Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Quest for the Right sword... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 1796 Saber by Cold Steel is supposed to be a great sword for the price, I've heard. You may want to check that out.
www.addisondelisle.com
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
The 1796 Saber by Cold Steel is supposed to be a great sword for the price, I've heard. You may want to check that out.

Ditto here....although I've never had the pleasure of playing with one.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
P. Tuch

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've also heard very good things about the '96, but I have to say I'm curious about the other sabers they produce, as I can't find much about them.

Last edited by P. Tuch on Tue 29 Apr, 2008 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're interested in the '96...there's one in the Marketplace.
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...abre+saber
Dan
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I kinda like the windlass scottish cutlass. Looks nice and is a fairly nice and functional sword. I did find it a bit tip heavy for my tastes, but is accepable in that style of sword. The only thing is to get it from a good reputable place as the basket can have some cracks in it. If they pre-insepct the blade, even better.
Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
A couple of suggestions:

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword192.html A & A Town guard sword

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/rapier164.html Cavaliere rapier

Cut and thrust, complex hilt, medium sized.

Since period wasn't mentioned my suggestions are fairly arbitrary being a couple that I like.

Jean, do you have much experience with either of these swords?

I have always admired both, especially the Town Guard Sword.

I'm a big fan of Cut & Thrust swords (Schivanoa's, Mortuarys, Backswords, etc.) but they do not seem to generate much interest here or on other websites.

Any information would be much appreciated ! (I've seen the review here for the Cavaliere, but it is quite sparse compared to other reviews)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:
Quote:
A couple of suggestions:

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword192.html A & A Town guard sword

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/rapier164.html Cavaliere rapier

Cut and thrust, complex hilt, medium sized.

Since period wasn't mentioned my suggestions are fairly arbitrary being a couple that I like.

Jean, do you have much experience with either of these swords?

I have always admired both, especially the Town Guard Sword.

I'm a big fan of Cut & Thrust swords (Schivanoa's, Mortuarys, Backswords, etc.) but they do not seem to generate much interest here or on other websites.

Any information would be much appreciated ! (I've seen the review here for the Cavaliere, but it is quite sparse compared to other reviews)

No first hand experience with either but I have a Cavaliere on order with A & A but a friend of mine on these Forums, Gordon Frye, has the Dresden rapier that has an even bigger blade:
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/rapier121.html

He might be able to give you some first hand experience about that one. ( Maybe you can P.M. him if he doesn't notice this post in a few days ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: The Quest for the Right Sword...         Reply with quote

Do you like this Hungarian Aristocrat's Sabre, Tuch? What do you think?
http://thetf.net/uploads/maverick09/2008-05-03_173854_suc82aa.jpg
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suppose many of us have gone through the 'looking for the perfect sword' thing, in different forms, but has anyone out there really fulfilled that wish? I mean, where you find that sword and 5 years later it's still 'perfect'? I do have one all-time favorite, but I wouldn't say it was perfect. But to change the parts that are not perfect, I would have to loose other things that I like.

Seems to me that its a quest that never ends...one seems to find the perfect sword but then the novelty wears off, or one's taste changes over time, or maybe it gets some physical wear, and pretty soon you're looking for the perfect sword again. Not that there's anything wrong with that...it's human nature and that's what keeps collecting interesting.

But I guess my point is (if there is one) that one should not get too stressed out about finding that perfect sword. Just enjoy the hunt. There's lots of good suggestions above.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Seems to me that its a quest that never ends...one seems to find the perfect sword but then the novelty wears off, or one's taste changes over time, or maybe it gets some physical wear, and pretty soon you're looking for the perfect sword again. Not that there's anything wrong with that...it's human nature and that's what keeps collecting interesting.

But I guess my point is (if there is one) that one should not get too stressed out about finding that perfect sword. Just enjoy the hunt. There's lots of good suggestions above.

J.D. hits it right on the head for me. For me, collecting is a process, an evolution. A sword might be the perfect one for a time, or for a particular purpose, but eventually I still am looking for the next thing. It doesn't mean that the previous purchases were bad; they filled certain needs at certain times. For me, the journey and the learning make the next purchase so exciting.

So buy what you think is the right or perfect sword right now and enjoy it. But don't be surprised if you feel the itch for the next sword. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
P. Tuch

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To JD and Chad,
You make an excellent point, and a very pragmatic one at that. Unfortunately I have a very limited budget so hoarding swords (as much as I'd love to be able to), is not a possibilty, so I must think carefully before I buy anything.

To Shahril,
It is beautiful. A bit ornate for my tastes, but beautiful, nonetheless.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Tuch wrote:
To JD and Chad,
You make an excellent point, and a very pragmatic one at that. Unfortunately I have a very limited budget so hoarding swords (as much as I'd love to be able to), is not a possibilty, so I must think carefully before I buy anything.

I'm not a hoarder and I'm on a very limited budget, too. I have to sell one thing to buy the next, and I do think carefully before I buy. I'm not made of money. Happy

However...

I think by looking for "the right" sword in this purchase, you're 1) putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get the purchase right and 2) you're discounting your own future growth and learning that may lead you to another purchase.

Swords I thought very carefully about and saved up my pennies to buy and were the "right one" at the time have turned out to no longer be the right one as I've learned more; they've moved out of the collection. To assume your purchase will always be the "right sword" means you may never grow in knowledge or experience beyond this purchase.

By all means, buy what you feel is the "right sword". But understand that the "right sword" is the "right sword" for right now. Your needs and preferences (and hopefully budget) will almost change over the months and years. That's okay. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 04 May, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P.T., I completely understand your budget limitations and your desire to get this right. What we're saying is that even if you had an unlimited budget it's unlikely that you would find the one 'perfect' sword. If you set such high expectations, you will very likely end up being disappointed when you finally make your choice. Good luck...let us know what you get. -JD
P. Tuch

PostPosted: Sun 04 May, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Everrybody, for all of your great advice. I will take into account everything you all have said. For now I will let this topic fall into obscurity. When I finally make my choice, I will let you all know, as well as post a review.

Thaks All,
Paul

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Quest for the Right sword...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: