Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
81%
 81%  [ 61 ]
Very Good
14%
 14%  [ 11 ]
Good
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Fair
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 75

June 30: myArmoury.com news and updates
Today's update:

[ Linked Image ]
Albion Armorers Chieftain Sword
A hands-on review by Steve Maly

[ Linked Image ]
Albion Armorers Gallowglass Sword
A hands-on review by Greg Griggs

[ Linked Image ]
Tod's Stuff Scottish Dirk with Buffalo Horn Grip
A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

[ Linked Image ]
Mad Piper Snouted Ribbon Basket-hilt
A hands-on review by Henrik Bjoern Boegh

[ Linked Image ]
Tod’s Stuff Scottish Dirk with Buffalo Horn Grip
Added to Chad's collection

[ Linked Image ]
Albion Chieftain Sword
Added to Steve's collection

[ Linked Image ]
Vince Evans Diamond Basket-hilt

[ Linked Image ]
Vince Evans Early Scottish Dirk

[ Linked Image ]
E.B. Erickson Silver-inlaid Basket-hilt
Added to Nathan's collection

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Writing this at 4:30 a.m. my time so I can't do everyone justice detailing my reaction to each review or piece added to their collection but I can say that all the pieces presented are breathtakingly beautiful and the pics and reviews very well done.

Nice surprise to see all of these at once and a bit overwhelming. :D :cool:
Excellent reviews, the real meat of what I come to myArmoury for :) I like the Scottish theme! I have to admit I am not a huge fan of broadswords, but the E.B. Erickson Silver-inlaid Basket-hilt in Nathan's collection is amazing.
Very nice reviews all around a nicely chosen theme! My thanks to all the writers who contributed!
My only suggestion for improvement concerns Steve Maly's Chieftain review...
Hic jacet Malcoumbus MacDuffie de Collonsay does not in fact translate as "where lie the tombs of the MacDuffie/MacFie Clans," but rather simply as "Here lies Malcolm MacDuffie of Collonsay." It's a minor point, but one I thought worth correcting.
Keep up the good work everyone!
Excellent articles and reviews! Nothing quite like seeing Albion AND Vince Evans pieces being discussed. I always enjoy gawking over Mr. Evans' pieces, especially his basket-hilts. Keep up the great work!
I stop at myArmoury several times during the day when I'm online, and always
look to the right of my screen for news and reviews. Quality pics and first-hand
information. Excellent job as always.

But when are one of you guys gonna' get a Polish Hussar Saber to review ?
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
I stop at myArmoury several times during the day when I'm online, and always
look to the right of my screen for news and reviews. Quality pics and first-hand
information. Excellent job as always.

But when are one of you guys gonna' get a Polish Hussar Saber to review ?

Perhaps someone who owns one will review it for us. :) The majority of our reviews come from the collections of the reviewers. We need collectors with those kind of items to volunteer to write a review.

I know I've said this a few times, but we'd love to have reviews of every kind of weapon and armour. But we can only publish what people submit to us. If no one submits a review of a particular item, it follows that we can't publish it. :) We can only publish reviews of items we have access to.

Any volunteers? :)
C.L. Miller wrote:
Very nice reviews all around a nicely chosen theme! My thanks to all the writers who contributed!
My only suggestion for improvement concerns Steve Maly's Chieftain review...
Hic jacet Malcoumbus MacDuffie de Collonsay does not in fact translate as "where lie the tombs of the MacDuffie/MacFie Clans," but rather simply as "Here lies Malcolm MacDuffie of Collonsay." It's a minor point, but one I thought worth correcting.
Keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks for the catch in punctuation! It should actually read: "Hic jacet Malcoumbus MacDuffie de Collonsay", where lie the tombs of the MacDuffie/MacFie Clans--as a description of the location rather than a direct translation. The editorial placement of a parenthesis and quotation marks certainly changes the meaning! ;)
Steve Maly wrote:

Thanks for the catch in punctuation! It should actually read: "Hic jacet Malcoumbus MacDuffie de Collonsay", where lie the tombs of the MacDuffie/MacFie Clans--as a description of the location rather than a direct translation. The editorial placement of a parenthesis and quotation marks certainly changes the meaning! ;)

Ah, that makes perfect sense! Good work on the review - Your introduction concerning the usage of the word "claymore" especially helpful and illuminating. Thanks!
This update group is a momentous one for us. First, we welcome 3 new reviewers in Steve, Greg, and Henrik. Thanks, guys! Steve's collection gallery is online on our Collection page, but this is his first published review.

Also, this group pushes us above 200 published reviews. :) I know our publishing pace has slowed more recently, but we've published an average of 40 a year since the site started nearly 5 years ago. And we're not done. :) We have more in the works and are always looking for even more.
I must say that dirk of yours is really something, Chad.
It's good to see that the two lovely pieces by Evans and Eljay has found such good homes. The pictures are excellent.
Too bad I wasn't able to take better photos myself. I tried taking them outdoor in winter and I just couldn't get the proper light when I had a decent background. But I think Nathans editing helped a lot.

Cheers,
Henrik
Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
I must say that dirk of yours is really something, Chad.
It's good to see that the two lovely pieces by Evans and Eljay has found such good homes. The pictures are excellent.
Too bad I wasn't able to take better photos myself. I tried taking them outdoor in winter and I just couldn't get the proper light when I had a decent background. But I think Nathans editing helped a lot.

Cheers,
Henrik

Henrik,
Thanks! I like that dirk a lot. It's big, but so is the original it's based on.

For pictures, I shoot indoors exclusively. I use 3 500-watt halogen lights, bouncing off a somewhat low white ceiling. I use a sheet of vinyl I bought at a fabric store for less than $20. It's been great for me.

I've tried shooting outdoors, but cloud cover can ruin shots and wind can blow your background around. Too much hassle. :)

Thanks for your review. I've always been interested in Donnie's work.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: