Bayonet fencing?
I posted an article on the history of the bayonet the other weak and I have another question . I wondered if there are any articles on the history of bayonet fencing that anyone knows of? I've scrounged what I can from Google and found references to people such as "Gomard", Richard Burton and Alfred Hutton. The image is pretty incomplete though and I'm naturally quite distrustful of what I find on the internet. For expample the story behind Richard Burton's work (he was also famous for his "sexual exploration" according to Rupert Everett) is that he published a manual before the Crimean War but it was not adopted by the British Army until after and the meagre royalties he received he gave to beggar. This kind of story makes me want to disregard everything I've read although obviously Hutton is quite credible but is handicapped by the later dates of his work.
Re: Bayonet fencing?
R Fox wrote:
I posted an article on the history of the bayonet the other weak and I have another question . I wondered if there are any articles on the history of bayonet fencing that anyone knows of? I've scrounged what I can from Google and found references to people such as "Gomard", Richard Burton and Alfred Hutton. The image is pretty incomplete though and I'm naturally quite distrustful of what I find on the internet. For expample the story behind Richard Burton's work (he was also famous for his "sexual exploration" according to Rupert Everett) is that he published a manual before the Crimean War but it was not adopted by the British Army until after and the meagre royalties he received he gave to beggar. This kind of story makes me want to disregard everything I've read although obviously Hutton is quite credible but is handicapped by the later dates of his work.

What do you mean by Hutton being "handicapped by the later dates of his work"?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: