Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Old Pistol, need help identifying, please Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jack Docy

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Old Pistol, need help identifying, please         Reply with quote

Hello,

Recently i enherited a pistol from my grandfather. sadly i have no idea about it and would like to find out more.

I have seached the markings on the internet and nothing has come up so any suggestions are welcome

The gun is a flint lock pistol with a brass finger guard and base and is made of a dark wood.

On the section with the flint lock either 'LOWES' or 'IOWES' is engraved and there is also a royal arms with GR engraved underneath.

there is a brass plate on the top of the handel which i think has the leters 'JR' engraved on it.

I will attatch a picture with all the different angles sorry for the bad graphics!! (i took them with a webcam)

Hope you can help, Thanks

Attachment: 20.64 KB
Picture 71.jpg
sorry about the blur

Attachment: 21.62 KB
Picture 72.jpg
sorry about the blur

Attachment: 19.28 KB
Picture 73.jpg
sorry about the blur

Attachment: 19.01 KB
Picture 74.jpg
sorry about the blur

Attachment: 19.46 KB
Picture 75.jpg
sorry about the blur

Attachment: 22.15 KB
Picture 76.jpg
sorry about the blur this is the Royal arms and GR

Attachment: 24.8 KB
Picture 77.jpg
sorry about the blur this is the lower / iower

JD, Live life on the edge!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know much about firearms, but I would guess that it says "TOWER", as in the Tower of London. GR is for Georgius Rex--King George (the Third in this case).

Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Hopkins on Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the engraving on the lock was "Tower" it should be pretty obvious. I am not aware of any contractor named Lowe who made British dragoon pistols in the 18th c. although there were many of them and I could certainly be wrong. The elimination of dates and contractor's names on lock plates began about the mid 1760s which would place this pistol later than that, if the lock is engraved with "Tower" and undated. If it is a contractor's name it predates that period.

That it is British there is no doubt, since it does have the Crown and GR engraved on the lock plate. It appears to be a dragoon pistol. The jaw screw looks a little strange, more Spanish than English, but the photos are too blurry to be able to tell much.

Also, and again clearer photos would help, that is one bright, shiny pistol for a 200 + year old firearm! So, either it has been cleaned, and possibly had much of its collector's value removed in the process, or it is not antique. If you can, please post some better photos.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Dave Calhoun

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Recommendations of a gun buff: take these pictures, and put them up over on http://www.thehighroad.org under the Blackpowder and Firearms Research forums. Someone there will probably be able to tell you exactly what it is.

Edit to add: It may well have come from Spain, if it is a replica. Spain took a huge role in the early blackpowder resurgence of the 70's; many of the replicas we have even today are made in Spain.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave Calhoun wrote:
Recommendations of a gun buff: take these pictures, and put them up over on http://www.thehighroad.org under the Blackpowder and Firearms Research forums. Someone there will probably be able to tell you exactly what it is.

Edit to add: It may well have come from Spain, if it is a replica. Spain took a huge role in the early blackpowder resurgence of the 70's; many of the replicas we have even today are made in Spain.

Better pictures are still needed, regardless of the source Jack decides to use. The photos are so blurred that detail is impossible to see and detail is necessary to get any kind of definite answer.

Jack, you will want to look for proof marks on the barrel of the gun, as well as the British "Broad Arrow" marking which is one way to identify a military piece. The broad arrow looks like, well, an arrow.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Old Pistol, need help identifying, please
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic