Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My thirteenth century Knight outfit. I am on the left (Black and White). Excuse the bad posing.

The set includes a coat of plate that is not visible here (though I am wearing it).

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good Happy

wich data do you guys train at the Muiderslot? Might want to come once to Happy
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every first Sunday of the Month.

Hope to see you there, Bart!

www.bruchius.com
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll proberbly be there the 3th of may, we have a wiskey night at the castle on the 2th so I guess I have to sleep there Wink

And to go ontopic: I really like you new (is it new?) tunic, good combination, the black and white with the rosets!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reinier van Noort wrote:
My thirteenth century Knight outfit. I am on the left (Black and White). Excuse the bad posing.

The set includes a coat of plate that is not visible here (though I am wearing it).

Very nice looking Reiner! I especially like the group shot and how everything is not clean and new looking.

Scott
Frank Mahoney

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:

I agree with Chuck on the whole daughter thing. I have two and plan on either cleaning my guns or sharpening swords when boys start to show up. While not short and built like a barrel I do not think I am big and mean looking either. I guess I had better start working on that. Sad

Scott

When my little sisters started dating my brothers and I would pull out piles of swords, axes, clubs, airsoft guns, bb guns, bows, and whatever else we had that looked intimidating, stack it all on the living room table, and casually take them apart, restore them, fiddle with them. It works.
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A.A. Boskaljon wrote:
I'll proberbly be there the 3th of may, we have a wiskey night at the castle on the 2th so I guess I have to sleep there Wink

And to go ontopic: I really like you new (is it new?) tunic, good combination, the black and white with the rosets!

Thanks! Unfortunately it now has a big slash along the front, as I had someone cut a hole in it while we were shooting our film (which is what we were busy with when the fotos were made). I will see you in May!

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Reinier van Noort wrote:

Very nice looking Reiner! I especially like the group shot and how everything is not clean and new looking.

Scott

Thanks for the compliments! I have tried to stay clean, but anything that comes into contact with any maille becomes black...

www.bruchius.com
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes i agree nice kit. The ren fest I go to near houston, there is always two guys wearing blairing shiiny armour. Their garments are spotless as well. I have seen them for year after year now and never any change. I cant stand a "white" knight, looks to crisp. keep it looking used and rough, Shows more character in my opinion.

On a side not are you going to sow up the slash in your tunic? Would be a neat touch to see some type of thick sowing method used to have a combat proven tunic.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks!

I might just fix it up like that Happy

It is likely gonna be a while before I find the time and energy to make a new one anyway!

www.bruchius.com
Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice kits guys !

I do have to say however, that there is nothing wrong with portraying the "white" period in high regalia. To be honest, its my favorite.

That is one issue I can never quite understand. The dislike of "shiney" armour on re-enactors. With all the pomp, circumstance, and fancy regalia in period art, I find it very difficult to believe that their armor was not polished to a very high quality for at the very least tournaments, parades, and official functions, if not actual war.

Look at all the effort from the white period onwards at decorative embellishments to armour and equipment. Is it reasonable to believe that they did not take the simple step of polishing their armor? Mild steel will still take a very high polish, if not quite as nice as stainless. Its just hard to maintain. But when you have "peons" to do that for you, you really don't care as long as you look nice, and it shows your station.

In the period art, its just impossible to show a highly polished finish or mirror finish. They make it silver. Just my opinon though, yours may very.

But I can appreciate the "realistic" gritty look as well.
Chris Boatcallie

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Chris Boatcallie wrote:
I absolutely love those viking pics, especially the Sutton Hoo. I just ordered the Hanwei Sutton Hoo helmet myself. That shield is awesome. The Valsgarde helms are also very dynamic.

Chris, is your armor made by Hanwei or is it custom?

Hey, sorry. I must have missed this post as it was short and there was so much other stuff around it. Sorry again.

The armor is not Hanwei. It is a custom Marutake Sangyo being sold through Samurai-Store. I bought one of their mid range sets and then had them customize it to what I was looking for in my armor. Hope that helps.
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:
Nice kits guys !

I do have to say however, that there is nothing wrong with portraying the "white" period in high regalia. To be honest, its my favorite.

That is one issue I can never quite understand. The dislike of "shiney" armour on re-enactors. With all the pomp, circumstance, and fancy regalia in period art, I find it very difficult to believe that their armor was not polished to a very high quality for at the very least tournaments, parades, and official functions, if not actual war.

Look at all the effort from the white period onwards at decorative embellishments to armour and equipment. Is it reasonable to believe that they did not take the simple step of polishing their armor? Mild steel will still take a very high polish, if not quite as nice as stainless. Its just hard to maintain. But when you have "peons" to do that for you, you really don't care as long as you look nice, and it shows your station.

In the period art, its just impossible to show a highly polished finish or mirror finish. They make it silver. Just my opinon though, yours may very.

But I can appreciate the "realistic" gritty look as well.

here's my theory about this one about how modern plate warriors think:

new armour= shiny
new armour= newby
newby=never seen any action
never seen any action= weak!

first dent= lost his "warrior virginity"
lost his "warrior virginity"= more experienced warrior
more experienced warrior= respect
respect=strong

or something like this:)
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
In the period art, its just impossible to show a highly polished finish or mirror finish. They make it silver.

Armour is depicted black as much as it is silver in 14th and 15th century military artwork. By way of example the pic on the home page of the Armour archive http://www.armourarchive.org/ the picture of the battle of Crecy from a late 15th century copy of the Crhonicles of Froissart on page 131 of A&A of the Medieval Knight, the late 15th century depiction of the Battle of Agincourt on pages 68 and 69 of an Historical Guide to arms and Armor, the painting of The Route of San Romano c.1450 from the same text depicts various harness in colors from nearly white to dark greys and blacks. I'll dig around for some more examples. I've always taken from this that there are a variety of finishes in use from black ( this may indicate rought from the hammer/black from the forge or blueing although I think the large quantities of armour portrayed as black in 14-15th century military artwork makes blueing unlikely ) to highly polished depending on the level of manufacture and the tastes of the user in the case of fine harness. When I had the Privilage of meeting David Edge of The Wallace Collection brielfy in 2004 we talked about his beliefe that much armour that today is bright and shiny has become that way over centuries of polishing to stave off rust and that it was originally black or dark. Theres a pretty good example of just how much polishing can remove in Resplendence of the Spanish Monarchy. The collection depicted was cataloged and documented in 1898 at which time pen and water color paintings of each itme were done. There is a sallet which at that time was deipicted with gold wash all the way around the bottom edge of the helmet as well as the finial ( I think it was a pomaganite or something) being completley covered in gold. The photograph of the helmet for the book as the item is now the gold around the bottom edge as well as the final are virtually gone after only 100 years.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 'Rout of San Romano' cycle of paintings is a good example of how tricky interpreting period artwork can be. The armour in the painting in the National Galleries is pretty black, but the armour was originally covered with silver foil and painted on with egg tempera paints. Over time, the egg tempera reacted chemically with the silver foil, darkening the living daylights out of it. The Paris panel has had some cleaning done to it, to try to get back to the original effect. You can read more about the 'Rout of San Romano' cycle of paintings in Chris Dobson's book, Art of War.
jamesarlen.com
Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan,

I agree with everything you have said. I guess my point was simply that just because armour has a shiney finish, doesn't mean it is unhistorical or not period. Again, my opinion only and not necessarily correct.

I apologize. I didn't mean to derail the thread.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doubtless much shiney armour today was not so in the past. But the reverse is also true: Oakeshott recounts in one book how he examined a dull-finished armour that had been scoured for years only to find that the untouched metal beneath the articulation was like a very hard mirror.

And James has the right of regarding artwork: it doesn't even need tempera to produce the effect. Silver foil is simply going to tarnish after 500 years and many manuscripts use just such a material for depicting swords and armour.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am sorry, i accidently forgot to mention that the armour on the two guys that wear it appears to be Alluminumn. I can appreciate shiny armour. Such as the afore mentioned of stainless steel armour or a constant polish. I would appreciate those qualities of shiny armour. The main issue I had was the aluminumn part. But If I see those guys this year I am gonna stop and ask them a few questions.
Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

some of my goodies. I've got a lot more in the wood works. trying to get a few more pieces here and there to finish them up better. all pictures are click able for larger versions. enjoy Happy

Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

damn chuck, i already thought that first serie of pictures was much but this=o
you have 13 costumes=o
that's a bad number, go make a 14th;)
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harness by Merc Tailor except for the riveted mail. Chest plate was in the shop keeping my helm company, Clamshell gaunlets were on the table.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 15 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: