Custom Axe Commission: suggestions appreciated.
Hi All,

Another project that I have submitted is based on several features of axes I have seen, one of which is the museum piece I have shown the picture of. My question to you would be, what is your favorite axe, whether it is fantasy based, or a piece in a museum. I really like the looks of this particular piece.

Attachment: 21.21 KB
normal_Axt_mit_radschlosspistole_1560.jpg

Should be an interesting project...are you having the wheel-lock part replicated as well?
Dan
No, in fact, I'd like to get a much more ornate handle. So far, this is one of the nicest looking axes I've seen. I'm looking for other examples of axes like this. I have some others, and will likely combine the features I like on each...

Attachment: 12.44 KB
normal_bgrandy_nymet_axes.jpg

Attachment: 92.02 KB
[ Download ]
At one point, a while back I was eyeing up the axe used in Gladiator ;)

Attachment: 123.88 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 134.42 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 146.09 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 98.9 KB
Getting stuck in the foot [ Download ]
Chris Artman wrote:
At one point, a while back I was eyeing up the axe used in Gladiator ;)

O.K. for a film prop but looks too much like something turned out of " plumbing supplies and inspired by some Asian Indian axes.

You have found some much more interesting ones now that you have started doing all the research lately: Taste evolves with knowledge and what looked cool before may look awkward or inelegant after exposure to the real thing.

That axe also looks " dramatic " but would probably be way overweight as the axe blade seems very thick: Aluminium or even some sort of plastic maybe ? No idea how they made the film prop but it being balanced if made exactly the same in steel would be surprising.

Nothing wrong with a way out there fantasy piece as long as one knows that this is what one wants.
( Note: No criticism meant :cool: I just noticed that your knowledge and design ideas have evolved a great deal since your first posts, and in a good way. :D ).
Thank-you.

I really love that axe in the first post... Looks like a trefoil or 'clubs' (from a deck of cards) cutout in the main blade.

I also really like some of the features of portions of this axe and it's engraving.... (From Arms and Armor, a Pictorial Archive from Nineteenth-Century Sources)

Attachment: 92.02 KB
[ Download ]
Chris Artman wrote:
Thank-you.

I really love that axe in the first post... Looks like a trefoil or 'clubs' (from a deck of cards) cutout in the main blade.

I also really like some of the features of portions of this axe and it's engraving.... (From Arms and Armor, a Pictorial Archive from Nineteenth-Century Sources)

More halberd than axe in the pic and late 16th to early 17th century in style: Ceremonial use for palace guards, although I think the Swiss Guard at the Vatican still use these.

( Probably a lot of good and not so good Victorian copies in existence also ).
I've always liked the francesca.

Light, handy, you can even throw it. Norman weapon, though one did make an appearance (or a close replica) in Lord of the Rings as Gimli's hand axe/throwing axe (he threw it in the first movie against the giant troll in Moria that almost killed Frodo with the spear), you see it hanging off his belt previously.

The francesca is probably what later inspired the tomahawk.
Re: Custom Axe Commission: suggestions appreciated.
Chris Artman wrote:
Hi All,

Another project that I have submitted is based on several features of axes I have seen, one of which is the museum piece I have shown the picture of. My question to you would be, what is your favorite axe, whether it is fantasy based, or a piece in a museum. I really like the looks of this particular piece.

If you like that, check this article out: Spotlight: Combination Weapons.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: