Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 18th cen. German/Hessian infantry sabre. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Tue 20 May, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: 18th cen. German/Hessian infantry sabre.         Reply with quote

This is a sword of mine that I have some questions about and I thought you fine folks might have some answers/surmises about.

1) Any chance that these repairs are period/historical? Many of the other hessian swords that I have seen have the crap beaten out of them from battle..

2) What are the Royal Sigil/initials "MK". Anyone know?

Attachment: 24.77 KB
hessian sword1.jpg

Attachment: 20.71 KB
hessian sword2.jpg

Attachment: 14.89 KB
hessian sword3.jpg

Attachment: 20.25 KB
hessian sword4.jpg

Attachment: 16.28 KB
hessian sword5.jpg

inkothemgard!
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found a very similar Royal cypher on a supposedly danish 18th cen. short sabre/hangar. Any cypher/monogram experts out there?

Attachment: 36 KB
danish cypher.jpg

inkothemgard!
Jim McDougall

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
I found a very similar Royal cypher on a supposedly danish 18th cen. short sabre/hangar. Any cypher/monogram experts out there?

Best resources for royal cyphers and regalia identification would be old coin references. I dont have any of mine handy so I cant check this one, but hopefully someone out there can.
Brian Nicholas

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: I think it is Bavarian         Reply with quote

Morgan,

I was just in wikipedia, and in keeping with your idea it was German, i thought it could be Bavarian rather than Prussian. Everybody seems tp think of Prussia as Germany, but really Germany was a loose Confederation of independent states of which Bavaria figured prominantly. So I looked up the Bavarian Kings, and there is a Maximillian I Joseph. I think the cypher is the German Language "Maximillian Joseph Koenig" Koenig being the German word for King, and spelled Konig (with 2 dots over the O which is translated and spelled OE). Wiki has a bio and pic of him and it also shows his royal arms. The Center Crown, bears a striking resemblence to the crowns on your saber. here is the link to the wikipedia listing for him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wappen_Deu...ses%29.jpg

The languettes which are diamond shaped have me abit confused, that seems to be a very Austro Hungarian thing, and you see them all the time on Hungarian Sabers. If it is Austrian, but I lean more toward Bavarian, then he royal cypher would be that of one of the Maria Theresas that were Empress. Tracking Austrian nobility is easy in the sense that they were all named Fanz somethingnorother or Maria Theresa , it's the Numbering that confuses me. If it is Austrian it most likely comes from the reign of Maria Theresa from 1745-1780.

I like the theory that it is Bavarian from the reign of Maximillian I Joseph best. The languettes thing can be explained by the fact that the Habsburgs of Austria bread like rabbits, and turn up in all the royal houses of europe as spouses etc. and one of them even became emperor of Maximilian I of Mexico who had a short lived reign that ended the way of a lot of Mexican/Latin American political regimes do, with a sever case of traumatic lead poisoning usually caused by a large caliber piece of lead being forcibly introduced into vital areas of the human body. A bavarian sword maker, or military person could have liked the look of the languettes on one of his Habsburg cousin's sabers.

Hope this helps

Best regards
Brian Nicholas

Have been collecting swords for 20 years. Have over a dozen historical and repro pieces.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 18th cen. German/Hessian infantry sabre.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic