Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > WMA in role-playing games Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An oldie - but always liked Runequest for its combat system..

Seems to accurately reflect the strengths of weapons and armour while still having scope for taking one hit and being out of the combat..

Not too demanding on time to resolve combats too. I think its a good balance anyway.
Dan Sellars

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might want to look at Burning Wheel, http://burningwheel.org/forum/index.php . While specifically not a WMA system it does capture the feel very well and there are a lot of other things about the system to really recommend it.
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is much too like about TROS for representing combat well, but it takes more involvement as to how much to parry with, etc. Combat can be quick once an initial telling blow is given, that's good IMO.

Plus Plate armour can be cut through in that game by a highly skilled type, a bit over the top.

Harnmaster is pretty good (I'd recommend the Gold edition), but needs some houserules to give it a good realistic look.

Neither are hitpoints based, a very unrealisitc part of many RPG's.
Dan Sellars

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
There is much too like about TROS for representing combat well, but it takes more involvement as to how much to parry with, etc. Combat can be quick once an initial telling blow is given, that's good IMO.

Plus Plate armour can be cut through in that game by a highly skilled type, a bit over the top.

Harnmaster is pretty good (I'd recommend the Gold edition), but needs some houserules to give it a good realistic look.

Neither are hitpoints based, a very unrealisitc part of many RPG's.

Oh yeah TROS is my second favorite system after the BW family.
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the best systems I've come across was the modified D20 system used in the A Game of Thrones RPG put out by Guardians of Order.

They added defensive actions, with a defense bonus progression similar to the attack bonus progression.

They also added a shock threshold, meaning that any time a character took damage equal to more than half his constitution, he had a chance of being incapacitated for the round.

And they changed armor from making a character harder to hit to actually absorbing damage, and added rules for attacking weak points in the armor.

All in all, a very quick-playing system, but I find it much more satisfying and realistic than vanilla D20.

Alas, Guardians of Order has now folded, so the system is probably pretty difficult to find anymore.

Gloria Virtutem Sequitur
Michael K Wislon

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a game called "7th Sea" , don't know if it is still in print.. It was basically an alternate European setting. Each culture had differnt weapon schools and each school had certain weapons it applied to. I really liked the one for the Eisen(Germans)

The Conan RPG by Mongoose uses a variation of the D20 system ,similiar to what was described about Game of Thrones.
You have a defense which must be overcome to get hit, then armor takes damage for you.
Justin B.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. D. Simpson wrote:
One of the best systems I've come across was the modified D20 system used in the A Game of Thrones RPG put out by Guardians of Order.

They added defensive actions, with a defense bonus progression similar to the attack bonus progression.

They also added a shock threshold, meaning that any time a character took damage equal to more than half his constitution, he had a chance of being incapacitated for the round.

And they changed armor from making a character harder to hit to actually absorbing damage, and added rules for attacking weak points in the armor.

All in all, a very quick-playing system, but I find it much more satisfying and realistic than vanilla D20.

Alas, Guardians of Order has now folded, so the system is probably pretty difficult to find anymore.

I don't know why I didn't think to mention AGOT in my first reply to this thread. It is good, even for a d20-based system. The d20 core of AGOT (of which there is only one book) is almost 500 pages long, and pretty much completely re-wrote the mechanics of the d20 system in favour of realism and politicking. Sadly, it still has affectations like hitpoints, however. On the flipside, though... combat within AGOT's ruleset is far more lethal than in traditional D&D-like settings.
AGOT was also released under the OGL ruleset... has anyone had any experience with this version?

I'm gonna plug Storyteller again, though. Really, it's like writing a novel mitigated by the occasional roll of dice: excellent balance of mechanics and imagination Happy

And I really want in on that GURPS test. Wish I'd thought to purchase stuff before!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > WMA in role-playing games
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: