Conan Swords by Marto
So I've recently become interested in getting one of the original Conan swords used in the movies when I ran across the review posted for the one made by Albion. I really enjoyed the read, so I decided to stop by and ask some questions :-).

As I understand it, Albion no longer makes either the Atlantean nor the Father's sword anymore (much to my regret). I've found though that a person named Marto also made swords based on these two models. I was wondering whether anyone had any comments on this maker. Is he any good? Have you heard anything about him? Quality?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I want to make sure that I'm getting what I want. :-)
Marto is a large factory located in Spain that makes production swords, not an individual maker of custom swords.
Ah, thank you for the clarification :-). As to the quality of their work, would you say that they make good swords?

The reason I ask is because the price for the Atlantean sword is quite reduced from that of the Albion made swords (when they were in production), so I want to make sure that I'm not purchasing a cheaply made sword. Also, I noticed that there are no reviews of any of their work on site, so I was curious. :-)
If I understand correctly the Marto swords were / are stainless steel display pieces. Although one could argue that with the price tags and the significant weights that the Albion Swords had they are also in essence display pieces one could say that the Albion Swords are significantly more functional then the Marto pieces. You will not find any reviews of Marto swords here I suspect because in the main they are in fact meant for display purposes only and most of the folks that frequent this forum are more interested in functional swords. (i.e. swords that can be used as swords)
The Marto Atlantean was one of the first swords that I bought, before I'd ever heard of A&A or Patrick Barta etc. To my mind it does stand out from a lot of the cheap movie junk, to the degree that it is the only piece from that phase of my collection that I've still got. It is stainless steel and very heavy, but the detail is pretty good if you just want something to hang on the wall.
The Fathers sword on the other hand is not quite so good. The grip is wrong, as is the detail on the pommel. There is also an engraved section missing from the lower section of the blade. Having said all that, the skull and antler cross-guard is very good, especially considering the price.
So if you want something that looks good on the wall, I don't think these are too bad, but as has already been mentioned these are not functional swords.

Cheers,
Darrin.

Attachment: 85.94 KB
2007_11170002.JPG

Kult of Athena has both Albion swords listed in stock right now.
Both the father and atlantean.
That could assuage your disappointment!
Thanks for all the answers, guys. (especially about Kult of Athena).

If you don't mind my asking, Darrin; Did you get the Epic edition or the Special edition of the Father's sword?
Hello James.

I don't have the Father's sword, only the Atlantean, which is the standard edtion without the box. I have seen the Father's sword first hand though, and that was enough to get a good look at the details. And feel the weight :eek:

Cheers,
Darrin.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: