Osprey books
Here's a simple question for you guys- I am considering starting to purchase Osprey Publishing books, but I have no first hand experience with them. Are they any good?
Re: Osprey books
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Here's a simple question for you guys- I am considering starting to purchase Osprey Publishing books, but I have no first hand experience with them. Are they any good?

I personally think it varies, because each one is actually written by a different historian and has a different artist, but the overall average quality is good and occasionally brilliant, considering the generally small size of the book.

The focus can also be either more technical or more historical, depending on the specific book. I have about 20 of them and I like the series overall.

Jeanry Chandler
They're excellent and allow you to tailor your personal focus.
I've got 40+ of the medieval titles. They are a mixed bag. If there's a particular title you're pondering, I might be able to give you my impression of it.
One of the great things about ospreys is how they chain together in subject and period-allowing you to either start general(say German medieval armies) and focus into the more specific (either troop types like the Hussites or their campaign series for events). This then leads one into titles focusing on the opposition. I find this format allows details to really sink in and be retained better than longer and more general histories.
Like Bjorn, I've been buying these books for years. They range in quality from very good to rather dubious. It all depends on who's doing the writing and who the artist is. Some of the older titles are really starting to look dated in their content and artwork.

IMHO they are getting to be a bit expensive for what you get, but they can be worthwhile. Just don't try to use them as a single imperical source of reference.
They're kind of like "Cliff Notes" for military history . Easily digested , not to heavy . Many feature illustrations by Angus McBride whose eye for detail and overall composition with the subject matter is really great !
Thanks everyone- I'll start picking up some but probably run some titles by before purchase. Thanks again!
I think my overall favorite was Men at Arms #94, the Swiss at War. I learned an immense amount from that one. I have about 30 titles, mostle medieval, renaissance and classical (Roman, Celtic, German, Greek, Persian, etc.)

I could definately chime in with an opinion on any of the ones I have.

Jeanry
I just picked up The Border Rievers and have really enjoyed it...there are a few bits in there that I kinda of cocked my eyebrow at, but I'll have to do some more reading.
These are the titles I have; if you have any questions about them let me know :)

Knight Hospitaller (1) 1100-1306
Knight Hospitaller (2) 1306-1565
English Medieval Knight 1200-1300
Viking Hersir 7??-1066
Roman Legionary 58BC-69AD
Roman Military Clothing (1) 100BC-200AD
Roman Military Clothing (2) 200AD-476AD
Osprey Books
I have a BUNCH of Osprey titles and agree with those previous posts that some are way better than others. I have them on topics ranging from Bronze Age armies to M4-76mm Shermans. Overall I think they are a handy reference, if kind of dear $$ wise. My recomendation is to see if there are any bookstores which carry a rack near you and cherry pick. It's a crap shoot if you buy blind from the catalog.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: