Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > First look- CAS/Hanwei Viking sword prototype Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
There is a photo of a similar pommel in Swords of the Viking Age, so there is precedence.

Thanks, I see it on page 49. It's not one of the swords profiled in detail, but the hilt photo is clear enough and strongly resembles the sword pictured above. The text implies that this sword was found together with another one at the National Museum at Copenhagen, so presumably this sword is also in Copenhagen?
Hugh Fuller

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is very nice, Tinker, very, very nice. Now, if only Hanwei will stay true to the course that you have set.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Hugh- If the work that they've done on the longswords is any indication I think that we have cause to be optimisitic!
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Colin Price

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword! How would this compare with the Practical Viking model preformance wise? I'm part of a living history group that does live steel fighting and we have broken two swords already this past year and are looking for something heartier.
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colin Price wrote:
Beautiful sword! How would this compare with the Practical Viking model preformance wise? I'm part of a living history group that does live steel fighting and we have broken two swords already this past year and are looking for something heartier.

I can only speculate at this point how much better this one might be, but the heat-treatment should be a great deal better than we have seen in the past. Certainly the heat treat of the longsword prototype produced by CAS was excellent! There is also no welding on the tang, which I know has been a problem on some CAS/H swords. It has to be said though- while these swords will probably a great improvement they will also be significantly more expensive. I should have photos of the purpose-built blunt posted later today.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

see if you can get them to keep the two peice pommel as that is something that is more historical and something i dont like about the MRL. VERY NICE!!!! I cannot think of to many examples with such an accute point.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Here's the 'Blunt'         Reply with quote

Just like the 'Sharp' the 'Blunt' will be assembled with the tang peened over the pommel.

In other swords in this series the blunt has been made to weigh and handle as much like the 'sharp' version as possible, with appearance running a distant second to the desired performance. With this Viking sword I've departed from that theme for the blunt; in this case the blunt was designed primarily to meet the 'safety' requirements of re-enactment groups that we believe will be the primary market for the blunt version of this sword.

These requirements call for a 2mm rounded edge, a very rounded point and the best 'historical appearance' obtainable within these limits while still remaining in the weight and balance range for period swords of this type. As such the 'blunt' prototype is a full two ounces heavier- the only way to meet the design requirements without increasing weight was to shorten the blade to an unacceptable degree but at 2lbs10oz the sword is still well within the historic range. The other alteration was a change in the balance of the sword- the COG has been moved from 4-1/2 inches to 5-1/2 inches- less 'handy' but still well within the historic range. Careful distribution of the mass of the blade has allowed these changes without interfering with the Node Location, so even this altered version won't transmit unpleasant shocks to the user's hand.

I had to ship this right off, so I wasn't able to get precise dimensions for the 'blunt' blade, but the photo above gives a pretty clear idea of what it would look like mounted.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
B. Pogue
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Blunt mock-up         Reply with quote

To clarify, a quick photoshop mock-up of the blunt:

Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Blake!
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
What are the tangs like on the Hanwei viking swords? I had a Cromwell,from them ,and the tang was very unsubstantial.
If the tangs are as hefty as your`s ,or an ATrim or Albion,I will definitly get one.They look great!

Thanks
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The tangs of the new viking sword will be very substantial, much like the ones shown above only not tapered to a thread as the production swords will have a peened tang. There will be no welds on the tang and the tang will be hardened and then the temper will be drawn back to the 30's Rockwell for durability.
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
Is the CAS/Hanwei ,Trondhiem,one of your`s allso?

Thanks
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No- So far I've done prototypes for a longsword, a bastardsword, a medieval single-hand sword and this Viking era sword. The production version of the longsword should be arriving next month or so, but none of the other swords have reached production yet.
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
B. Pogue
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an update to show off more photos, I will let them speak for themselves.

Sharp first;

B. Pogue
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And now the blunt / reenactor;

Luka Borscak

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just looked a bit through my Records of the medieval sword, and there are quite a few swords that have a fuller that begins below the cross, so it shouldn't be a big problem even if you don't change it...
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems like the blunt could be a really fine stage combat sword - light, strong, and durable. It looks good close up, and more importantly, looks good from a distance.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I just looked a bit through my Records of the medieval sword, and there are quite a few swords that have a fuller that begins below the cross, so it shouldn't be a big problem even if you don't change it...

I think it depends on the type. Which ones were you looking at?

From memory, I don't recall any Viking blades in Ian Pierce's book that show an abrupt visible fuller termination (although I can think of at least one that showed a gradual shallowing toward the guard).

Just to be fair..this is hobby nit-picking. Overall, that sword is bloody awesome.
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Except from that fuller-not-ending-under-the-guard issue, both versions look really great. The proportions, details, etc, are all good. Better than similar offering from other companies in the same (expected) price range.
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simply for aesthetic reasons, I'd prefer the fuller to end under the guard but this isn't a necessity.

While not an expert on Viking blades I'm not sure where the idea came from that the fuller needs to end under the guard. I don't believe that the termination of the fuller at the hilt is even taken up in Geibig's classification system, nor can I tell from just looking at the photos from my copy of "Swords of the Viking Age" whether or not all of the fullers in the book do terminate under the guard. Some of the swords are so corroded it really is impossible to tell. Plus I'm sure the swords in Ian Peirce's book represent only a small sample of surviving Viking era swords. Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean that it didn't happen or wasn't made that way. For instance Geibig type 1 blades " . . . often lack a fuller and have flat faces (p.21, SotVA)". All of the type 1 blades in Peirce's book have fullers.

Like I said, I too prefer a fuller to end under the guard but that isn't a make or break option for me. . . especially at this price level.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > First look- CAS/Hanwei Viking sword prototype
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: