Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > long handelled axes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joseph. C

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: long handelled axes         Reply with quote

i know that in the 12th and 13th centuries the scots used long handelled axes but did the welsh english use them as well?
i believe the welsh short one handed axes, is that corect Question
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Previous to the Norman invasion in 1066 and of course fighting them during it, the English used the "Danish axe" as I've generally heard it called, the large 2 handed battle axe (approximate 5' in height). I'm no expert but I know i've read of multiple accounts of them using them in battle.

Not sure about later on, but I don't think the idea went away.

On the Scot side there's a large axe, identified as Russian in design but used by the Scots against the English in the Tower of London. Later period (I think it was 1400s) but definitely falls into the "Large Axe" category!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Fulton wrote:

On the Scot side there's a large axe, identified as Russian in design but used by the Scots against the English in the Tower of London. Later period (I think it was 1400s) but definitely falls into the "Large Axe" category!

Large Danish axes evolving into Sparth and Bardiche axes where the top point ( Horn/corner ) becomes long enough to be usable in the thrust and the blades become longer and are attached to the haft by a second eye or riveted at the bottom horn.

The Lochaber (spelling ? ) axe being sort of related at least in function to the Danish axe also, and having a hook at the top towards the back.

Then when we talk about large axes there are 3 basic sizes:

1) The long 5' or more Danish axe.
2) The medium sized ones with 3' to 4' hafts. ( Depending on weight can still be used one handed but are slow to recover one handed. These need a shield for defence if used onehanded. With two hands these can be very fast but lack reach.
3) The small axes that can be used like a tomahawk or francisca in the hand or thrown.

The Welsh use of axes I don't know, in the sense of it being a favourite weapon, but the axe used as a tool is often pressed into service as a weapon even in cultures were it isn't a speciality: An example of this would be the Roman era Frank who
are named after the francisca as it was one of their favourite weapons. ( Or so it is said ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
B. Fulton wrote:

Large Danish axes evolving into Sparth and Bardiche axes where the top point ( Horn/corner ) becomes long enough to be usable in the thrust and the blades become longer and are attached to the haft by a second eye or riveted at the bottom horn.

I don't know about the supposed genetic link between the Scottish axe and the Russian berdysh, but the etymological link between the latter and the French/English term "bardiche" is pretty obvious.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > long handelled axes
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic