Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next 
Simon Van Der Spoel

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Battle Sword         Reply with quote

Being post apocalypse, and every man for himself, I'd have a gladius strapped to my side for short confined stabbing ability, and a 1796 pattern saber for pure hack and slash, mounted and unmounted indescreet interventions. By the time ammo stockpiles run low, if we are that far in the future, a long bow and arrows would become the norm for ranged attack...definitely a hodge podge warrior ha!
Creator of the History Channel Documentary: "Spitfire Guardians"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLyNZgA0_iM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTIFoQ1m2LM

Director: "Mounted Steel" Jousting Documentary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIqrkN29HVQ
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmm.... an interesting hypothetical situation.

If it were a short duration apocalypse (e.g. "Sean of the Dead" or "Live Free or Die Hard"), I think my .357 Mag and a my Albion Mercenary should handle things well.

If it's more permanent, I would move to a friend's farm with the aforementioned equipment. Once the modern ammo ran out I'd switch to these, a cutlass, a flintlock rifle, and my working knives (bowie, hunting folder, etc.). Mostly I'd try to stay out of trouble to avoid needing all this stuff.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Adam H.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I had a choice, it would be The Master Sword, crafted by Jerry Bennett.

Quote:
Final specs;

Total weight, 3 pounds, 5 oz. A little more heavy than I wanted, but reasonable for a "real" sword.

POB, 5 1/2" from cross guard.

Total length, 36" even.

Blade steel, 5160, marquenched.

Cross guard, 7075 T-6 aluminum.

Pommel, 4340H steel

Gems, Amber from the Baltics

Composite, leather wrap handle, with wooden core, stabilized with Frankincense.

More pics:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=80573

The making of:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=50444

That would be my first choice... but in reality, I would just grab my machete.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Swords You'd Take Into Battle         Reply with quote

I also rely on a metal breastplate (perhaps a lighter one) à la Robert Downey, Jr.'s Iron Man to defend myself from enemy attacks besides from my Hussar sabre.
Tony Drake

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me as a Citizen Soldier a trusty Gladivs Big Grin But if I was in the Auxillary wing I would use my Falx Big Grin

Regards Tony Big Grin

Woe Ye The Vanquished
Brennvs 390BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
Caratacvs
Laurie W
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being the wife of a historical weapons smith, I have my pick.

Already have a viking period sword, small handaxe, a viking short sax (14 inch blade), several smaller knives. These and a nice spear that will serve as a walking staff as well.

A few modern and blackpowder weapons too, but if the ammo runs out....they are only good as a small or large "club" (until you find more ammo) There is something to be said about have "Pointy objects" in a survival situation. Crossbows are nice, if you have one and the same with a regular bow. Nothing against modern compound bows with all their gears....but "KISS" is always a good watchword.

Laurie Wise-Fraser FSA Scot.

Kirby Wise-Fraser FSA Scot.& Son
Arms and Armour
Nicholas A. Gaese

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a fun thread and i have seen it pop up now and then over the years so now i think ill finally chime in Happy

In a scenario like this one, i would most likely use what i had available at the time so i might pick out my laminated wood bow as my main weapon and either my machete or a regular hammer as a side arm. hammers make nasty weapons and if you flip it you get an improvised pick-like end to deal with both armor and skulls alike. i also have an antique middle eastern cavalry saber (exact provenance unknown), a smaller, single hand version of a type 20 (don't know how to do numerals) with longer fullers and parallel edges and an "H" shapped faux buffalo horn hilt and lastly an Indian Tulwar thats had the s--t beaten out of it. all three are good looking swords but their hilts are loose and not in the best condition so the aforementioned choices of sidearms might be preferred. And lastly top it off with my WW2 German Bowie when the going gets tough.

That would be my choices of arms say i had to pick out what i had at home but if I had the luxury of choosing my arms from an alternate source, well......

I would so pick out the Albion Maximilian just for my love of two handed swords! A monster cutting blade that i can half sword if i needed to( though would be a challenge to do so with such a wide blade) and as a side arm I would take either a Persian Shamshir or an Indian Tulwar. to me they are very elegant cutting swords and ive gotten quite used to the greater curvature of those types of blades, not to mention they're useful in even the tightest of places. If i also got to choose another knife type also than id pick either the custom messer that was floating around here a while ago, or a good sized Afghan Kyber knife Big Grin [/i]

Attachment: 46.71 KB
th custom messer [ Download ]
G. E. James

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe a francesca axe or similar weapon would be the way to go, you would have a powerfull and durable weapon, whilst also having the advantage of being able to strike from a distance with devastating results.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the current economic apocalypse I picture the Zombies as re-animated traders streaming out of Wall street to infect the entire world...

I have to agree with folks who chose falchions. Mine is far from one of my favorite pieces, but in terms of packing a wallop for its size and practicality - not to mention doubling as a camp tool and machete - its hard to imagine anything better.
Hunter B.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if it happened today I'd have a cutdown cold steel pole axe, a nice Cold Steel Magnum Kukri for some close in cutting, a Merc Tailor buckler I picked up 2nd hand, and Gerber LMF II for camp chores.

That's just what's in the closet. Still haven't gotten around to buying a sword yet, haven't decided on what "style" really suites me best. That's strictly sticking with sharp pointy things though.

“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
G. Bezanson

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

with all the people talking about getting guns the answer is obvious: get a howitzer.

More in line with the topic, a polearm of some sort would definately be a great choice, ( especially against those pesky cavalry - zombies) giving you the ability to keep the enemy at bay.

For a sword my viking sword made by the darksword armory would be a great cutter, another great cutter would be a good falx.

If one had a mind to go for a higher range, and didn't have the post apocolyptic luxury of owning the aforementioned howitzer, i would imagine it would be possible to make a brutal arbalest out of a leafspring.
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The likelihood of any of us being thrust into combat limited only to edged weapons fighting against similarly edged-weapon-limited human opponents is about the same as the likelihood of a nuclear zombie apocalypse, which is to say just about zero. In defense of all the previous zombie comments I find the latter scenario less distasteful, further removed from reality, and more lighthearted.

I'd have to go with the Albion Dane because if you can't look good wielding a sword, what's the point? It's rugged, plenty of reach, elegant, according to Peter a no-nonsense battlefield tool. The only question in my mind is whether or not the one I ordered will arrive before the impending nuclear-biological-economic zombiepocalypse.
Anthony Riopel

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd bring a sling...

Cause every one knows there will be a LOT of ammo in the apocalyptic world for a sling Big Grin

And on top of that, a nice sax for the camp and dirty work.
With a longer cut and thrust bladed sword at my side. Sorry I can't say specifics, don't own any sax's or swords yet...

I'd also have a medium sized shield.

Be wary the wrath of a patient man.
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as what I own now -
An A&A Burgundian Pollaxe, a sling, a multi-tool, a few Benchmades and a Wayne Goddard short fixed blade.

In "ideal" circumstances-
All of the above, plus a longsword and either a small hand-axe (tomahawk) or an A&A warhammer.[/url]
James R. Smith

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me, a heavy rapier. I'd like to keep as much distance between me and my foe as possible. God knows haw many weird diseases people in the future will have, I mean one scratch and 12 hours later your a zombie. As for a knife, a good Mullins made dagger. Oh yea, and crate of hand granades.
Gold God and Glory!
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I were against zombies, I would want my best slasher, my Windlass American Revolution sabre, which I fixed up and is now excellent. A couple of secondary blades I would take would be my greek xiphos, and my 1860 naval cutlass. My GDFB halberd would also be nice. For a knife or dagger I would have my kindjal and my bayonet. Some light armour would be good against zombies, say a maile hauberk and a small cuirass. Maybe a few flintlock pistols as well. I think that would do it for a good arsenal?
Nathan.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I had to hack my way through a flock of zombies, I can't think of a better tool than a type XIII - not a XIIIa or XIIIb, but a plain old XIII. I think Peter Johnsson once described this type as a battlefield version of an executioner's sword. We all know that the best way to deal with a zombie is to behead it, so this is obviously the best sword for the job.

Attachment: 47.39 KB
XIII3.jpg
ATrim Makers Mark Triple-fullered XIII
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that while all of you are hacking and slashing away, I'd take my 1860 pattern cutlass, raid the navy's armory down the street, then take my boat, and sit in the ocean. with my fishing pole of course. should I need other foods / clothes / medical supplies, I can always sneak in and do some pilfering on whatever coast I'm nearest... or I could hide in cleveland.
"Whoever desires peace, let him prepare for war."
-Vegetius
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Scott Moore wrote:
I think that while all of you are hacking and slashing away, I'd take my 1860 pattern cutlass, raid the navy's armory down the street, then take my boat, and sit in the ocean. with my fishing pole of course. should I need other foods / clothes / medical supplies, I can always sneak in and do some pilfering on whatever coast I'm nearest... or I could hide in cleveland.

And risk getting attacked by the Zombiefish? You are a brave man indeed...

Last edited by Nat Lamb on Fri 10 Apr, 2009 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An interesting topic, to say the leasty, maybe a little of colour for a serious site like myArmoury (or as serious as a beginner like me know it), but interesting.

If I have to choose a sword, I stick to a falchion, maybe without crossguard (I don't think to do some serious sparring in the wastelands) that can be a multiuse-tool. Mine would be ok, I think (a regular machete pointed a grounded a bit). Or a 12th century sword, but here I'm biased.

More probably I would prefer an axe, which is easier to maintain and repair, and not so difficult to replace. If I could find a francisca or similia... A polearm, or a quarterstaff with an edge, and a utility knife.

Another possibility is a staff-sling with a pointy end: a weapon astorical that someone suggested on a site, with a great range (and you can lob even granates) and not to difficult to master.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle
Page 10 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: