Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A new custom sword project by Peter Lyon Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

and the latest is working on the termination of the fullers where they curves

Most folks here probably are into more historical swords, and this is most definantly a fantasy sword inspired by Peter's work on LOTR< so it may not be your cup of tea, but it is most definantly one of the most unique sword designs I have ever seen.
It has some very unique features such as the curving fullers, the triple fullers with the central fuller terminating before the flanking fullers.....and then on top of that its a leaf blade.
Ive said it before and Ill say it again, I only know of TWO swordsmiths, (Peter and John lundemo) our there that "get" leaf blades. I dont know why it is, but it seems like leafblade shapes must be hard to get right..
Also, another unique feature of the sword is the pommel, its a work of art in of itself.
ALso, the guard is going to be very unique once its finished...
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great David. I got into swords because of reading books like Lord of the Rings and Conan so I still have a place in my heart for fantasy inspired swords especially functional ones. I know I look forward to seeing the finished project. Peter is a very talented smith.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't argue, that's pretty cool. In particular the pommel is very, very nice looking. I love all the lines and little details that keep the eye moving from one area to the next.

A great eye catcher you have in the works there!

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
P. Thompson

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: nice         Reply with quote

very good looking blade, can't wait to see the finished product.
"Pistos Achri Thanatou"
Faithful Unto Death
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not much into fantasy swords, but the outstanding craftsmanship evident in this piece is pretty mind-boggling. I can't wait to see it finished.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
John Schaefer

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know this thread is almost a year old, but, was wondering if the sword was ever finished and how did it come out.

Thanks
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok. It's been almost another year (and over 5 since this thread started Eek! ). Any updates on this project? I'm in love with that pommel and would love to see the finished piece.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still going slowly, I am currrently covering the grip, but it is awkward as the ceilings are being painted so everything in the house is downstairs, including the workshop. But hopefully in a few more days.
Still hammering away
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, thank you so much for the update. Really glad to see this is still ongoing. What had been posted so far is just spectacular and I can't wait to see the eventual finished piece. I'm especially fond of what you've done with that pommel. Just beautiful. Big Grin
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
David Stokes

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Been a while since an update but it's still coming along

Attachment: 42.56 KB
image.jpg

Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK - major congratulations on the design... you did it RIGHT.

Orcrist was an ELVEN Blade - it's just fine that a Dwarf got hold of it, but it was NOT designed for a Dwarf. Nor have I ever been able to understand why Peter Jackson invented Elvish Katanas Sad.

Now one thing - should you opt for engraving? Remember the swords History. You will want runes of THIS ilk:

http://www.reocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/9902/runegond.html

Those are Gondolinic Runes - slightly different from third age runes. If Curious? The small drawing at the bottom reads "Glamdring" - and clearly shows something that is NOT a Katana Happy. Your design is very, VERY good.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well we opted for no engravings for aesthetic purposes. It's got a lot of intricate shapes and we didn't want to break it up
However it does have a CZ stone in the cross
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a classic Peter Lyon design and is VERY much in keeping with the established style for both "Sting" and "Glamdring" from the LotR movies trilogy. I have to say that I much prefer this look to the Elven sabres; it intuitively feels much more like what I was expecting from reading the books. Having said that, I don't necessarily dislike the sabres and glaives that they came up with (there were actually some very clever ideas), I just prefer this!

The only sword design from the movies that just doesn't do it for me at all was the movie version of "Orcrist" from The Hobbit. Yes, I know that Orcrist translates as the "Goblin Cleaver" -- but that doesn't mean that it actually has to LOOK just like an over-grown butcher's cleaver! (Sorry, Peter...!!) I understand that from Peter Jackson's point of view there is a filmmaker's imperative that the two swords should be obviously distinguishable from one another on-screen and that forces an entirely different set of design requirements that necessarily push the creative process down a different path.

THIS design, however, is the PERFECT companion for the movie versions of Glamdring and Sting. It makes much more sense for another Elven sword that was meant to have been designed and forged at around the same time. In my head and my imagination when reading the books this is much more how I imagine Orcrist to be. Amazing work!
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sigh - don't me started on Peter Jackson. He might as well have given Thorin an M60. The movie Orcrist is silly, on several fronts.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well here we go folks!
She is finally finished!
Peter sent me pics of the assembled sword with finished blade
(Note hasn't been peened yet hence the tang)

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very brilliant. So much better than what they put into the movie. So much better. Excellent vision, excellent art and its going to an excellent caretaker.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now this is interesting - edrigol (especially) the construction photos....

I see that a single piece grip has been made - the risers are even in. Yet, a steel ring relief shows in the grip core....

So - (an assumption) - the grip core will be nearly complete, and THEN cut at the center of the ring relief, allowing the ring to be slid in .... and I'm sure allowances have been made for the saw kerf.

This is a VERY good post - not only is the sword stunning - there is some serious data within the photos. I now understand HOW to best construct a grip with an incorporated ring Happy.

Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
WOW! That is truely beautiful! I wish I had the cash,and more to the point "patience" to get something like this made.
6 years! I guess, all-the-more-sweet, when you get it in hand :-) congrats!
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is really spectacular. I have not seen a new LOTR sword in a long time. I love the excitation of the whole look and the attention to detail is remarkable
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a well made and beautiful sword! What strikes me the most about this blade in the pommel and guard, a would imagine the guard ends could make decent hammer, the "beards a great tripping device, and the hollow ground pommel a great flanged mace!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A new custom sword project by Peter Lyon
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: