Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Josh,

You should have let me know you were coming down, my wife and I attended on Saturday. The harness is looking good, in spite of the sunglasses!
Wow some very sleek harnesses up here! Nice work gents. Raising the bar so to speak for the reenactment WMA communities!

Patrick,

Those could be glasses-glasses not sunglasses perhaps.

RPM
Here is probably my most favorite pic to date of everything I have been involved in with Historical Fencing.

I was attending a pole arms class by Greg Mele and Christian Tobler and my helm was...well...bothering me. Allan (Merc Tailor) saw I was having difficulty, walked around the pond to me, took it from me and off he went. My wife especailly likes this pic as it shows a caring craftsman that goes out of his way and donates his own time for others. In the pic he was talking to helm saying something to the effect of "hmmmmm....o.k....fix this...this needs adjusting...JASON! (yelling for his apprententice)

Allan...call me...Lee's house....date.

[ Linked Image ]
Pics, although not showing a kit, but relavent to the thread on armor. Many of the books in Merc Tailor's collection. It's always a pleasure to sit down with Allan and Jason and look through these books over a barbeque and some drinks.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
hey guys. just got back from a ren faire and wanted to show a couple pics. Allan, Your leg armour looks too sweet after I sew'd on chain maille to my padded leggings; completly enclosing the leg in armour. sorry for the smile's I was having a good time. I wanted him to use his real sword, though hasslehoff insisted on the use of wooden swods. I did get him to give ame a hard shield bash which felt like a little tap.If you would like to put them on facebook page Allan, here is a link and I took the password off... http://photobucket.com/ChrisVS

Generally based around 14th-15th centuries, although budget may serve to tweak dates on occasion.
I've got a cloak on the way so I can actually go out in light rain without rust paranoia.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Hope you like.
hmm...it all looks a little bit fantasy style to me, with the helmet, the curras, the bracers and the mail without anything under it. But it's a good start!
That is indeed true, and a gambeson is one of the things I'm most looking into. For the purposes of this photoshoot (my friend was a photographer that wanted some more unusual portraiture experience) I went without my normal extra padding I usually might, but even so I'm getting by on some pretty basic stuff at the moment (an extra sweatshirt, a sport fencing jacket). Thanks a lot for the comment, though. I'll be looking into it.
Quinn W. wrote:
That is indeed true, and a gambeson is one of the things I'm most looking into. For the purposes of this photoshoot (my friend was a photographer that wanted some more unusual portraiture experience) I went without my normal extra padding I usually might, but even so I'm getting by on some pretty basic stuff at the moment (an extra sweatshirt, a sport fencing jacket). Thanks a lot for the comment, though. I'll be looking into it.

Quinn,

Be proud of what you have. We afford what we can get our hands on. Enjoy what you have and pay no heed to what other's think. This may be your only life so enjoy it to the hilt.

As we say in the motorcyle community..."Going out and buying a $35,000.00 Custom Chopper and getting a $100 tattoo doesn't make you a biker".

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Todd M. Sullivan on Sun 03 May, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
hey guys. just got back from a ren faire and wanted to show a couple pics. Allan, Your leg armour looks too sweet after I sew'd on chain maille to my padded leggings; completly enclosing the leg in armour. sorry for the smile's I was having a good time. I wanted him to use his real sword, though hasslehoff insisted on the use of wooden swods. I did get him to give ame a hard shield bash which felt like a little tap.If you would like to put them on facebook page Allan, here is a link and I took the password off... http://photobucket.com/ChrisVS

Chris,

Your legs look great! I think I shall try that. Very sharp.

Todd
Quinn, Don't get me wrong, what Todd says is excactly how I think about it :)

I use a lot of second hand stuff myself and it comes out great when you have a tight budget.
Here are the updates to my armour: New couters and spaulders with besagews.

I'm still waiting for the vambraces to be finished.

Moved on from this:

The goal of these new arms is to give my armour a more indigenous flemish/low lands appearance.
Joe Fults wrote:
You know...I'd really like to see somebody in a full Merc Tailor kit for grins (or curiosity).

heh. I'm getting everything from him except for gauntlets and armet.. though it'll be a while before everything's done
this is a project in motion at the I am not wearing my chain mail as i am wearing an old gambeson, i am at present working on a new arming jack. But this is the first time i have tried to make a harness that involves plate.
[img][/img]

Attachment: 67.04 KB
[ Download ]
A 12th century Black Knight. It took a while to get to this point. Sorry about the modern stuff around, this was just a test fitting before I do some REAL pictures.

Attachment: 147.55 KB
The Black Knight.jpg

Ben,

Where did you get the coat?

[quote="Ben van Koert"]Here are the updates to my armour: New couters and spaulders with besagews.
It's called a brigandine. It's made by Steve Lunn, White Rose Apparel.

By the way, AWESOME kit Jeff! I've always wanted to do a 12th century impression. Yours really looks menacing. What kind of material is the surcoat made of? Hard to tell from this photo.
Where do all you guys get your plumes?
Ben van Koert wrote:

By the way, AWESOME kit Jeff! I've always wanted to do a 12th century impression. Yours really looks menacing. What kind of material is the surcoat made of? Hard to tell from this photo.

Thanks very much for the compliment. I appreciate it, especially from the people on this site, since so many of you are so knowlegeable in so many areas. I apologize for the poor photo quality. I will try to do better.
As for your question,the surcoat is black leather with a black cotton inner lining. I had it made by Pendragon costumes, with some modifications from their standard surcoat. It was sewn up all the way in front, from crotch to neck, with a small split at the back of the neck that laces up, with crotch-length splits front, back, and sides. the side areas from armpit to hips is laced together criss-cross style with thongs, and the edges of the surcoat is trimmed with a gold medieval-style floral patterened trim.
The lion on the chest is another story. I had it stitched up in silver thread by a top-notch Heraldry company in England (I am sorry but their name escapes me at the moment), and they stitched it onto a piece of black velvet material.They called it a "loose lion." I CAREFULLY cut it out and hand-sewed it onto the surcoat over many tiresome evenings. I was scared to death that it would unravel, since I trimmed it so close and it was so expensive, but it didn't. I guess I'm a better seamstress than I thought.;)
Your kit is also quite handsome. I REALLY like your plume as well. I would like to know where you get those too. Mine are standard ostrich plumes, but they look flimsy next to yours.
Ben van Koert wrote:

Is White Rose still in existance?

The web site that I have link for has been down for a long time.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Page 16 of 100

Jump to: