Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Kriegsmesser and the Fechtbuch Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: The Kriegsmesser and the Fechtbuch         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am wondering if there are fechtbuchs that have sections dealing with the kriegsmesser in particular.

Albion's website (speaking of the Knecht) says:
Quote:
We can see from presentations in art that the Kreigsmesser was put to use in much the same advanced fighting techniques as was the longsword.

I am in agreement here, yet I noticed something on the illustration on said website that tickled my curiosity. One will note that the fighter on the left would seem to be holding his kriegsmesser in an approximation of Ochs-- but with a difference(?) He seems to be holding the knife in a single handed grip with the dull (or short edge) of the blade resting on one arm. It just struck me as an interesting variation, if indeed it is a variation of standard longsword fencing.

I expect that, even if the longsword provides the basis for kriegsmesser fencing, there will be some adaptation to make the best use of the single edge... the thing is this is all guesswork. I've never put much thought into this before. If anyone has anything to offer with regards to the fechtbuchs, or my guesswork above, I would love to hear from you.

Cheers... David

Edit Looking more closely I am not certain that it is a single-handed grip (unless our man is left-handed). Nonetheless, feedback is appreciated).

Attachment: 47.89 KB
1500fence.jpg

James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Kriegsmesser and the Fechtbuch         Reply with quote

I would guess that you could adapt long sword techniques to the krieggsmesser, but it would also be easier to adapt the messer (dussak) techniques to it. Having taken a seminar with Hared Kirby on the subject, and playing with what he taught, I find the techniques flow back on forth from the dussak to messer and kriegsmesser easily, though getting a real messer in hand will prove this much more than the slates of wood I use now.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Kriegsmesser and the Fechtbuch
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic