Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > any good medieval or fantasy dvds to watch? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoa! Did anyone mention The Thirteenth Warrior yet?

JSA
Stephen Pearson

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. The greatest "bad" movie of all time also happens to be a fantasy flick. (kind of...)

Yor, the Hunter from the Future

Internet Movie Database Link

Here's one review:
"Yor, Hunter From the Future easily falls into the "it's so bad it's good" category. I have never laughed so hard in my life at a film. No comedy has every produced the side-splitting, tear inducing laughter that Yor has. It's too bad this film was not intended as a comedy, but rather as a science fiction/ fantasy epic.

This movie just screams cheese. It features a story riddled with plot holes (caveman on a quest to find himself runs into a superior race of beings that want to kill him... but don't explain why); randomly occurring events (random laser fire demolishing cavemen villages); criminally bad dialogue; an 80's cheese rock score; horrendous special effects (lasers firing out of weapons at obviously wrong angles); and possibly one of the most ineffective movie villains of all time: THE OVERLORD.

It's so bad it has to be seen to be believed."

The only situation a commander can know fully is his own: his opponent's he can know only from unreliable intelligence.
Clausewitz, On War
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Viking Sagas! Oh, how easily I forgot that little gem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Pearson wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. The greatest "bad" movie of all time also happens to be a fantasy flick. (kind of...)

Yor, the Hunter from the Future

It's so bad it has to be seen to be believed."

Eek!
OMG!!!!! And just as I was thinking... well, hoping.... that I'd never see that name again... *shudders*

Easily the worst film I've ever seen.... and I'm fairly tolerant of "bad" movies!

My submission for a good "bad" sword movie: The Viking Queen, from Hammer Films. Basically the story of Boudicca's rebellion against the Romans, with the names changed to protect the innocent.... and a cheezy love story thrown in for who knows what reason....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How could you forget "Red Sonja", and what about "Beastmaster?" Big Grin
Patrick Jones

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
How could you forget "Red Sonja", and what about "Beastmaster?" Big Grin

QUITE easily! Laughing Out Loud

Pat
David McElrea

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mel Gibson's "Hamlet" if that hasn't been mentioned.

A movie I saw a long time ago bears mentioning-- although I will understand if you wince at the title. It is called "Revenge of the Barbarians" and is truly not as bad as it sounds. It is a Swedish film, made in Iceland set in the days of the Viking raids. One could say it has to do with sowing and reaping (not in an agricultural sense by any means).

Again, I hesitate to acclaim it too highly after so long a time, but I seem to remember being a bit impressed with the earthy realism of it-- costume, weapons (seax etc. more than swords). No idea if its on DVD or even available any more.

David
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Danish/Icelandic movie from the late 1960's, Hagbard and Signe -- just remembered it. It has a Romeo and Juliet style plot and is set in Iceland, I think. It has some fighting in it. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but back then I thought it was pretty good.
Michael L Smith

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This seems like as good a time as any to mention my wife's film fesitval. On Saturday, April 17, the 2nd Annual East Stroudsburg University Medieval Film Fesitval will strut its stuff. Five films will be shown so it is an all day affair. Coffee and doughnuts will be served at 8:30, lunch at 1:30, and a pizza dinner at 7:00.

Here's the film schedule:

9:00--13th Warrior
11:00--Excalibur
2:30--The Adventures of Robin Hood (with Errol Flynn, still the greatest of them all)
4:15--Braveheart
8:00--Becket

If anybody's in the East Stroudsburg, PA area, feel free to come by and catch one film or all five. All this entertainment and it's all free of charge. My wife will be the one in the wench outfit. We might even have some of our medieval swords on display as well.

Regards
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Good Sword Play Movies         Reply with quote

How about one of Ridley Scotts' best? "The Duelists" with Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel.
This one definately Buckels the Swash
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about Hrafninn flęgur- "When the Raven Flies " and Í skugga hrafnsins -"In the Shadow of the Raven "? Two films about life and, more predominantly, conflict on Viking age Iceland.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087432/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095346/

Hmm... Just noticed that someone had already mentioned the first one. Confused
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One I saw last week, good, but strange..starring Tim Roth and Gary Ouldman called "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead".

A wierd take on Hamlet.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
One I saw last week, good, but strange..starring Tim Roth and Gary Ouldman called "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead".

Yes, this is an Excellent movie.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
William Goodwin wrote:

Yes, this is an Excellent movie.

Also, check out Orlando and Lady Jane.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ROB ROY         Reply with quote

David Bromkovsky wrote:
Rob Roy is definately a must see. Two extremely good sword fighting scenes in which both the rapier and backsword are used. Not to complex move wise, but what do you expect from a movie?

"Rob Roy " was on cable last night, but I didn't see the listing until halfway through it. The last half was pretty spectacular. Interesting choreography for the big duel. It's always good to see a hard core badguy type like Tim Roth done in. I will definitely watch for it next time.
Johannes S.

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Joan of Arc

Excalibur

Rob Roy

A Knights Tale

DragonSlayer

Legend

The Lion in Winter

just to name a few

I second 'A Knights Tale'
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thread, I raise thee from the dead! [/me takes off necromancers hat]

I saw a great movie last weekend on TCM: "Knights of the Round Table" from 1953. I put it on expecting not much and intending to watch it with just half an eye, but this one really surprised me. Heroes wearing helmets, with face guards even. Real maille, not knitted wool painted silver. No SFX to speak of in those days, so when you see a couple hunderd knights on horses charging eachother, you really see that (impressive!). And then there's the sword fighting. It's hollywood-esque of course, but you see people halfswording and doing mortschlage and quite a few other techniques. I was really pleasantly surprised by it all. Much better than what you get these days.

The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
N Cioran

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lots of good choices there, and some incredible cheese!

I must say if you haven't seen a Knight's Tale, its one of the best medieval movies ever. While the costume, armour, and modern soundtrack put some off, it manages to several layers of medieval themes while still being rocking good fun, something that had eluded many other medieval movie makers...

Have fun!
Cole
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Seventh Seal.
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Thread, I raise thee from the dead! [/me takes off necromancers hat]

I saw a great movie last weekend on TCM: "Knights of the Round Table" from 1953. I put it on expecting not much and intending to watch it with just half an eye, but this one really surprised me. Heroes wearing helmets, with face guards even. Real maille, not knitted wool painted silver. No SFX to speak of in those days, so when you see a couple hunderd knights on horses charging eachother, you really see that (impressive!). And then there's the sword fighting. It's hollywood-esque of course, but you see people halfswording and doing mortschlage and quite a few other techniques. I was really pleasantly surprised by it all. Much better than what you get these days.

I think I will check out the local DVD place for this Classic film I probably saw as a very small kid but hasn't been on T.V. since the 1960's in all probability.

Another T.V. series to look at that is very very good:

The BORGIAS , not on DVD yet but one can watch for free here in Canada on the Bravo Channel and CTV on their on line videos ( Don't know if this works or is blocked for viewers in other countries ?

http://shows.ctv.ca/video.aspx

Scroll down to BRAVO and click on an episode of the BOGIAS ( At the moment, May 9 / 2011, the last 4 episodes seem to be available so one can catch up but the early episodes are no longer there ...... I'm sure these will eventually be available in a box set and the series has been picked up for a second season ).

There may certainly be some compression or distortions of real history but it's much closer than most even if there is some artistic licence for the sake of dramatic narrative. The sets costumes, armour and period politics seem authentic in spirit to the Italian Renaissance.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > any good medieval or fantasy dvds to watch?
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: