Chainmail hood found in Sweden
A couple of days ago, a c. 700 years old chainmail hood was found in a medieval shurch on the island of Gotland, Sweden. An early examination of the very well-preserved hood indicates that it could be the genuine article. More to come!
What a wonderful find! Is there a site yet with more information, or will that all come in time?
David Quivey wrote:
What a wonderful find! Is there a site yet with more information, or will that all come in time?

Just in Swedish, I'm afraid. I know a couple of the people who have seen it, and trust them when they say it is authentic. Here's a pic:

Attachment: 40.79 KB
Bild-001Webb.jpg

Found in a church? In a tomb in a church? On the coatrack? What?
That's a great find! It's highly unusual to find one in that kind of shape. I'd love to see some more detailed information on this.
It was found a couple of weeks ago in a crawlspace in the tower of the medieval church in Tofta, Gotland. Hidden under several centuries' worth of old birds' nests, bird sh*t and dead birds, the chainmail hood was found by one of the workers restoring the tower. The rings haven't fused by rusting, and there are even remains of the leather straps used to improve the fit of the hood. More to come...
You've got to wonder how it ended up there of all places. I know I'd be digging around up there for other stuff.
Perhaps large quantities of birdsh*t makes a great steel preservative. Though I don't think I'll be trying it myself.
Leif Hansen wrote:
Perhaps large quantities of birdsh*t makes a great steel preservative. Though I don't think I'll be trying it myself.

It could be a cheap packing material for Albion... :lol:
Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Leif Hansen wrote:

It could be a cheap packing material for Albion... :lol:

:wtf:

Don't give them any ideas. I have a sword on order. :lol:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: