Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele A. Pini wrote:
An interesting topic, to say the leasty, maybe a little of colour for a serious site like myArmoury (or as serious as a beginner like me know it), but interesting.

Please note this thread is very, very old (5 years old and counting) and dates from the earlier days of myArmoury. Though it keeps getting resurrected, it should be pretty obvious it's not our standard discussion fare these days. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Please note this thread is very, very old (5 years old and counting)

Hmm, the thread that wouldn't die... Eek!
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
It's absolutely amazing how a two year-old thread can be resussitated after such a long time on here. WTF?! Razz

It's absolutely amazing how a five year-old thread can be resussitated after such a long time on here. WTF?! Razz

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Should I throw in a reply or shouldn't I?... Too late, I did:

For the first one I would probably pick a katana or wakashi. Not the best swords around, but I have low physical strength and both have short blades and long two-handed hilts.

As for what I would actually use from my collection, I would try to use all of them as the situation suited. However, since I can't carry them all, I guess I would put Old Whippy, my Windlass Baron's Sword across my back and my Windlass Five-Lobed Viking Sword on my hip. Possibly just Whippy if I mean to be trekking through large open areas and don't really need a shorter blade for cramped conditions. Dagger and throwing knives scattered on body wherever they fit. Dad's kevlar vest on torso, denim jacket and leather gloves for what little protection they provide, possibly some make-shift leather/cloth bracers if I really expect sword-play, and of course, to top it all off, I absolutely have to have my cowboy hat. Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't mind this thread too much, and it can be fun but the unfortunate mention of " Zombies " in one of the earlier posts seems to be the thing that won't die ! Also, the title of the thing is what sword or maybe polearm one would take into battle, and I assume mostly this would mean in fantasy if one had a time machine to go back in period or just what one would have confidence in battle if one was of a specific time period in history when a sword was a common weapon !

The zombie thing was O.K. for a few posts but it seems that people who trip upon this old Topic always seem to think it's ALL about zombies ........ Cry

Oh, and now I've done it too by mentioning zombies in this post one too many times I'm probably making it worse !

Anyway, injecting a little humour into this post ! ( I hope ). Just don't take this topic too seriously and avoid it if it is getting on your nerves by not keeping it going ( Not following my own advice here. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J. Ven

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Falchion would be pretty good, for cutting power, particularly ones that taper to a point.

YET

In terms of effectiveness as an overall sword, the 1912 Pattern British Cavalry Officer's Sword is a fantastic all-rounder in terms of function, and doesn't require the training or movement that a katana does.

If the Colonials amongst us wish for something a little meater and home-grown for them, then why not go for the Model 1913 Cavalry Sabre AKA the "Patton Sabre", which is heavily designed on the 1912 and 1908 British versions.

Above all, its a bloody civilised and gentlemanly sword to use. Happy

And let's face it. If you're going to be stuck in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, you'd do well to go out with finesse and decorum. Wink

God Wills It!
G. Bezanson

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I don't mind this thread too much, and it can be fun but the unfortunate mention of " Zombies " in one of the earlier posts

I believe the zombie scenario was braught up in the very first post, even if the word itself wasn't used, what else should we call the undead?

I do understand your point though. Zombies are a little silly, or we, at least, are silly when we mention them so frequently. You just have remember that it's all for fun and completely hypothetical.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will skip the zombies. Happy If I were in a real battle, I would trust my life to Del Tin St. Maurice. Nothing like the solid feel it offers. And brazil nut pommel is surprisingly comfortable to me when partially griped with the second hand. Of the swords I don't have, maybe Albion Crecy and Solingen, Both very universal swords I would say. I won't mention polearms and that stuff, I think this topic is not about them.
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen-I'd sticl with a Gladius and pugio. Light,easy to carry,;ong record of usefulness,and very usefull at close quarters when scavagening
Ja68ms
Nicholas Allan Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jul, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I after reading some of the replies I wanted to post my choice.

I would choose a tactical gladius by gage custom knives:

]http://www.gagecustomknives.com/Tac%20Gladius.jpg

At 1 lb 1lb. 10 oz this sword seems to be a logical choice in an apocalyptic scenario where carrying a plethora of other gear would be necessary . And since it is not mounted with any organic-based fittings like leather or wood, durability and longevity of the weapon would be increased.

~nic
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if the Army would allow you to take one of those into combat. If it's MOLLE compatible. I know some guys have taken tactical tomahawks and knives, but I think a tactical gladius would be totally awesome!!!!
L. Clayton Parker

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach Gordon wrote:
I wonder if the Army would allow you to take one of those into combat. If it's MOLLE compatible. I know some guys have taken tactical tomahawks and knives, but I think a tactical gladius would be totally awesome!!!!

I have been out a long time, but during Vietnam there were lots of non-issue weapons carried by soldiers. In most cases because their NCOs and/or COs simply decided it was more prudent to ignore it. I am not sure that in today's military one could get away with any such item as a line (infantry) troop.

While not a true sword, I have a tactical machete that looks like an Wakazashi that I was going to say would be at the top of my list. For many of the same reasons quoted for the Tactical Gladius above. But after seeing the gladius....I think I would take it instead. Like many here, neither of these would be my only carry. A long knife ( http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=KH2092 ), several throwing knives ( http://www.coldsteel.com/shanghaishadow.html ) and definitely a compound bow and lots of arrows. ( I know, he said swords Big Grin )

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh, because of fear in the night. -The Song of Songs, Which Is Solomon's

Last edited by L. Clayton Parker on Sun 05 Jul, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Allan Wilson wrote:
Sorry for the thread necromancy but I after reading some of the replies I wanted to post my choice.

I would choose a tactical gladius by gage custom knives:

]http://www.gagecustomknives.com/Tac%20Gladius.jpg

At 1 lb 1lb. 10 oz this sword seems to be a logical choice in an apocalyptic scenario where carrying a plethora of other gear would be necessary . And since it is not mounted with any organic-based fittings like leather or wood, durability and longevity of the weapon would be increased.

~nic

Here is a photo of that John Gage tactical gladius. It looks like a very useful little sword, though I think my ATrim Tac Cuttoe could do just as good a job.

Attachment: 88.2 KB
Tac20Gladius.jpg

Nicholas Allan Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, the A Trim line would have been my next choice. The short sword looks effective. But the tactical gladius looks to be very sturdy, especially the sword's tip.

Do you know what the A Trim grip scales are made of btw?

~nic
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Allan Wilson wrote:

Do you know what the A Trim grip scales are made of btw?

~nic

The scales on most of them (including my cuttoe) are micarta. There may have been a few that used some other substance. The later ones substituted some kind of cord wrapping for the micarta.

Unfortunately, they aren't being made anymore. Maybe you can find one in the classifieds. I'm sure not selling mine

Attachment: 25.22 KB
cuttoe600w.jpg
ATrim Tac Cuttoe
Nicholas Allan Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you know the weight of your cuttoe? the weight listed is '1 lb (TBA)'.

The reason I ask is that my selection in a sword in this hypothetical situation would be largely based on weight.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have a scales handy. it definitely weighs more than 1 lb. I'd guess it is somewhere around 2 lbs. - maybe a few ounces more than that. It isn't a dainty sword, The backsword blade starts out at .250" thick. It has some blade presence, but handles quite well.
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

albion's Tritonia is the best zombie killer around hands down I await the apocalypse of 2012! lol Laughing Out Loud Though seriously if I had to I'd use the tritonia in a medieval crusades era setting. Just my half cent.
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle
Page 11 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: