Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Barding for horse legs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Helge B.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Barding for horse legs         Reply with quote

I once read somewhere that there were bardings made of articulated plates which also protected the horse legs. I never found any pictures or other sources though with more details.

Does anyone know if this armour really existed? I would consider this to impede the movement of the horse pretty much.

How else one could protect this vulnerable part of the horse?
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never heard of that, nor have I seen any examples.

As for protecting the horses legs, a skirting is all I've ever seen for that.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the most detailed reference to such armour which I've come across.
Quote:
"A German picture of Maximilian of Austria's armourer, the Harnischmeister Albrecht, painted in 1480, depicts a horse in complete plate armour that even includes its legs. These are encased in articulated pieces, of whihcone cuissard, either from this or a similar armour, has survived to the present dayto prove that the whole thing was not an invention on part of the artist. "

Ian Heath, Armies of the Middle Ages, vol. 1, page 155
Helge B.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel,

do yo have picture of that painting/sketch, which you can post?
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, a few such complete horse armours were made. Unfortunately, only a few odd parts have survived. The best known were made by Lorenz Helmschmid, the maker of the famous 'Sigismund gothic' armour in Vienna; I think the first was the one he made for Emperor Frederick III in 1477. It seems to have enclosed the underside of the girth and abdomen as well as the legs. Hmm, there's a piece of one in the Army Museum in Brussels, if I remember correctly, now where did I put that picture...
jamesarlen.com
M. Eversberg II

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would explain why I've never seen them, then Razz

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Felix Kunze

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Helge,
I found some pictures of the horse armor mentioned by D. Staberg. They are shown in an article of the `Zeitschrift fuer historische Waffen- und Kostuemkunde, 1962-63`. Unfortunately, only one part of this cuirass, which was worn by the horse of emperor Maximilian I on parade (it is mentioned by chroncles on several occasions), may have survived, but nothing of the belly or leg pieces.
The armor was made and delivered in 1480 by Lorenz Helmschmidt and is said to have been the first of itīs kind, so there may also exist later examples.
There are three exististing contemporary illustrations, here are two of them:

Attachment: 121.48 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 117.64 KB
[ Download ]
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is not simple to protect the horses' legs. Even nowadays protection on the lower legs is a mixed blessing that is better avoided if not absolutely necessary.
Steel protection on the legs will hamper the horse and the weight will SEVERELY deminish athletic performance.

It would prevent a horse from a decent galop and also tire a horse going faster than a leisure pace out in yards rather tan miles Laughing Out Loud

Since roman times there was an effective countermeasure against cavalry known: guaranteed instantly cripling 'crows feet' (calthorpe?). Those are four nails sticking out from a common centre so there will always be one nail pointing upwards when strewn around.
I have no idea how common their use was nor wether they were common over the centuries and it may haven been one off those things 'not done' within the ritualised european feudal warring.

So: in jousts it was very bad form to aim at the horse and in war it would not make a lot of sense. I guess it was a parade outfit only.

peter
William Knight

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm reluctant to say things are for parade only just because they seem extravagant an impractical to us, particularly since I don't know of any modern efforts to reproduce such armor and thus evaluate it. As to the ritual nature of medieval warfare, this had all fallen by the wayside by the latter 15th century, so I doubt that enters into the use of caltrops or targeting horses in general.

There are the surviving equine cuisses in Brussels, of course.

Also the Triumph of Maximilian woodcut series shows several horses with the upper portion of their front legs armoured.

-Wilhelm
Kenneth Scott

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How much fighting would a King or Emperor actually do anyways? Confused If you figure its not going to be galloping into the enemy, might be a nice insurance policy if you just trotting around telling people what to do.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the battle of Regensburg (September, 1504) , Emperor Maximilian I attacked a wagonburg and was dragged off his horse by enemy pole arms. He was saved by the commander of his heavy cavalry. I expect his excellent armour had much to do with his survival as well.
jamesarlen.com
Scott Eschenbrenner

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As expensive as horses are, and were, I still do not think it would have been that practical to completely armour them. As Peter points out, it would have severely hampered their mobility. An armored rider, saddle, and partial barding would have slowed a horse down enough as it is, and tired it more quickly. On campaign you might have to switch horses if one gets killed or dies of disease, so it would be impractical to have an armour fitted exactly for one specific horse.

I often see reference to the common formula that a horse can carry about 25% of its weight. I'm sure that varies with the breed, its conditioning, and exactly how much speed and endurance you expect it to maintain while carrying that weight. For most breeds you're already getting close to that limit with the rider and his armour plus the war saddle and limited barding.

That leads me to think that horse leg armour would be strictly for parades.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Eschenbrenner wrote:
I often see reference to the common formula that a horse can carry about 25% of its weight.

Whatever the load, weigth or type of horse, ANY weight, even horse shoes, added to the extremities of the horses' legs ' weighs' a factor the sqaire root of four times the road speed: the hoof alternately travels at between twice the road speed (both horizontally and aprox. vertically!) and zero and has to be accellated and breaked each movement cycle of that hoof.
This why horses' legs have evolved into absolute minimalism of parts and the musles up as high as possible where the extra leg travel is least.
This is why the modern hoofshoes are such a heavy physical load on a horse asked speed even though they seem to weigh so little in respect to the weight of the horse.
This is why racing horses are shod with ultra light, ultra thin duralmin.

Wether a horse would be more effectively armoured and how much or not is a question of weighing off benefit and cost. Although examples of extensive armouring exist this did have serious disadvantages apart from the monetary investment.

My personal opinion is that 'true' cavalry is a very flexible light mounted rider. The hun were basically mounted artillery, the armoured knight basically living storm rams and the musketeers mounted infantery Wink
Please note I do not comment in any way of the undoubted value of these forms of mounted warfare. It is just my highly prejudiced perception of horse RIDING Laughing Out Loud
My opinion is that armour and the essence of horse riding as I experience that are contadictory Idea

Back on topic it seems obvious that armouring horse legs carries a VERY high price in the mobility and speed of the horse which are the reasons for mounting a horse in the first place.

peter
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Barding of the legs might be something one might see on a parade armour or just for the the same reasons that some very impractical combinations weapons were made as exercises in technical weapon design wizardry: Toys for the very rich and powerful.

As Peter has said the weight would slow down and tire a horse quickly.

As far as armour coverage: Barding protecting the head and body of the horse but leaving only the legs exposed should be the most amount of armour that would be useful. The legs are also a small target in rapid motion and would be hard to hit on purpose when the horse is charging.

A sweeping lateral cut with a long bladed polearm/bill would have more chance of making contact than trusts with pikes or missile fire ( musket ball or arrows ).

Barding in the form of plates or lesser horse armour based on maille or maille and small plates would also be a problem for the horse in hot weather I would imagine ? Heat stroke maybe ?

Just guessing here but would Knight/Gendarmes use an un-barded riding horse ( Maybe war trained but more agile than a charger ?) for general combats and manoeuvre and keep a fully armoured horse rested and fresh and use it only for a heavy charge or when charging seemed imminent ? Assuming that the logistics of this would be practical on a battlefield ?

I assume that the management of spare horses with different qualities and training/equipment on the battlefield would be an art in itself: At least the very rich elite might have numerous horses available to them depending on what was needed at a specific time and as replacements for wounded or tired horses. ( This might vary greatly by period, region and tactical systems ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There definitely does exist plate armour that is shaped and articulated to fit the horse's upper and lower legs. IMO this was never meant to be worn in battle but was to demonstrate the skill of the armourer. Don't forget that each craftsman was required to produce a masterpiece to complete his training. This could be one such example. I'll try and find pictures.
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello folks,

An interesting and quite unusual thread !

Dan, you say that there "definitely does exist plate armour that is shaped and articulated to fit the horse's upper and lower legs", where please? I only know of the Brussels items, OTTOMH, and have never actually seen a picture of these , other than the drawing in C.J.Ffoulkes' 1912 book ' The Armourer and his Craft '. ( If anybody knows of actual photographs of these pieces I would love to see them too please !).
While I agree with you about them probably only being worn for parade use, for what my opinion is worth Confused Laughing Out Loud , and the requirement for making an item of each piece of armour , prior to being declared a master, is well documented; (see M. Pfaffenbichlers 'Armourers' book ), I have not heard of this requirement extending to horse armour as well ? Now here is an interesting topic for some in depth research !
Besides Lorenz Helmschmeid , Kunz Lochner is also know to have made these bards. There are a few shown on coins and medals if I recall correctly, lending weight to the theory that they were mostly for parade use. They would certainly have stretched the abilities and inventiveness of even the finest armourers; Greaves are probalbly the most difficult item to make, imagine having to make four of pairs of them ! Worried

Thanks for an interesting topic Happy

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Scott Eschenbrenner

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:

My personal opinion is that 'true' cavalry is a very flexible light mounted rider. The hun were basically mounted artillery, the armoured knight basically living storm rams and the musketeers mounted infantery Wink
Please note I do not comment in any way of the undoubted value of these forms of mounted warfare. It is just my highly prejudiced perception of horse RIDING Laughing Out Loud
My opinion is that armour and the essence of horse riding as I experience that are contadictory Idea

Back on topic it seems obvious that armouring horse legs carries a VERY high price in the mobility and speed of the horse which are the reasons for mounting a horse in the first place.

Peter,

Excellent points regarding the speed of travel of a horse's leg. For the same reason, in marching with a rucksack it is often said that an extra pound on your feet is like five extra pounds on your back. And shoes for racing are made as light as possible, etc.

Your opinion on "true" cavalry is intriguing. I don't agree with the semantics right away, although I think I understand what you're getting at, and in any case you have much more experience on horseback than I. But maybe this could start off a new discussion, bringing in those who have ridden in armour for extensive periods. Some of the questions to consider: How much extra weight does it take to seriously effect a horse's speed and endurance? Is there an ideal load that would balance performance and protection? I think we have terms like "heavy" and "light" for a reason; they are all cavalry, and though you clearly see the greatest benefit in light cavalry, your use of the term would exclude a majority of mounted warriors from membership. And the only "cavalry" remaining today evolved from heavy cavalry. Wink
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And the only "cavalry" remaining today evolved from heavy cavalry. Wink

Not necessarily. Judging by weight, maybe yes. But judging by role, modern Armored Cav is pretty much light cavalry--mostly meant for scouting, screening, and harassment rather than charging straight into the enemy (which would be the job of "Armor" without the "ed Cavalry"). And of course we have Airmobile Cavalry, which is frequently (and I think not incorrectly) stated to be the closest thing that a fully mechanized army has to classic light cavalry....

(Note that my preferred definition of "light" cavalry may differ from most people's, especially Peter's; I put the dividing line between "light" and "heavy" strictly on role, usually without regard to equipment.)
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your opinion on "true" cavalry is intriguing.

It is very simple but GETS complicated.
The reason man ever mounted a horse is the extra mobility: human brainpowerd horsepower = the centaur. You can read my website to get the idea a bit.
Anything restricting mobility is contrary to the starting point.

In war the horse is a mighty versatile tool that can fulfill a multitude of roles BESIDES the max. mobilty of the centaur. This is in ni way any less. It may vary in the mounted component and even mounted infantry that uses the horse like a personl carrier is still mounted.
Yes it is semantic wether you call the use of a personel carrier, a mobile platform for artillery or a storm ram cavalry if it involves a horse. It is not all that important other than becoming aware of the differences and to become aware of horse specific properties that are compromised or exploited to the max in therir respective roles.

Even present day modern armies stiil use the horse. US army had special light units go into Tora Bora on horseback. Mounted infantry realy.
In several regions in Africa the horse is still a warriors tool and exclusively light cavalry: used for bandit raids just like it was 3000 years ago in asia and what revolutionised the north american plains indian way of life. It is more versatile than the universal pick-up truck since it does not need roads.

peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
[(Note that my preferred definition of "light" cavalry may differ from most people's, especially Peter's; I put the dividing line between "light" and "heavy" strictly on role, usually without regard to equipment.)

Well Lafayette, if there is no horse, it is not cavalry.....

The english language area is the only in which a ' knight' is not synonimous with a mounted person. It's root is the germanic 'knegt' or ' knecht' which means a servitude.

The word cavalry has the word for horse as root. Translated it means horsery. In germanic it used to be ' ruiterij' or ' reiterei' and similar. It only assimilated the latin base for SOME words when french became the court language during the medieval period.
A knight is still a ridder or a ritter in germanic speaking europe.
The horse is the crucial element and no horse = no cavalry Idea

The erosion of the role of the horse as a personel carrier, shooting platform or storm ram is an erosion of ' cavalry' and ends with taking it out altogether.

Yes it is semantics wether the only 'true' cavalry is that which exploits the qualities of the horse best but it is not semantics that non mounted is not cavalry as the word MEANS mounted on horseback just like a motorist is somebody who motors.

The best example of TRUELY light cavalry making optimum use of the qualities of the horse one needs to look at the numidian cavalry. The mamelukes give time compromised optimum examples in their furusiya manuals.
On YouTube you can find the archetypical cavalry on video by seaching for 'cirit' or ' cirid'. The numidian to turkoman cavalries frozen in a game.

peter

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Barding for horse legs
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: