Possible hand-sax prototype...?
A few months back Barry at CAS/H and I discussed the possibility of a new hand-sax for the Tinker Line. We agreed at that time that it would probably be a good thing to do but haven't discussed it since. After carefully studying photos of hand-saxes in a variety of museum collections across Europe I came up with this pattern. Here's your chance to comment before the piece is even approved for production!

[ Linked Image ]

OAL: 15-1/8 inches
Blade Length: 10 inches
Blade Width @ Base: 1-1/4 inches
Blade thickness at base: 1/4 inch
Hilt OAL: 5-1/8 inches
Handle Length: 4 inches
COG: 3/4 inch from base of blade
Weight: 14oz.
Blade is 5160 spring steel
Handle is Rhododendron wood
Furniture is mild steel

Notes: This knife is assembled with a recessed Allen nut- and thus the pommel is half-again as tall as it is supposed to be to mostly hide the nut. If there is a production version the pommel will be shorter (like the period pommel that it is based on) and the tang will be passed through the pommel and peened over.

Don't expect Rhod. wood on a production version- I used it because it looks and works like Boxwood, a traditional handle material.

This blade is only engraved on one side- the production knife (if any) would be engraved on both sides.

The motifs of the engraving are taken from an existing sax in a museum in France- except for the hound figure near the base of the blade; that's an original based on a border that is roughly contemporary to the knife. I still have trouble engraving long straight lines- this would be corrected on a production version!
For what it's worth, if the production version is faithful to your prototype, I would certainly buy it.

Was there some talk about doing a blunt version too ?
You need my help immediately
I have really pondered my reply to this, since the general milieu of the seax blade is critically important to me.

So after a lot of thought, I just have to be frank.

That blade is a tragedy. Your only solution, to avoid a lot of public embarrassment and scorn, is to mail it to me via overnight package service. I will personally guarantee that you suffer no public shame for making such a magnif-er... DETESTABLE blade. Really. Not ever.
I think it needs at least a minimal guard to prevent the user's hand from slipping forward during a stab. The blade sure is nice though, its just the handle that would make me a bit wary of using that knife.
Hello,

I think it looks great and would sell very well. There really isn't much in the way of nice quality versions of this knife around. Would it be offered with a scabbard/sheath? That would really enhance desirablity and hence sales, in my humble opinion. I know I would want one.

One question, I have always wondered about the metal bolsters (if that term is correct) at the guard and pommel. They always have a modern look to me, very often in many knive I see they are made of brass or nickel silver and are very shiny, adding to the modern look in my eyes.

Are these bolsters, especially at the guard, near the blade, historical? I have always wondered this. I guess I aways just pictured a plain carved wood handle or even antler handle with no bolsters. I welcome some education on this question.
Terry Crain wrote:

Are these bolsters, especially at the guard, near the blade, historical? I have always wondered this. I guess I aways just pictured a plain carved wood handle or even antler handle with no bolsters. I welcome some education on this question.

Yes, these are period. Remember though- saxes were every bit as varied as modern bowie knives; different styles of blades, different handles, guards, bolsters, shoulder bands, pommels or no pommels, all-organic hilts- these are all period-correct in various contexts. To some eyes this piece looks modern, but the features and their combination in this specific piece have historic precedent. This one probably does have a shinier finish than most knives of this sort did in period.
Not possible after all...
This one has been turned down, sadly, so we won't be seeing a production version of it any time soon. :(
Sorry to hear that man, It's a great looking knife. I'd have shelled out the dough to pick one up for sure. In fact where does the line form to pick up the prototype, if it'll be up for sale of course. :D
Mike Capanelli wrote:
Sorry to hear that man, It's a great looking knife. I'd have shelled out the dough to pick one up for sure. In fact where does the line form to pick up the prototype, if it'll be up for sale of course. :D

With you- PM pending.
It's tragic that the seax could not be produced on a mildly acceptable manner in the $100-$200 range. ;)
Michael Pearce wrote:
Terry Crain wrote:

Yes, these are period. Remember though- saxes were every bit as varied as modern bowie knives; different styles of blades, different handles, guards, bolsters, shoulder bands, pommels or no pommels, all-organic hilts- these are all period-correct in various contexts. To some eyes this piece looks modern, but the features and their combination in this specific piece have historic precedent. This one probably does have a shinier finish than most knives of this sort did in period.

In support of what Tinker said, take a look at the knife that is the subject of the following link and tell me what you think that it is.
http://www.arkansashistory.com/collections/de...&id=57

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: