Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next 
Matthew Meiser

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fisher Lobdell wrote:
I suggest a vest like porpoint to point the leg harness to. You wear this under whatever aketon or other padded garment under your mail or breast plate. You can see great videos of undergarments and armour in general on YouTube by Knyght Errant.
He also has a thread on this website in the spotlight topics about 'arming clothes', and Nice kit! Big Grin

Awesome thanks!
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With all the plate piece you have, you can get aay with just a pourpoint, leindeer, or aketon that fairly thin. Aviod polyester like the plague and look and make your arming clothes out of linen or cotton. In really hot days, soak your arming clothes in ice cold water and it'll help you stay cool as you sweat. Don't machince dry linen arming clothes or they could shrink and don't hang them up. Hanging them could strech the shoulders out. Help then in the dryest, cleanest room in your house, close the door to that room and run fans to dry them. also, depending on the coarseness and thickness of the clothes, you might to wash them with woolite on the delicate setting of your washing machince.
Matthew Meiser

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:
With all the plate piece you have, you can get aay with just a pourpoint, leindeer, or aketon that fairly thin. Aviod polyester like the plague and look and make your arming clothes out of linen or cotton. In really hot days, soak your arming clothes in ice cold water and it'll help you stay cool as you sweat. Don't machince dry linen arming clothes or they could shrink and don't hang them up. Hanging them could strech the shoulders out. Help then in the dryest, cleanest room in your house, close the door to that room and run fans to dry them. also, depending on the coarseness and thickness of the clothes, you might to wash them with woolite on the delicate setting of your washing machince.

Thanks for the reply! Do you know of anyone that makes those items? I have zero skills in altering clothes or making them :S.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For hot weather, linen cannot be beat; it is far better than cotton.
jamesarlen.com
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
For hot weather, linen cannot be beat; it is far better than cotton.

True, but not everyone has that kind of money, cotton is much cheaper and still works.
Alan E

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Knyght Errant covers a good few possibilities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1otNlYgX4eA
Member of Exiles Medieval Martial Arts.
Currently teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion
Fisher Lobdell

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:

What was I thinking? The "vest like one" only fits in the 15th century, And I now hate the idea. It is much more accurate(and convenient) to use just the porpoint/aketon (of Charles de blois pattern) with the legs pointed to it. That IS what Ian eventually changed to...

Did I already say I hated the vest?

"Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evedence of Absence." Ewart Oakeshotte.
Simon B.

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, I started piecing together a kit over five years ago. Then I moved and kind of dropped out of the whole SCA thing.

I started going to the local fighter practice for rapier (since it's the only fencing in the area) and decided to knock the rust off my armour and complete my half-finished arming doublet. There hasn't been enough local loner gear for me to fight cut and thrust or heavy in it. This weekend was the first event I made it to in five years, and I was able to borrow a couple pieces and fight a little for the first time.

I got a picture posing with my new Castille Armory arming sword. The arms, legs, and shoulders are mercenary's tailor pieces. I've got a borrowed pickle-barrel pair of plates on under the tabard. Everything else I'm wearing I hand-made. I'm shooting for late 14th-early 15th century.

Observations:
I made arming points out of hemp thread. One of the points holding up the leg harness snapped the first time I went to swing a sword. Maybe I had them under too much tension. Replace with paracord?

The schynbalds look cool but don't fit great. They seem kind of short and the demi-greave of the left cuisse kept slipping under the top of the right one. Not sure what I can do except strap it tighter around the top of the calf to keep it from slipping down and save up for cased greaves (and sabatons!).

Things I still need:
I don't have a helmet. I had bought one of those cheap GDFB klappvisor bascinets, but it'd need a lot of work to be made legal and I don't want to waste too much time polishing a turd.

I don't own any chest protection. I think my ideal would be a Corrazina with faulds. I might look into making a wisby-style COP out of kydex or something to start with.

I need gauntlets. Again I'm thinking of making a pair of demi-gauntlets, and then saving up for something nice and historical.

Things I want:
I really want cased greaves and sabatons.

Maille is low on the priority list but is a necessity for historical accuracy. If I can get torso protection with enough coverage I'll go separate sleeves/skirt to save weight.

Attachment: 188.7 KB
20170319_123243[1].jpg

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice looking kit, Simon! You're on the same track with me on the mail. Separate sleeves and skirt. Way to go! Wink I see no need for a bunch of mail underneath plate. Especially on Ren-fest armor, which my plate is. Have the look, save the weight...that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Wink Big Grin ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Kit update         Reply with quote

I haven't posted here in years. Perhaps an update is in order.

The present state of my kit:

Attachment: 103.31 KB
[ Download ]

Non Concedo
Elric Rabenfels

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My current kit, except that I have new, better arms now.

- What can change the nature of a man?
Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very classy! Exactly the kind of kit which I prefer aesthetically. Happy
Mike Zielinski

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello guys Happy It was a long time Happy here is mine current fighting late XV century kit (1470-1500).
I am waiting for glaive, and chainmail. Secound fighting set is with shord swis degen sword and oval shield.

And here is mine outfit from late 2nd to early 3rd century AD (Marcomanic Wars)
Przeworsk Culture (Eastern Germanic) whose are better known as the Wandals Happy

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16105579_1550699434943584_1352448588073693084_n.jpg?oh=f1b18144dd2e9e3c85e64b5d6e7a4122&oe=59895F0A

I hope You like these Wink

Attachment: 245.65 KB
[ Download ]

Stand your ground and fight,
Stand and do your best,
You must be hard as nails,
And kill with sword and hand,
So if you would be the hero
This is your chance.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a quick shot of my Scarborough Faire 2017 duds. Sorry for the big, grainy pic. Blush Pretty pathetic compared to most kits here in this thread, but I got a lot of compliments! Big Grin If I look like I'm in pain, you are correct. I forgot my Dr.Scholls! Laughing Out Loud Other than sore feet, I was quite comfortable. Happy I *almost* wore my maille underneath the plate, but I'm sho' nuff glad I didn't. Next year, I will forego the plate and wear the maille. Wink .....McM

Attachment: 240.45 KB
DSCN0172.JPG

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And....from the Middle Ages BEFORE they had color photography! Laughing Out Loud .....McM

Attachment: 176.29 KB
[ Download ]

Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You look good. I like that Sugarloaf.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Dean. Happy It's not a Sugarloaf...it's a flat-top...Crusader-style. Wink ....McM
Joshua McGee

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark C. Moore wrote:
Thank you, Dean. Happy It's not a Sugarloaf...it's a flat-top...Crusader-style. Wink ....McM

Either way that's a very nice helm!! I like it, i like it a lot.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! Happy I got it from Amazon. It's sold by a company called Ectoria. Never heard of them until recently. Pretty good helm for my purposes, but I did have to remove the liner and add my own padding. It was a little smaller than I had hoped, and my nose was squished up a bit. I re-padded the front and top, lined the whole thing with felt, and now it's fine. I can even wear my glasses under it. Big Grin They still sell 'em....$69.95 and free shipping! They are also on Ebay for the same price. Pretty sweet helm for the money! Wink .....McM

Attachment: 38.52 KB
WIN_20170429_07_30_13_Pro.jpg
Sorry for the crappy pic.

Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some Photos from the 2017 Florida Renaissance Festival where my group History of Chivalry (independant spinoff group of Adrian Empire members) does an armored submission fighting show where we fight to the yield. It's immensly fun to fight in front of crowds of hundreds.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 97 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: