think your pal watches too much MTV.

Then you could show him your new torture rack...
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max,
I think he meant your friend, not you.
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And yes, he DOES have the means. And YES the guy is serious. I've known him for sixteen years now and we've been through thick and thin. I know when he's kidding and when not.

..... I think I'll borrow his dremel for a while, just in case.

No, Max. As Bill pointed out, I was referring to your friend.

I do, however, think you are being melodramatic and defensive.

-Richard Milhous Nixon
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Warning.         Reply with quote

People: chill out and talk about something of substance.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mea Culpa, Nathan. Sorry.
-Richard Milhous Nixon

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Major mental breakdown - Yes, it's sword related.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic