Ren Fest custom work.
I've been doing my research for different sword makers that do custom work at the renaissance fair or outside in the real world. I've looked bladeart.com and came across very few sword makers amoung a huge list of knife makers. I've also seen much of Jody Samson's work and Albion Swords, yet don't have that deep of a budget. In addition, I've looked at the forums for info about the line up of arms sellers at the Ren Fest.

Badger Blades and Starfire just don't come close to have what I am looking for yet I don't know anything about Sabersmith Swords and their custom quality.

Christian Fletcher/Angus Trim are by far the best thing I've found for custom orders.

What are your thoughts?
Re: Ren Fest custom work.
Declan Bazzani wrote:
I've been doing my research for different sword makers that do custom work at the renaissance fair or outside in the real world. I've looked bladeart.com and came across very few sword makers amoung a huge list of knife makers. I've also seen much of Jody Samson's work and Albion Swords, yet don't have that deep of a budget. In addition, I've looked at the forums for info about the line up of arms sellers at the Ren Fest.

Badger Blades and Starfire just don't come close to have what I am looking for yet I don't know anything about Sabersmith Swords and their custom quality.

Christian Fletcher/Angus Trim are by far the best thing I've found for custom orders.

What are your thoughts?

How deep is your budget? A custom piece by CF/AT might put you closer to the Albion Sword/Jody Samson end of things then you may like. But alot depends on how "custom" your custom piece is. If all you are doing is swapping around standard made blades and hilt furniture, then you should not incur much (if any) extra cost. If unique bits or blades need to be made, then you'll probably be looking at a lot.

If all you're doing is swapping components, then be sure to give Arms and Armor a look, as well. They were willing to swap out a slightly different blade for me on their Gustav Vasa parrying dagger at no extra cost. YMMV, though, since this was an extremely straight forward swap - a different blade style that didn't fit as well might have cost more.
Custon makers
Declan,

Sabersmith makes overweight, dangerously spikey fantasy weapons - pretty well put together, but He-Man looking monster slayers nonetheless, IMNSHO. I'm often afraid to even pick them up at the faires. :eek:

Fletcher and Trim make fine swords, but I cannot say what their custom pricing would be. Have you thought about Tinker Pierce? His custom stuff is pretty cool, I think. ;) I own a couple of Jody Samson's swords, and they're great quality! Perhaps you could catch one of his sales? Good luck!
To echo Mr. Gregg " He-man looking monster slayers " is a very apt description. I handled a 1/2 dozen or more of their blades at the Az. Renn fair this spring and if any measure of historical accuracy is a must for you then Sabersmith swords would quite likely leave you wanting.
I was trying to find something positive to balance the negative and the only thing that comes to mind is robust. I'm fairly certain that I could have beaten a rhino to death with the hand & 1/2 or 2 hander's with the blades being little worse for the wear.
If however you are fine with fantasy type blades, albeit wearing historical names for the most part,...on second thought I still couldn't recommend these at the price point mainly because at the listed prices the fit and finish were somewhat less than what I could convince myself was acceptable. I assumed, incorrectly, that the prices reflected where we were at the time. Everything is outrageous at the Renn. However when I went to the site on the card the gentleman gave me I found the prices near identical to what they were selling for at the fair.
As some of the others mentioned the new line of Atrim/Valiant Armory practical blades might be something worth your time to check into. Most of the ones I've seen listed such as the practical long sword were between $275 to $300 compared to $350 at Sabersmith for their hand &1/2.

P.S. Hello again myArmoury. Took 3 months to get a new monitor. Man have I missed learning something new almost daily about my favorite subject.
Re: Custon makers
Christopher Gregg wrote:
Declan,

Sabersmith makes overweight, dangerously spikey fantasy weapons - pretty well put together, but He-Man looking monster slayers nonetheless, IMNSHO. I'm often afraid to even pick them up at the faires. :eek:

Fletcher and Trim make fine swords, but I cannot say what their custom pricing would be. Have you thought about Tinker Pierce? His custom stuff is pretty cool, I think. ;) I own a couple of Jody Samson's swords, and they're great quality! Perhaps you could catch one of his sales? Good luck!

Thank you so much for the info on Sabersmith, because as I recall either I have not seen their booth up here at the MN Renfest or I passed it by. Either way is not good.

I as well have not seen any prices on CF/AT custom swords so it is hard to judge. His sword style is a little more like the order that I would place, perhaps lowering the cost to me. I have looked over Tinker's a couple times in the past and liked what I saw. Though comparing to previous work Tinker has done the level of detail required would put my quote well over $1500 i think, I would like it to be closer 1k if possible however. Although you get what you pay for.

I love Samson's work, possibly due to the fact that I want a leaf-blade, but couldn't find a way to place a custom order on his site and assumed that you couldn't.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: