Bayerisches XVIIIb Details
I've seen the wonderful pommel photos of the famous Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIb (see below,) but I've never seen any equivalent images of the cross. The pommel appears to be selectively gilt. Does anybody know if that's true of the cross as well? If so, what parts of the cross are gilt? I'm toying with the idea of a blued and gilt hilt for an A&A Dürer, and would love to know more about historic decoration of this sword type.

Thanks!

Attachment: 43.68 KB
download-1.jpeg

Attachment: 42.07 KB
download-2.jpeg

Here is a pica from an old thread about this sword:

[ Linked Image ]
Here's a shot of the whole hilt, taken by our own Craig Peters I believe.
Dan

Attachment: 40.09 KB
[ Download ]
That's what I needed. Thanks, folks! Not sure why I didn't turn those up in the search that netted the pommel photos...

When this steel was new and polished, this decoration must have been very subtle.
Are my eyes going batty? On the pic I posted, it looks like the center facet of the guard is gilded. On the pic Dan posted, the center facet looks like steel, while the outer facets are gilded.
Chad Arnow wrote:
Are my eyes going batty? On the pic I posted, it looks like the center facet of the guard is gilded. On the pic Dan posted, the center facet looks like steel, while the outer facets are gilded.

I think you're right, Chad. Looking closer, I think we may be seeing both sides of the cross. Note the old accession number on the left quillon in the photo you posted.

Very interesting....
Hi, it looks like on one side there are two protuberances, any pics of that detail and why they are there?

Catch
Lawrence Parramore wrote:
Hi, it looks like on one side there are two protuberances, any pics of that detail and why they are there?

Catch

I wondered about that, too, then realized they're the display supports.
OMG, jokes on me LOL :lol:
Hi, one thing i would like to know, with a pommel like this do you think they drilled it rather than punched it, punching through a pommel like this is not easy and tends to deform the work , so how did they do it?

Catch
I've often wondered if part of the swordsmith's skill lay in calculating how much a pommel would deform during piercing and compensating for that in the initial shape of the pommel--say, vertically slightly oval instead of round if he wanted to end up with a round pommel.
Hey Guys...

Here is a closer view.

The really clear photo is by Craig Peters

ks

Attachment: 96.74 KB
WHL.J1.18a.Bastard.Bl91wt1470.(MunichSw).Cross.15th.BN.CraigPeters.jpg
Bayerisches Nationalmuseum, Munich
Detail of photo by Craig Peters

Wow the display supports are really clear on this one :lol: nice photo.

Sean,
Maybe they used a supporting form, but really i have done a few of these and it is a long way to punch through, I lost the end of a punch once too :mad: but there again I was doing it by myself, i suppose it would be a lot easier with two, one with a nice big sledge hammer :eek:

I guess I am getting a bit off topic.

Catch
I just remembered a similar sword in the Musée de l'Armée Paris. Photos by Manoucher M. The museum identifies this as French, but it is extremely similar to the sword in question here, even down to the gilding.

Attachment: 76.6 KB
Germanlongsword.jpeg

Attachment: 90.64 KB
Germanlongsword2.jpeg

Attachment: 86.63 KB
hilt.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: