Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Price Increase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Paul Watson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of the price increases are bigger than others. I haven't been through the complete list but the Regent & Munich have the biggest percentage increase I looked at , whereas some other swords have much smaller increases such as the Prince, or in the case of the Oakeshott none. Unfortunately for me as it was on my short list the Mercenary has one of the higher percentage increases I looked at. At a cursory glance the increases seem to fit in exactly with what Howy said about billet sizes. The larger price increases seem to be on long thick blades such as XVIIIb's or wide blades such as the Mercenary and Sovereign. If you draw a direct comparism with the Baron (which I guess could be made from a thinner billet) to the thicker blades of similar length, the Barons percentage price increase is nowhere near as much.

edit: my apologies I think the Oakeshott may have risen but certainly much less than $100

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed some off price increases too. Wasn't the agincourt the cheapest of the trio with that blade style? Lucky I ordered the Crecy as that one got one of the bigger price increases (it now costs the same as the talhoffer and ringeck).
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am also glad I got in :-)

Quote:
or in the case of the Oakeshott none

The Oakeshott did go up, it was 999.00 it is now $1100.00

The Dane went up considerably. I think the Dane is going to end up being an amazing piece...

I'm currently in for:
The Dane, Maximillian, Oakeshott (vs Chevallier), Markgraff with half-wire grip, and the Decurio.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like I got in too as I ordered a Munich and a Squire. Glad I did seeing how much the Munich went up.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I:33
Lichtenauer
Epee de Guerre
Knecht
Dane
Maximillian
Vassal

Laughing Out Loud

I'm in debt for years... Razz
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
Lichtenauer
Epee de Guerre
Knecht
Dane
Maximillian
Vassal

Laughing Out Loud

Alrighty then, that's quite a few swords you'll have there. You'll love the I:33 and the Lichtenauer, at least I do. Do be sure to share pictures when they get to their new home.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I am also glad I got in :-)

Quote:
or in the case of the Oakeshott none

The Oakeshott did go up, it was 999.00 it is now $1100.00

The Dane went up considerably. I think the Dane is going to end up being an amazing piece...

I'm currently in for:
The Dane, Maximillian, Oakeshott (vs Chevallier), Markgraff with half-wire grip, and the Decurio.

When I looked at the page it still said $999 so thats a little strange, I will go back and have another look.

edit: ok now it says $1100. Also noticed the Regent is now a full $200 more than the Earl.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
Lichtenauer
Epee de Guerre
Knecht
Dane
Maximillian
Vassal

Laughing Out Loud

Wow...I only stuck myself in debt for one year and I thought I was being bad this week...you got me licked by miles Razz .
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did Kult of Athena also raise the prices of their Albion offerings? I was thinking of purchasing a sword for a contest prize (oh, the guilt gets to me, so...) and getting it at the pre-raised prices is probably the only way to do it.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Did Kult of Athena also raise the prices of their Albion offerings? I was thinking of purchasing a sword for a contest prize (oh, the guilt gets to me, so...) and getting it at the pre-raised prices is probably the only way to do it.

I just checked, and KOA is still offering Albions at the old prices.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Well, you could always ask Ryan at KoA. Wink Big Grin I looked last night and although I hadn't memorized what the prices where before Albion increased it's prices I think that the " In stock " ones may be at the same pre-increase price ?

I would expect that the ones Ryan has to order from Albion will have the new prices ? It's possible that any Ryan ordered a few before the cut-off date may still be lower priced.

Oh, and don't let the guilt get to you: We are the ones who should feel guilty if we knew how much time money and sweat you have already put in keeping the site going. Wink Cool

You could have another prize for this fundraising effort or you could keep the cash for something special later in the year if something particularly good become available ???

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
R D Moore

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Jean Thibodeau"]
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Did Kult of Athena also raise the prices of their Albion offerings? I was thinking of purchasing a sword for a contest prize (oh, the guilt gets to me, so...) and getting it at the pre-raised prices is probably the only way to do it.[/quote

Oh, and don't let the guilt get to you: We are the ones who should feel guilty if we knew how much time money and sweat you have already put in keeping the site going. Wink Cool

You could have another prize for this fundraising effort or you could keep the cash for something special later in the year if something particularly good become available ???

I agree. Maybe you could ( or us too if you like) come up with something interesting later in the year. Or, you could add another prize...a cool dagger, maybe? Whatever you decide to do with any surplus is fine with me. I don't see any reason for you to feel guilty, though. Unless you used the funds to make a payment on your new house Laughing Out Loud Heck, surprise us, Nathan!

Sorry, wrong thread. Too much scotch I'm afraid!
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

Indeed, this was probably one of the largest jumps in their offering. I'm glad I got in on it. It went from $1,221 to $1,800.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:
Chris Artman wrote:

Indeed, this was probably one of the largest jumps in their offering. I'm glad I got in on it. It went from $1,221 to $1,800.

Yes, and I'm still kicking myself for not preordering it! Mad

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong, I love Albion as much as the next guy, but these "Price increases" have to be one of the best marketing strageties ever.

"Buy it now cause its going up tomorrow!"

"We're only making 150... so get yours now!"

I'm fine with it, but I have observe that every time there is a thread about a price jump (even a $50 one), or that they are running out (Why would you stop selling something that is flying out the door like hotcakes?): they get flooded with orders.

Its genius, and next year they get to do it all over again.

I'm not complaining, I'm just observing. I even broke down and pre ordered my Discerner. (though admittedly through KOA. Sorry Albion)

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
Dont get me wrong, I love Albion as much as the next guy, but these "Price increases" have to be one of the best marketing strageties ever.

"Buy it now cause its going up tomorrow!"

"We're only making 150... so get yours now!"

I'm fine with it, but I have observe that every time there is a thread about a price jump (even a $50 one), or that they are running out (Why would you stop selling something that is flying out the door like hotcakes?): they get flooded with orders.

Its genius, and next year they get to do it all over again.

I'm not complaining, I'm just observing. I even broke down and pre ordered my Discerner. (though admittedly through KOA. Sorry Albion)

Where do you get those stats about increased sales from?

The Albions have always been limited editions. Informing the public that they are running low on available numbers as well as letting us know about upcoming price increases is a courtesy on their part that I wish more companies would undertake.

Of course there may well be some marketing benefit but imagine the uproar if they did not inform us in either example given. My belief is that this information is primarily given for our benefit, not Albions. They are a very pro active company, they used to inform us well ahead of time of upcoming swords in development but pulled in the reins on that because of too much negativity, and although they still have several swords in development that have been so for a long time, I do not think we will ever see the number of "swords in development" that we did a couple of years ago because of the aforementioned negativity.

If the consensus is that Albion is doing either of these information exercises for their own benefit not ours, lets all put our hands up and say so, and then suffer price increases and limited editions of swords running out with no prior public information being given.

P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I don't care if it is a marketing strategy...I LIKE that they tell us these thing. Not only that, but they gave us ample time prepare for it. And hell, they are even willing to accept the old prices even if you need to do so on a payment plan. I hardly consider this to be something that is done for their benefit. In fact it probably hurts their bottom line being so nice to us. But even if not, I rather know then not Happy .
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every business has the right to turn a profit.

If that means strategically increasing prices to drive both orders and keep up with ever increasing operating costs, why not?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as it's done ethically and above the board like Albion does.

Let's not forget that Albion is a business. Yes, their business is built around doing what they love doing, but their goal first and foremost is to make money. Of course telling us about the price increase ahead of time generates orders, but that's just savvy marketing on their behalf.

As a consumer, yes seeing the price increase hurts, but if Albion doesn't generate revenue somehow, they will disappear.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If there is a " rush " to order before new prices kick in it just helps Albion by giving it more business shorterm that probably helps postpone later price increases by a bit I think.

But I also don't think they use this strategically otherwise there would be more frequent use of price increases staggered over the same periods that we see increases in price now: Although it might have some beneficial effects on Albion sales pre-increase, the increased price probably slow down sales at the new price for a while right after the new higher prices are in effect. It must be a delicate balance between getting more for each unit sold and maintaining a volume of sales.

I think the folks at Albion love what they do but they have to make money to stay in business and even more to support research and development of new swords ! And we do want this. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Indirectly I also think that if Albion had never existed the incentives for the lower end makers to improve their swords wouldn't have been there, so Albion has had a possitive influence on the quality of what we can find out there. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
The Albions have always been limited editions.

Actually, that's not correct. The first Gens weren't and the first Next Gens weren't. Next Gens were first introduced in August of 2003. The limited edition thing came about in February 2005.

Letting us know they're a running out is both a courtesy and business strategy. Intentionally or not, limited editions spur demand by creating a feeling of exclusivity of ownership and an urge to buy something before it runs out.

Methinks the main purpose of the limited editions was twofold: to retire older designs gracefully, and create/increase demand by limiting supply. Both purposes have been served.

It's not a negative thing, it's just business strategy. No one is putting them down for it.

Ditto with price increases. Albion has done this, as have other makers. By announcing a price increase and allowing people time to book orders at the old price, they create or increase a level of demand. It's business. Whose benefit are they doing it for? You can debate that all day, but everyone who rushes to order wins and Albions gets some cash, too.

Again, no one in saying they're doing anything wrong. Alex is just stating what is pretty obvious and is done all the time in this market and all over the business world. If demand is low, do something to increase it. Business. If you need to raise prices, it's smart to advertise it, offer the old price for a limited time, and get the bump in volume that comes from the rush of orders.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Price Increase
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: