Joined the Albion Collector's Club: Help Picking Free Sword.
Hi All,

I got some really good news today and passed a very important exam. To celebrate, I added the Brescia spadonia to my list of swords. It just so happens my next Albion sword is free, or thereabouts. Opinion's appreciated for picking the free sword from the following list is appreciated:

1) Munich Gothic

2) Markgraf with half-wire grip

3) The Viceroy

4) The Discerner ( I love Excaliber)

5) The Solingen

6) The Tritonia

(I already ordered: Kingmaker, Svante, Brescia Spadonia, Dane, Maximillian, and Valkyrje)
I suggest making this a poll.

As per my favs on your list:

1) Markgraf with half-wire grip

2) Munich Gothic

3) The Viceroy
I would say the Munich Gothic. That sword, to me at least, it one of those that is a quintessential sword. One that if someone was to draw a 'knightly' sword, it would have one of the aspects of this sword somewhere in it. I think you could liken it to a classic sports car, one that has such a well known design that it has its image as a stereotype of that kind of car.
What an easy choice
Oh, Hel, you HAVE to - based on your collection to date - get The Discerner. That's a magnificent blade. It would be out of place in my collection, but I'd say it's a must have for yours.

I'm currently waiting for my free Knecht, which I think is the coolest thing since slicing bread. In fact, I'll use the Knecht to slice some bread.

Good luck choosing.

jwe
Great quandry to be in, eh? My vote goes to the Solingen. You've got really nifty two handers already
so I would say you have them nicely represented. Down turned quilloned and 3/4 fullered knightly swords
are at this point under represented in your collection! Given your choices I think you'll have a winner
regardless. And pick the Solingen.

Best,

Doug G.
I would recommend the Solingen or the Munich Gothic. The Solingen because I think it's a unique piece the likes of which I haven't seen anywhere else in the reproduction world, and the Munich Gothic because I think it's simply beautiful and high performance (the beautiful even by Albion's standards!).

Regardless, I wish I had that kind of problem!

Max
1) The Discerner
2) Munich Gothic
3) The Tritonia

1) Because its more likely to be discontinued than the others, and is a center piece to any collection. (I also loved Excalibur)
2) Because its the Munich Gothic, i mean, come on, nuff said. :D But, really, it's without question one of the most elegant looking swords they have made IMHO.
3) Because I always liked the design and uniqueness. Another that could be sold out soon, but not so "must have" that I couldn't pass for now.

Though I'm a long way from being in such a position to have the agony of choice...
Wow, it is always so hard to make a decision, so I'll have to get them all at some point.

Out of curiousity, has anybody seen both versions of the Discerner? My understanding after talking to Mike is that the only difference was the fact that they used gold plating and real silver throughout the hilt. Did they actually look that different? Also, silver certainly oxidizes fairly quickly...

Ok, this is just too hard to make a decision, so I am likely going to get the discerner since, apparently it is a true historical sword and also a famous sword. How appealing is it to have both a historical sword and one of the most famous book/ movie swords of all time? I really like it... But I also very much like all the others on the list. Because my free sword value is about $1600 (the Svante really bumped up the average), I should get something that slightly exceeds that price, otherwise you lose the difference... so for that reason as well, I'll likely get the discerner as my free sword. The Munich Gothic would also fullfill this category... Well, maybe they have another incentive program so I can get them all!

I have to say I'm still eyeing up the Oakeshott and the Chevalier, I'm very curious to see the Chevalier before deciding between those two...

The Markgraf seems like it is going to be irresitable as well... All on the list do, so it is just a matter of which first I guess....
I used my $$ amount as a discount on my St. Maurice of Turin sword. I have been extremely impressed with the Museum Line swords (and it appears you have the same taste), so I would lean in that direction. I have a Tritonia as well, and it is an extremely well balanced "beast". I would expect the Solingen to be just as impressive, as well as the Discerner.

You've got a great collection going there! Someday, the Svante and the Brescia Spadona will be mine...
I would feel tortured deciding between the Discerner and a Munich. Both are great enough that you will want to display them on the wall, and probably end up with a jealous spouse.

I hate to spend that kind of money on something that I love too much to use (wanting primarily to preserve instead.) I dread the possibility of nicking my Munich, but feel obligated to use it to justify having paid for it what i did. Getting another one free would make me feel a lot better about just collecting and displaying it.

Just out of curiosity, can you apply your free credit towards one of the advanced reservation swords? A Tyrolean or Maximilian are things I would like to have for collecting purposes, but not pay for as a generic WMA tool.
What a horrible decision to make....mmm now which free Albion should I choose.

I could happily argue a point for the Munich, Discerner, Tritonia or Solingen.

As your collection has a broad range I would suggest getting the Solingen. This is because you only have two single handers currently on order as opposed to four hand and a half/ two handers, so it would balance things out in this respect. Also the Solingen falls somewhere between the Kingmaker and Valkyrja so then you would have a better representation on the evolution of the single handed sword.

When enquiring some time ago Mike told me that either the Solingen or Knight were probably thier best, nimble single handed cutters, so yeah I would say the Solingen from your list.

Alternatively ou might want to wait until you have some of the swords in hand to work out which you prefer however, single handers or the larger swords.
Chris Artman wrote:
I am likely going to get the discerner since, apparently it is a true historical sword and also a famous sword. How appealing is it to have both a historical sword and one of the most famous book/ movie swords of all time?

If historical accuracy is very important, I'd urge you to do lots of research on this sword. An awful lot of its design provenance seems to rest on thinly sourced family legend that contradicts very well informed scholarship.
I ordered the Discerner, but to be honest, I want all of the swords in that list and a couple more...

So the next post sometime later this year will likely be: Ordered my 13th sword, need help picking my final free (14th) sword...

I certainly hope Peter adds more to the museum level swords, that would be very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: