Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

My wall display from top to bottom: a Chinese made ballock dagger, A&A Aunluz, a long dagger, A&A rondel.
[ Linked Image ]
Well, I haven't posted an update since 2015, so perhaps it's time. :) Here's my collection of daggers, current as of this afternoon.

In rough period order, from left to right:

Davis Reproductions 13th century dagger (based on item on loan to the Met)
Custom Arms and Armor Swiss Dagger (based on examples in the Swiss Landesmuseum)
Arms and Armor Classic/Crusade dagger hybrid (similar to published daggers)
Davis Reproductions 14th century rondel dagger (based on one in a private collection)
Custom Arms and Armor rondel dagger (based on one in the Museo Bargello)
Davis Reproductions ballock dagger/by-knife (pommel cap based on a French example, the rest a hybrid of styles)
Tod's Workshop spiderweb quillon dagger (based on X.7 in the Royal Armouries)
Arma Bohemia ballock dagger (based on one in the German History Museum)
Vince Evans Scottish dirk (based on a couple of historic examples)

Attachment: 33.5 KB
daggers2.jpg

Attachment: 38.83 KB
Daggers1.jpg

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Tue 23 Feb, 2021 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
A few more small group shots, just to show the variety within a given dagger family.

Attachment: 24.04 KB
ballocks.jpg
2 15th century ballock daggers

Attachment: 29.99 KB
quillons.jpg
3 quillon daggers

Attachment: 20.79 KB
rondels.jpg
2 rondel daggers
A few 19th Century daggers in my collection. Three Brits and a German.

Attachment: 149.58 KB
daggers.jpg

All my Tod Cutler daggers. CW from the top - Antennae,Stiletto, Swiss Baselard, Italian Baselard, Sheffield Bowie, Bauernwehr, Dudgeon, Rondel.

Attachment: 99.52 KB
tod82S.jpg

Roger Hooper wrote:
All my Tod Cutler daggers. CW from the top - Antennae,Stiletto, Swiss Baselard, Italian Baselard, Sheffield Bowie, Bauernwehr, Dudgeon, Rondel.

Nice! I’d love to get my hands on a bunch of Tod Cutler pieces to review for the site. But I don’t have any physical space in my collection or the cash to swing it right now. :(
Here is a Tlingit dagger that Tod make for me a few years ago.
I tried to get someone from the Tlingit nation to make one for me, but none of the artisans responded to any of my inquiries.
I have always loved Tod's work, and he was able to make this utterly perfect reproduction.

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=296...ht=tlingit

[ Linked Image ]
Harry Marinakis wrote:
Here is a Tlingit dagger that Tod make for me a few years ago.
I tried to get someone from the Tlingit nation to make one for me, but none of the artisans responded to any of my inquiries.
I have always loved Tod's work, and he was able to make this utterly perfect reproduction.

Harry,
That's one of the cooler things I've seen in a while. :) I remember you and Tod posting about it back when it was made, but I'd forgotten how beautiful (and massive) it is. I know there's a pretty heavy Euro-focus among posts here, but I really enjoy seeing these things from elsewhere in the world. Thanks for re-posting it.
It had been a couple of years since I'd taken a group pic of the daggers in my collection, so I thought I'd update this thread. I'm pretty happy with this assemblage of pieces. :)

Attachment: 202.97 KB
DSC00465.jpg

Attachment: 242.73 KB
DSC00453.jpg

Attachment: 226.68 KB
DSC00459.jpg

Attachment: 15.17 KB
DSC00466.jpg

Chad Arnow wrote:
... I'm pretty happy with this assemblage of pieces. :)

You should be! A very nice variety, & each appears quite well done without being too fancy.

Also, reminds me I need to get a second nice but simpler dirk someday...is yours from Tod's Cutler shop or...?
Carl W. wrote:

You should be! A very nice variety, & each appears quite well done without being too fancy.

Also, reminds me I need to get a second nice but simpler dirk someday...is yours from Tod's Cutler shop or...?

The dirk is a custom piece by Vince Evans. :) More pics can be found here: http://myArmoury.com/chad_dagg_ve_dirk2.html
[ Linked Image ]

For the record, the daggers are (from left to right):

-Davis Reproductions 12th-13th century Crusader dagger (based on one on loan to the Met)
-Arms & Armor custom Swiss dagger (based on several originals dated to the late 13th/early 14th century)
-Arms & Armor dagger (combination of their Crusader dagger with the pommel from a discontinued dagger)
-Davis Reproductions 14th century rondel dagger (based on one in a private collection found in the Thames)
-Tod's Workshop Wallace Collection rondel dagger
-Davis Reproductions ballock dagger with by-knife (based on several original examples)
-Tod's Workshop spiderweb quillon dagger (based on a piece in the Royal Armouries)
-Arma Bohemia ballock dagger (based on a piece in the German History Museum)
-Vince Evans Scottish dirk (based mostly off an example from a Peter Finer catalogue)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Page 4 of 4

Jump to: