Museums
From a preliminary search I can not see any forum on Museum. (If I am wrong please correct me). Basically I am interested if anyone has any information. I.e. name, location, collection descriptions of mediaeval period museums, or any museum that would house swords, armor, pole arms, ext.

Practically I am looking for anything in Euorpe as I will be heading there for a few of week soon.

So please feel free to add any Museums that might house interesting collection. Or any feed back on museums to skip.

Thanks,

J. S. Allen
J.S.,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. :) Our Features page has articles on 6 museums, mostly in the States at this point, though the UK's Wallace Collection is represented. Also, our Links page has links to many of the fine museums in Europe.

These forum threads talk about various museums and there are many more to be found with the forum search function:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8791
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=9368

There are also numerous photos in our Albums section, specifically the Museum Photographs gallery.

Happy hunting!
It may help to specify exactly where you may be headed, as even if there are not HUGE armour museums, most major cities have at least one or two smaller sections somewhere in the city.
If you're going to Copenhagen the National Museum is where you would go and also the Museum of arms and armour,called 'Tøjhusmuseet', it's location is not very far from the National Museum. Both are great exibitions.

cheers
Nicolai
See my Massive Museum Pic post here.

I missed a few (Wallace Collection) but the majority of them listed had major armor collections, as well as swords, polearms, and guns of all periods.

The Victoria and Albert Museum, unexpectedly (went there for clothing and stuff for the wife) had a large Japanese armor/weaponry display.

We were traveling for 19 days and for about 17.5 of them either in a castle or a museum the entire time.

If you have a specific time period I can recommend some of the ones we went to.
There are so many museums in Europe !

As a frenchman I suggest of course the Musée de l'Armée in Paris.
Closer to me is Musée Dobrée at Nantes which owns a large collection of weaponry (Collection R. de Rochebrune).
These 2 pictures are of Musée Dobrée.
Jean Le-Palud wrote:
There are so many museums in Europe !

As a frenchman I suggest of course the Musée de l'Armée in Paris.
Closer to me is Musée Dobrée at Nantes which owns a large collection of weaponry (Collection R. de Rochebrune).
These 2 pictures are of Musée Dobrée.

Those are awesome swords! Do you have any close ups? And any photos about those swords, what are reflected by the glass of the show-case in your first picture? Anyway it looks cool :cool:
Antal László wrote:

Do you have any close ups? And any photos about those swords, what are reflected by the glass of the show-case in your first picture? Anyway it looks cool :cool:

In fact I visited only a temporary exhibition showing weapons from bronze age up to viking period. I have not seen the whole collection so far.
I have lots of photos but it is not easy to attach many of them, so I choosed a few.
Two swords are from the reflected panel on the first picture. The spear head has an interesting inlay and wings of golden metal.
Interesting sword hilt too, and an "ingelrii" inlay clearly displayed.
Having been there, I can also recommend the Musee de l' Armee.

Even despising most forms of French government since his times, I payed my respects to the Emperor while I was there.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: