Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Freak out - My first Albion! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Freak out - My first Albion!         Reply with quote

Oh, my gosh. I've been itching for an Albion for years. I'm in college... I'm pretty poor, but I work part time and I have a lot of ways to keep afloat. I know the prices on these swords are going up tomorrow, and I swear just two hours ago I didn't even think I'd be placing an order.

But that's how this stuff usually happens the first time, right? The most I've ever spent on a sword was $275 for a Paul Chen Practical Plus Katana. To jump up to this level took some guts, and some hard and fast thinking. And no, I'm not drunk or otherwise impaired as I write this (30 seconds after my order was placed).

So here I am, 19 years old, sitting upstairs on my brother's computer at 2:53 am with my parents asleep below me... Mastercard in hand... And..... Annnndddd....

I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY KINGMAKER! WTF?!

-Gregory-

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, congratulations and maybe it helps that if you are just paying the usual deposit the balance won't be charged until the sword is shipped so you can eat " rice and beans " for a month or two until then and maybe absorb most of the cost by saving on money you would have spent on beer & popcorn or movies with a date. Wink Cool ( You can live like a monk for a while: Just think of it as a " Medieval " experience. Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool ).
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Tim May

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Gregory! I too am a college student lusting after an Albion, and to see someone realize this goal really is fantastic. Oh, and excellent choice on the Kingmaker, not only is it a beautiful sword, but it is from an incredibly tumultuous and therefore interesting period in English history, and a sword like that really just seems to belong in the hands of a skilled commander on a medieval battlefield. I don't envy you the decision, as I've positively settled on one of about 9 Albions at one point or another (and on more than one attempt your Kingmaker), jumping from the Viking age till the 15th century. Let us know how you like it, and again, heartfelt congratulations!
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations!

For what it's worth, Albion's products are well worth the wait; I've got three of their swords and am happy with all of them. I've also got a Doge in the queue that I've had my eye on since December (just ordered a few weeks ago), so I know what the anticipation feels like.
Justin B.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations! I took the plunge about five months ago, with a Gaddhjalt, some years after I first discovered Albion. Couldn't believe that I'd just ordered a sword after I got off the phone with Mike, but it was totally worth it!

I like Jean's idea of a bit of monastic living to cover the cost. Very period, no? Wink

Be sure to post pictures!
Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Gregory! I just took the plunge myself a few days ago and ordered my first Albion as well, the Thegn.

I'm down with Jean's monastic living idea as well - great idea. Happy

-Stephanie
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A warrior monk, I'm guessing Happy
"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's great to hear that you've ordered a Kingmaker, Gregory!

I can say from personal experience that it is a truly sweet sword.

I think we need to issue you a word of warning, though...

Once you order an Albion, there is no going back. Oh, sure, you can look at the occassional CAS Iberia/Paul Chen, or a Windlass sword from Museum Replicas. But then you notice the subtle details, lines, and proportions that those companies can't quite seem to grasp, that Albion has absolutely nailed.

I hope you like rice, beans, and Ramen! Razz

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently received my Prince, with the Kingmaker being my second choice. Perhaps one day though!

That Kingmaker sure is beautiful! In about 10 weeks you'll be in sword heaven.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm replies, guys! I woke up this morning thinking to myself "I did something last night, I know it.... Oh, sh!t! I got an Albion!" Then all was well. The wait will be painful but probably helpful, because within the weeks it takes to get the thing I should be able to pay it off, in fact. Happy Anyway, keep the replies coming, it's interesting to see all the others who have recently acquired their first pieces. Cheers!

-Gregory-

(p.s. Mike's quoted me 12 weeks on the sword. Should arrive sometime just after my birthday in that case, which is convenient.)

J. Erb

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad to see I'm not the only 19-year-old college student who salivates over Albion's wares in the small hours of the morning. Laughing Out Loud Congrats! If what everyone here says about Albion is true (and I have every confidence it is), then you've no doubt made an excellent purchase.

Hopefully, I'll soon be in the same position: once all the big bills are paid, I'm planning to "take the plunge" and order a Doge before the year is out, then get in touch with the talented Mr. Ellis at Tritonworks. Wish me luck. Wink

"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause, to use their own knowledge against them?"
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats so cool to read about young people appreciating fine weapons!

I didn't have such taste at such a young age. You guys serve to move this hobby forward and away from all the vitriol out there.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Justin B.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
(p.s. Mike's quoted me 12 weeks on the sword. Should arrive sometime just after my birthday in that case, which is convenient.)

Mike quoted me 16 weeks when I placed my first order back in March of this year, but said that they were running "a bit ahead of that." I came home from work four weeks--to the day--later to find a UPS sticky on my door. Went down the apartment office to find one of those (in)famous white boxes leaning up again the wall, waiting for me...

That probably doesn't help with the anticipation, though Wink
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm one of those poor university students (no honestly, I am) who has somehow managed to collect five Albions, the SQL Bastard, the ML Liechtenauer, and the NG Knight, NG Sempach, and NG Crecy. And I can tell you that Jeremiah is right- once you order Albions, there's no going back. to lower-end swords. Case and point- I ordered a NG Aquilifer for a friend who loves the Roman Empire. Now this is a guy who, when he was younger, admired fantasy swords (like me) because they "look cool". He was totally the sort of guy who'd be in love with a nice replica of the Conan sword, for instance. But, having handled all of my Albions save my Liechtenauer, and having an Albion of his own, he said told me that he's not even interested in fantasy swords now. He even referred to his roommate's Conan sword as an overweight piece of junk or something to that effect.

So, be warned. Wink
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory,

Congratulations! Well, you've certainly set the hook now! You'll have your Kingmaker in no time( parental lie here )! The wait will feel like a lifetime but it isn't, and we've all lived through it so you will too. I'm sure I'm not the only one smiling as we read this , remembering the wait for our first Albion.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is interesting you selected the Kingmaker as your first sword. That was my first Albion sword as well!

You will really like it. You may want to add something to the pommel recess in the future, I'm thinking of doing that sometime. And don't forget to have a scabbard made in the future!
Joey Marmorato

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm another one of those college students who has managed to get some Albions. I just turned 20 and I've got 3: a Knight, a Ringeck, and a Liechtenauer.

Sadly (or happily) Craig and others are right; once you have one you're probably never going to turn back.

But if you work a lot and save gradually, over the course of a few years it's not too difficult to develop a small collection.

Great choice with the Kingmaker! it's near the top of my list for next Albion purchase.

ARMA Free Scholar
Study Group Coordinator
ARMA Atlanta
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hehe congratz Gregory Happy .

I too recently (today at 3:00pm PST) ordered my first Albion. Unfortunately I recently (around 6 pm PST on july 31st) ordered a custom type XVIIIa. And I recently (around 12 pm PST on august 2nd) ordered around 400 dollars worth of gold and silver for one of my other expensive hobbies (I make jewelry). I think I'll be joining you with the beans and rice for a while there buddy. Although a word of advice, a loaf of bread, a package of bologne and a bag of potato can keep you fed for a week for under 10 dollars. Just steal ketcup packets from MckeyDs for the vitamins. Yeah I did that in college when I spent 800 bucks on my first sword...10 years ago Happy .
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys! Nice to see so many of us younger guys making the switch from lower end to higher end weapons these days. It's all thanks to easily accessable hubs such as myArmoury that influence us to choose quality before quantity now, and I think it's a fine shift in pace! Not only do you learn to appreciate individual objects more (I've had my share of quality stuff already, even though this will be a first for swords!) but you also learn to take a lot better care of them and value the longevity of life that well cared for items can possess. So, eager to do it for a sword, too! I plan on getting a Doge next, I think... But first I'll have a custom scabbard made, and I'm already in the planning process for my display box with a glass top and angled stand for the eye candy! Big Grin

Cheers!

-Gregory-

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Hey guys! Nice to see so many of us younger guys making the switch from lower end to higher end weapons these days. It's all thanks to easily accessable hubs such as myArmoury that influence us to choose quality before quantity now, and I think it's a fine shift in pace! Not only do you learn to appreciate individual objects more (I've had my share of quality stuff already, even though this will be a first for swords!) but you also learn to take a lot better care of them and value the longevity of life that well cared for items can possess. So, eager to do it for a sword, too!

Some pretty good points you touched on, my friend! Often times, your collection starts out large consisting of lower- to medium-end pieces. Later, you sell or trade these for higher-end swords. Your collection is now smaller, but consists of high-end pieces. Like you said, quality over quantity!

In 10 years of sword collecting / trading / selling / more collecting, I know too well the feeling you get after talking to Mike at Albion, or Craig at Arms & Armor. Statements like "Wow, I can't wait for my sword to arrive!" and "Oh God, Oh God, I can't believe I just did that!" run circles through your head. Sorta like having the little devil sitting on your left shoulder and the angel sitting on your right! Sixteen weeks seems like an eternity, yet after the first week, you already find yourself peering at your front porch in the vain hope of seeing a long rectangular box. Or my favorite: Don't you love it when 3 DAYS after you order your sword, a FedEx truck stops in front of your house??

Thanks, Gregory, for not only sharing your joy of ordering your first Albion, but for bringing back memories! Razz

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Freak out - My first Albion!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: