Questions on Gothic Armour 15th c. style
hello everyone. this is my first post.. anyway, this was actually given to me by a friend who inherited it and knew i was into this kind of stuff. i was told that it is a victorian "gothic revival" copy. it has no markings as far as i can see. let me know what you think.

--marc

Attachment: 49.16 KB
armour 004.jpg

Attachment: 145.37 KB
[ Download ]
Victorian revival? I'd be surprised if it was that old. The peculiar shape of the pauldrons reminds me of someone's work, but I just can't bring up the name...
Is there any historical evidence of the gauntlet being attatched by a leather stripe like this?
James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
Victorian revival? I'd be surprised if it was that old. The peculiar shape of the pauldrons reminds me of someone's work, but I just can't bring up the name...

Schmidt?

:D
No Ivo, it certainly isn't Schmidt. !
Personally, I would reckon this armour to be no more than thirty years old, probably somwehat less. The work, as James has pointed out, is somewhat reminiscent of a couple of armourers that I could think of, so the problem is : which side of the big pond was it made ?
Most gothic gauntlets had a strap around the cuff like this one, but not with that metal retaining method. However, I have seen some reproductions with a leather loop version riveted on the vambrace.

All in all, it is an attractive display piece though, and it is a very nice thing to have :) I am just sorry that it isn't a real antique!

Regards as ever,

Rus
If Russ is right about the age of the armor, I would guess that it is some of "Karl of Germany's" early work. Something about the shape of the helmet. Sorry I can't remember Karl's real name.

Mac

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: