Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Hello all
Long time reader, first time poster.
My Wife and I reenact Landsknecht, in the period 1500-1570 so a big period, with something for every one, our group, isnt that big, but we have fun :D

First a of picture of my soft kit.

The armour will follow when I get the helmet home :D

Most of the other reenactors dont want to fight us, because of our very scarce armour.

But Rome wasnt build in a day

Hope you like the pictures

Kasper from Denmark

I portray a Landsknecht Captain

"sorry about the spelling and typos"

Attachment: 196.28 KB
my softkit with my wife [ Download ]

Attachment: 191.48 KB
here I am in my Captains uniform, with my rote, an we going out to bash some peasent rebels heads in :D [ Download ]

Attachment: 234.68 KB
Here I command for the attack, Pikes at the ready [ Download ]
Kasper Lundholm wrote:
Hello all

Most of the other reenactors dont want to fight us, because of our very scarce armour.

Welcome to posting. :D :cool:

I'm guessing you mean that other reenactors don't want to fight you because your armour coverage is insufficient and they worry about doing your group some accidental injury or would have to be so careful that they would have to hold back considerably the force or speed of their attacks. :?:

In period low armour coverage could be an acceptable risk, because of not being able to afford more armour or preferring armour coverage limited to maybe a helm, chest and back plates with tassets with possibly some limited arm armour i.e. choosing mobility over coverage by not using leg armour.
Kasper Lundholm wrote:

"

My group has very minimal armor standards. We've been called crazy and a great many other names for that reason. We actually let people fight in just their gambesons and aming caps. My wife uses a leather jerkin for her only body defence. We feel that acurate representations should reflect that warriors rarely used the highest armor of their day. We have a lot of rules as to how our fights are conducted for safety, but our armor stops us from doing much with other troops.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Kasper Lundholm wrote:
Hello all

Welcome to posting. :D :cool:

I'm guessing you mean that other reenactors don't want to fight you because your armour coverage is insufficient and they worry about doing your group some accidental injury or would have to be so careful that they would have to hold back considerably the force or speed of their attacks. :?:

In period low armour coverage could be an acceptable risk, because of not being able to afford more armour or preferring armour coverage limited to maybe a helm, chest and back plates with tassets with possibly some limited arm armour i.e. choosing mobility over coverage by not using leg armour.

Of course I mean other reenactors because of our low armour coverage, but its in period for the Landsknecht, and you can easily fight a battle without armour, if you just agree on the stile and who wins
Justin Lee Hunt wrote:
Kasper Lundholm wrote:

"

My group has very minimal armor standards. We've been called crazy and a great many other names for that reason. We actually let people fight in just their gambesons and aming caps. My wife uses a leather jerkin for her only body defence. We feel that acurate representations should reflect that warriors rarely used the highest armor of their day. We have a lot of rules as to how our fights are conducted for safety, but our armor stops us from doing much with other troops.

If you just agree on some basic rules you can use that way to fight, most people have different fighting styles also, so you have to coordinate the fight anyway
Hello,
My name is Gleb Borysov, I am from Sevastopol (modern Ukraine). I'm in reenactment for about 5 years, for now in reenacting c. 1470 Itallian soldier. I am a leatherworker, so all the leather stuff in my kit is made by me.
At "war"
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
In civil life
[ Linked Image ]
and with my fiance
[ Linked Image ]
Nice kit Gleb.
I'm curious, do those glasses actually work, or are they just for looks?
Thanks Sam!
The glasses do actually work, yes. Though they are not for every-day use, cos they have no shakles. But while sitting or reading they work perfectly! Also I have made a leather shealth for my new glasses
[ Linked Image ]
This prevents glasses from damage while not wearing them :)
Gleb B. wrote:
Thanks Sam!
The glasses do actually work, yes. Though they are not for every-day use, cos they have no shakles. But while sitting or reading they work perfectly! Also I have made a leather shealth for my new glasses. This prevents glasses from damage while not wearing them :)

Awesome. I might have to get myself a pair as I whilst I can do most things without glasses, it'd be nice to be able to tell who's running at oneself with a halberd :lol:
My latest get up; 7th century Anglo Saxon. I made all the clothing, leather goods, the brass chapes on the straps, the buckle and buckle plate on the shield strap, the whole scabbard, and shield. The helmet belongs to Chuck Russell (he made it) but I added the hinges to hold on the cheek plates:

These images are from a demo at the National Geographic Museum in Washington DC from last Sunday. My wife and I participated in a demo in conjunction with the visiting Anglo Saxon Gold Hoard Exhibit.

First off: James, you are such an inspiration in that you are so hands on with the making of each of your kits.
Now that I am done fanboying, I notice a proliferation of clenched over nails in your shield's construction. Is there any reason you chose this instead of peening? Is that the method used in the finds? (I have never seen any documentation regarding the ratio of clenched to peened nails in Saxon shield construction, so I am sorry if it is a dumb question)
I have peening and clinched together but as to why the shield was made a number of years ago I do not recall why I went that way at the time. I know several viking era shields had cotter pins that are passed through and hammered down however not clinched; that may have been my inspiration. I recently added the shoulder strap and it is peened on the back with a steel washer.
This is my impression of a gunner from northern europe ca 1350-1400. The helmet is'nt mine though.
Photos: Peter Ahlqvist. Minor photoshopping: Fredrik Carrasco.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Swedish knekts always look good. Must be the snus that makes you focus so diligently on details ;-)
A quick first experiment in plate. The problems are obvious but it was somewhat rushed. Many lessons learned.

Attachment: 152.69 KB
plate.gif

Some nice kits you are all posting.

Sean,

Looks good!

I am planning on building a Coat of plates for my 5 year olds 6th birthday and maybe a bascinet. Still recovering from an injury but that is what I want to do. Have most a year so we will see.

RPM
Be sure to post it, Randall! I love this stuff!
Sean Flynt wrote:
A quick first experiment in plate. The problems are obvious but it was somewhat rushed. Many lessons learned.

Nice work and a lucky kid who has a parent who is still a kid at heart. ;) :D :cool: ( I mean that in the best possible way, because some people consider being mature as having to discard all of their passions for things not immediately material or practical ).

Now, will you have to make new plate armour at the same pace you have to buy larger shoes until he is fully grown ?. ;) :p :lol:
Light armoured Norweejun knecht mid 15th century. The PTSD stare is because I just ran 500 meters for the first time in 10 years ...

[ Linked Image ]
Awesome, Sir I like your kit. I love the deep kettle, and dig the gorget!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Page 61 of 100

Jump to: