Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Khyber Knives Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread was perhaps lost in time but I had very much enjoyed Sean sharing the picture at the start of this thread and many have wondered about a nicely done new one. I know I can't be the only one to have been watching this develop. Over the last season or so, Windlass had released one regarded as a Chary. Dang, it even looks pretty nice and the spine dimension mentioned on KOA seems almost hopeful.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~5012...Charay.htm

Listed as backordered, that is probably the case via MRL and AC as well. The KOA price looks good enough to be quite tempting but alas, not to be had for Christmas it seems.

So anyway, with the batch sold out; Has anyone bought one and have some impressions?

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 169.54 KB
Chary.jpg
stock Windlass image of the Chary Model # 501216
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That one caught my eye, too. It looks like a good candidate for somebody's workbench (mine is overflowing).
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's an interesting subject. Me and a friend recently discussed how various families of knives turn into swords at some point - messers, khybers, dao, etc.

Shayan G wrote:
Looks like a khyber knife to me, down to the imitation koftgari on the blade. The only difference would be the tulwar-like handguard.

Very appealing blade all around!

Apparently they come with knucklebows as well. Here's a "typical type of sword as used by Afghanistan tribesmen":

So far the closest real-life equivalent of Tristan's sword I've seen. (Which, by the way, I believe looked more slender in the movie then Hanwei's interpretation, but I may misremember.)

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Jeffery Thorpe

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New guy here. Found this site while searching for information on some swords I picked up at a bazaar outside Kabul for cheap and just thought I would add pics of these Kyber knives to this thread. They have the T backed spines that taper to a point....I was surprised at the balance, they fell very good in the hand and lively as described in a previous post.....assume the leather of the scabbards can't be original, condition is too good.

Attachment: 147.33 KB
Afghan Swords - 1.jpg

Attachment: 120.45 KB
Afghan swords - 5.jpg

Attachment: 110.11 KB
Afghan swords - 3.jpg

Attachment: 129.52 KB
Afgghan swords - 2.jpg

E Sideris

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys,

After seeing one of these knives under the label "karud" at Higgins Armory in Worcester, MA, my heart was stolen and my interest captured. The subtle curvature is maddeningly seductive and the fascinating T-section invokes a sense of lethal solidarity.

I'm wondering what method was used to forge such a cross-section. Was the cross-section formed from a thick triangle-section blank by grinding or shaving with a draw knife, or was the blade forged that way?

Here is one of the few custom reproductions I can find by a smith named Hill Pearce. I can't find a website of his or any way to ask him.

Close-up of the cross-section:

Thanks for your input!

Elias
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try searching "Hill Pearce knives" on Google. Apparently he's from Alabama and retired from the knife making business around 1990. He made custom blackpowder rifles before the knives. Really unfortunate that he's not doing it any more. The guy clearly had/has incredible talent.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Khyber Knives
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: