Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New grip for my Regent Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: New grip for my Regent         Reply with quote

I finally worked up the courage to do this after thinking about it for a long time. The grip on my Albion Regent has never felt quite right to me, the shape offers very good edge orientation, but it just never seemed to offer enough control surface to my hands so I hauled it out to the shop on Sunday afternoon and stared at it for awhile, then very gingerly scraped at the edge of the wrap with an exact-o knife until I finally caused enough damage that I couldn't turn back. Then I sliced all the way up the grip, and removed the wrap and riser cords. This was my first attempt at a leather-wrapped grip, and this being my most expensive sword I felt a bit of pressure once the grip was gone. And it was already 1:30 on Sunday afternoon...
My intention was to increase the thickness of the grip and provide more flat surface at the edge, while maintaining the original width, using a cord wrap over the core to add bulk under the new leather wrap. To maintain the original width it was necessary to narrow the wood core slightly by rasping the edges down to account for the thickness of the cord, this also helped to increase the flat surface at this area which I felt was lacking on the original grip.
Then I wrapped the core with a round imitation leather cord (not sure what it's actually made of, I have a bunch of it so I figured I'd try it out), securing the ends with super glue. I used the same cord to create the risers, one turn for the ends and two for the larger one in the center, again attatching them with super glue. Just for fun at the last minute I added one an inch towards the guard, placed to sit just under the edge of my palm when in a hammer grip.
Then I "scarfed" the edge of the leather I would be using, cutting a very acute bevel on the edge that would be the exposed seam so that on the outside it came down to a thin, feathery edge. The other edge I beveled also to help keep it from forming a line under the wrap. I don't remember where I got the leather, it was from a hobby store I think and was very thin black leather, like driving gloves are made from. I coated the leather and the grip with contact cement, started at one edge, and wrapped the leather tightly around the grip, until I had a roughly calculated 1/4" overlap on the edge where I started.
This I wetted and coated with Elmer's Nano-Glue, very thinly, removed the excess, and pusehd the edge down, wrapping it over tightly with food wrap for about 45 minutes. Then I burnished the seam with the side of a pen and let it dry. The seam isn't invisible but It is close enough to not show up in pictures much at all, the edge-on shot is looking right at it. It is down tight enough to resist picking at it with my fingernail, seems to be a very durable seam.
The result looks much like the original in profile except for the added riser, the added thickness and gentling of the corners is subtle but provides a much more confidence-inspiring grip to me, improving the feel of the sword to an impressive degree considering the effort. Total time was about 5 hours including the staring.
I didn't take any before pics unfortunately...

Attachment: 79.01 KB
regentgrip 002 (3).jpg

Attachment: 55.79 KB
regentgrip 004 (3).jpg

Attachment: 55.73 KB
regentgrip 006 (3).jpg

Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good work!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice job Justin, I was eager to see your work after you told me about it. I'd expect a call from the folks at Albion shortly... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Very nice job Justin, I was eager to see your work after you told me about it. I'd expect a call from the folks at Albion shortly... Happy

Gads, you don't suppose they have my number, do you? Thought it was unlisted...
Thanks for the comments, guys. I was amazed how much the feel has changed with a really minor change in girth and shape.
My other 2 Albions both have grips that feel natural to me, and I will leave them as they are. This one just never felt "all there" in my hand, there is no accounting for ergonomics I guess.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin King wrote:

Gads, you don't suppose they have my number, do you? Thought it was unlisted...
Thanks for the comments, guys. I was amazed how much the feel has changed with a really minor change in girth and shape.
My other 2 Albions both have grips that feel natural to me, and I will leave them as they are. This one just never felt "all there" in my hand, there is no accounting for ergonomics I guess.

Mike Sigman has ways of making people talk...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Bren O

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The immitation leather cord is usually just a coated cotton. However for Risers in particular might I venture to suggest trying real leather cord. It cuts very cleanly and doesn't fray. Thus it allows near perfect, clean joins. It might make the job easier for others trying this in future. Just something I've picked up.
Well done on your Albion. It's Beautiful!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New grip for my Regent
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic