Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword naming Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
One sword was baptized Ysgithr and the accompanying dagger Crafanc, basically a variation on the notion of tooth and nail or fang and claw. Cervenka etched them quite nicely. None of my others have names, hell I don't even remember the names their makers called them, I have to check their sites each time... except for the Schiavona, which I call the Schiavona, how could one call her anything else...didn't the Clash have a hit song by the same name ''My Schiavona''?

.. maybe The Knack ?
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZFwv7HLys
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Geoff. Knack it is. What a great sword song.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both of my swords are very dear to my heart so I've named them. My first sword which is a AT Lady Ash got the name of "Lady Helen" after my dearly departed dog.

My second AT sword was a second hand gift to which she was already named. I kept the name out of respect to the previous owner. Her name is "Sarah."

-"A woman's tongue is her sword, and she does not let it rust."
Proverb
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some documented Germanic/Viking sword names from the Saga'setc, you might like to consider

'Hviting' sword belonging to Bersi,
'Skofnung' sword taken from he grave mound of Hrolf Kraki by Skeggi.
'Gram' Odinn's sword used by the hero Sigmund.
'Legbiter', Magnus Barefoot's sword.
'Quernbiter', the sword of Olaf Trygveson
'Aettarttangi' meaning Sword of Generations, the hero Grettir the Strong's sword
'Hrunting' the sword belonging to Unforth and borrowed to Beowulf
'Fishback' belonging to King Magnus Erlingsson

Best

Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Here's my take on it.

Don't set out trying to give a sword a name. Some swords just don't deserve one. If the sword has a special meaning to you then give it a name. If not, don't force it. The sword won't be any better, and the name will probably sound corny. Make it something that has a meaning to you on a personal level, not some flowery sobriquet that sounds of if it came from the latest Dragonlance novel.

I've named two swords in my 20+ years of collecting. "Milestone" by Vince Evans and "Big Johnsson" by Peter Johnsson (Peter translated that for me into Swedish but I don't know how to spell it). Both names are straight and to the point , without being overly complicated and have significance.

I like that. I am of the same mind myself. And for any Viking sword traditionalist, its kind of the only way to go (unless its a magic sword). Legbiter wasnt named so for sport.

Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
I think that some weapons certainly deserve names, but the ones that do have a tendency to let you know that on their own...

I'm certainly open to naming all of the other swords that I have on my list, but they'll make do with their factory-given name until they show me that they need another one...

To just throw around those names in an age where these weapons will never see battle seems just a bit pretentious, but I'll make exceptions for those blades that have a bit of extra spirit...

I'm glad someone brought this thread back. It was a fun topic. I find that I need to update my previous post.

Back in October, my lovely Albion Munich was completed in all her Gothic glory. To date, I have not seen more than the initial few pictures, nor will I until I can go home on leave. However, when I opened the first picture and saw her for the first time, it was as if someone leaned close and whispered almost imperceptibly in my ear...

Nocturne.

I guess that meets my previously stated criteria. A nocturne is defined as a musical composition that is inspired by, or evocative of, the night. I was a very avid musician once, with a fondness for several classical forms, including that one. And the description can certainly be applied to the weapon as well as the music.

So my girl has a name. I don't know if all of my higher end swords will make it this easy for me, but I'm happy this one did.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

Arms & Armor Edward III Sword and the customized Black Prince are predictably "Father and Son"

Me too! My, how great minds think alike! Razz

My A&A Schloss Erbach had two names: The first was "ceiling fan's curse" but then there was the time when she got promoted to "the bane of Ted's chin." The latter was further validated by the 14 stitches under my bottom lip. This was about six or seven years ago.....

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah that's funny Edward!

I did the same thing to my chin- and the scar is unfortunately permanent.
On the subject though, I don't name any of my weapons- feels to D&D for me.
Jeremy
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: I dunno         Reply with quote

I have pondered this off/on over the years as well.......generally I consider sword names in the "don't ask don't tell category" but I don't know if its always overly melodramatic to name swords.............depends a bit on the context. for example, if you are a very dedicated martial artist who has 4,5,6 swords of the same type, then nicknames can have a real functional value vs............ foil1 foil2 foil3 etc. mental constructs such as names do have their place...........for example as a geologist what is to me "a pinnacle of tertiary volcanic basalt of the sanders mesa formation" is to most people "thumb butte". and honestly, if I needed to give someone directions I would tell them to look out for "thumb butte" not "the pinnacle of tertiary volcanic basalt of the sanders mesa formation".

btw, in violation of my "don't ask don't tell sword naming policy" I have the polar opposite sword to ceiling biter. its called "nick-a-brick". (I have a brick patio in the backyard).

postscript. there is one other very legitimate reason to name a sword imho, and that is when you have an antique with a specific provenance. for example, I have a wilkinson (#36011) that was initially bought and carried by Robert Francis Carnegie to the Boer War. so I think it is totally legit to call this sword the "RF Carnegie sword" rather than "Victorian baskethilt broadsword by Wilkinson number 36,011"
Virak Ung

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't name my swords anymore. I did name one early in my collecting days. It was a Bob Egnath katana that I had Fred Lohman mount. I went with the dragon theme. This was before I took lessons and all, and called it "Walking Dragon".

Now as I look back I kind of chuckle at the whole naming the sword thing. I mean to each his own, but for me personally, when I have company over, I tell people that this sword is an example of this era or that era. Just my thing you know.

Life is too short for drama

Virak
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jan, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an axe that could be called "chickenbane", but that would not seem very heroic... I do however call it "Knuffeltje" (cuddly) because I got it on my birthday during a canoetrip in sweden and was immediadely very fond of it (sought out every opportunity to use it).
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Sword gender         Reply with quote

I note that some of you have chosen female or vaguely feminine names for a favorite sword. What is the general view of the gender of swords? I see some items in my collection that definitely give off a feminine vibe, while others seem obviously butch and masculine. Plainly they are not all female, the way naval vessels are customarily viewed.

Is there a history in pre-Renaissance time of giving female names to swords used by men for serious military work? Does the naming pattern stem from the variations in use of gendered nouns from language to language, or is it independent of culture and linguistic bias? I know that a Schwert is neuter in German, but don't recall the gender of any other bladed weapons.
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The swords I have named are: a nice,sharp gothic arming sword called "Silver Wolf" a French infantry hanger called "Perseus" , and my 1818 Nathan Starr Cavalry sabre that I call "The Star Sword." Also I have an old CAS Iberia bastard sword from the early 90s that I call "Flash Gordon". I bought for myself after winning a Fencing tournemant as a lark and a pat on the back.
inkothemgard!
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Regent is named "Damn!" because that is the first word I uttered upon pulling it out of the shipping box and hefting it for the first time. To date this is the only sword I have bothered to name, because, let's face it, they simply won't respond no matter what you call them.

Last edited by Justin King on Mon 02 Jun, 2008 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My daughter named my Bastard Sword "Frank".
Don't ask me why, she just did. It's been "Frank" all this time. She was 15 when she named it, she's in her 30's now.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After much thought and many suggestions I named my Tinker Type XIV longsword "Schlawack". It's Swabian German for "Slut" since the sword gets many admiring glances and praise from others. ;-)
Kelly Powell

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry about the crude post.
I think naming a handcrafted ,unique weapon is very acceptable..by unique I mean not crafted in lots...albion has beautiful weapons but I would not name a sword that has 100 sisters.
Part of me thinks that it should only be the maker of the blade that gets to name it....if he/she thinks a blade has some defining character or feel that it warrants a name.
Now if others name your blade, that's just plain cool.
I have a rattan club I use for estrella war and hopefully one day against the tuchux at pennsic(I'm a Calontiri and there is a long history with us and the chux. Not bad blood per say,but definatley a willingness to go out of the way to fight each other)....Anyways the shortsword/club was christened "MULLETOR" after I got to bash a bunch of dudes in greco-mad max -gwar armor.....They had weird skull face plates and these huge freakin crests that allmost dragged the ground.....Which would be so cool to see how quikly a person would get slammed into the ground in real combat because they put a 4' leash on their helmet Razz
On the other hand....If you encounter someone who names a blade from a work of fiction(scalpel,graywand, whatever the hell moorcock's albinos sword was called,snaga...etc,etc ad nauseum) should be punished severley for having no originality....and no "dragonsbane" or "widow maker" or along those lines...played out.....
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword gender         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
I note that some of you have chosen female or vaguely feminine names for a favorite sword. What is the general view of the gender of swords? I see some items in my collection that definitely give off a feminine vibe, while others seem obviously butch and masculine. Plainly they are not all female, the way naval vessels are customarily viewed.

Is there a history in pre-Renaissance time of giving female names to swords used by men for serious military work? Does the naming pattern stem from the variations in use of gendered nouns from language to language, or is it independent of culture and linguistic bias? I know that a Schwert is neuter in German, but don't recall the gender of any other bladed weapons.

Well, in French, "épée" (sword) is feminine, and I know that the most well-known legendary swords had feminine names : Charlemagne's sword was supposed to be "Joyeuse" (feminine form of "joyeux", joyful), which is, I think, a pretty good name, not overly dramatic, quite beautiful, meaningful and... a bit scary (as in "joyful to take your life"). Roland's sword was "Durendal".

I had started to name my swords (and other bladed things) with feminine names taken from various mythologies, because I like to name things I have some bond with (which is why I started with naming computers... Razz ) and for reference purposes... But reading this thread has quite convinced me it was not a very original way, nor was it very adequate. I think I will wait a bit, try and find names that I feel fit them well, due to looks or to some event - I do like the "Nocturne" and "Snakebane" examples.

I do not feel much guilty about being a tad dramatic. After all, if I was a reasonable, fully grown-up and responsible citizen, I would not own sharp thingies or have any interest for such romantic things as the Middle Ages (or history, or literature for that matter). I like to be a bit eccentric. It's funnier that way. However, what are good points to me is lack of originality or adequateness. Naming a sword because you feel it should be called that way, with a beautiful, meaningful adjective like "Joyeuse" or "Nocturne" ; or because you have had a particular experience with it... That's a good way of naming them. But "Dragonsbane" or "Black Death"... No. Not ever ! Not only is it overly dramatic, it is, most importantly, the sword naming equivalent of "it was a dark and stormy night...".

P.S. : humorous names are great too, but I do not know if I'll have the heart to give such a name to my first Albion... Yes I know. I'm overly sentimental. Razz
Justin Kirck

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned so far three swords. Two of which were sharp. Of those three, I;ve only named one, my eljay basket hilted saber. I named it "An Stob", which means a thorn, and at the same time, a thrust or stab. It felt right. I rarely refer to it as an stob, but often as thorn.

I have my heart set on another longsword to buy, and I know the name I would choose if I got my dream sword (an Albion earl) which is odd. picking a name before the sword is in your hands. But my last longsword, even though it was my very first real sword, I never felt connected to to name. For me, naming isnt imbuing some sort of character to a cold piece of carefully formed minerals, it simply sets that particular blade aside in my mind as truly belonging to me, one that I would pick up without hesitation. I may own many basket hilts one day, but I only have one thorn.
Justin B.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got quite a kick out of this thread! I can't say that I'm overly worried about being accused to melodrama (folks say the same things about my penchant for wearing vintage suits, bow ties and fedoras just 'cuz), but at the same time, I can't say that I've ever really considered naming my sword (presently, I only own one that is qualified to bear such a classification, an Albion Gaddhjalt).

However...

Sam Barris wrote:
I think that some weapons certainly deserve names, but the ones that do have a tendency to let you know that on their own.

After reading the rest of this thread, and this post in particular, I have decided that, perhaps, my gaddhjalt is due a name. In a sidelong nod to Magnus Barelegs, it should be known henceforce as, how would it be... fótbitr.

Please don't ask Wink

PS~
Quote:
I haven't named my hunting shotgun, even though it's a very nice gun that I've had since I was sixteen. I just call it Fox, since that's it's model.

Couldn't pass this by. I hunt with a Winchester Model 12 named Meat-in-the-Pot, which my father bestowed on it years ago Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword naming
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: