Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Spadroon arrives! Happy day! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really would like to get a spadroon with a solid varient grip. I tried for a few that didnt have the folding guard. Maybe a should keep an eye for NCO spadroons. I also like the plain wood grip. I almost wish mind didnt have the foil.
The illustrations are very similar on both those blades. I wouldnt be suprised if they came from the same cutler. I also think its possiblle that that sword was being "marketed" to a cavalry officer. The length of a blade isnt really the issue. Its more like 60 spadroon blades are illustrated with different braches of the service, to attract an officer in that branch to maybe buy them. Also that guard does seem more like a horsemans guard. But more importantly.......................................
Who wouldn't want to own "The Dragoon Spadroon" ?!?!

inkothemgard!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand, Glen. I just wanted to point out that it is not a horseman’s sword, just in case someone visited the auction and took the dealer’s description at face value. Happy

Jonathan
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan,
By "marketed" do you mean by the original sword cutler or the current seller? If you mean the former, I think a cuter would have had a hard time selling a spadroon to a cavalry officer for anything other than dress.

Jonathan
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm forgetting the exact context and neglected to save the image but another blade was under discussion that had an Athena figural engraving and I raised the same thought about maybe engraved at the same shop. With what was going on the length of cutler's row in Birmingham and elsewhere, it is really hard to say, as so many hands may have been involved, Certainly of a same or similar general pattern book, as it were. My GR and crown are a bit more fluid than that engraving but still otherwise quite like it.

Salter has a plain Jane and I have seen others out there sitting at dealers. for fairly short dough. Even Michael D Long has had some at prices that have beat the realized auction prices hands down.

Cheers

GC
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan,
Financial enterprise does breed creativity. No harm in trying every variation. If the "Epee Anglaise" is a popular trend during a wartime patriotic period why not make them as attractive to as many buyers as possible? Its easy to switch out a hilt and see what sells. I take it into account that swords weren't bought just for there practical worth only, but as items also of recreational purchase. Male jewlery, especially if your a gentleman. More than one sword, why not? And your guess of it being used as a possible macho dress sword for cavalry officer is a good one!

inkothemgard!
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This isnt a Spadroon but it is the british fighting officers sword I would love to have. Its from the 7 years war and has a double edged rapier blade and a solid bilobate guard. I like the rough wood grip! Man O man!
inkothemgard!
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This isnt a Spadroon but it is the british fighting officers sword I would love to have. Its from the 7 years war and has a double edged rapier blade and a solid bilobate guard. I like the rough wood grip! Man O man! From the Lanes Armory of course. These pics gave me real trouble!

Attachment: 136.13 KB
brit sword 2-1.jpg

Attachment: 26.01 KB
brit sword 3-2.jpg

Attachment: 12.01 KB
brit sword 1-2.jpg

inkothemgard!
D Critchley

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
I understand, Glen. I just wanted to point out that it is not a horseman’s sword, just in case someone visited the auction and took the dealer’s description at face value. Happy

Jonathan

The figure in the engraving is wearing a light cavalry "Tarleton " helmet Jonathan, but I agree, they were worn by light infantry prior to 1800 too.

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are there any examples of double edged Spadroons? Wikipedia makes mention of that, but I've never seen any myself.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Myles Mulkey wrote:
Are there any examples of double edged Spadroons? Wikipedia makes mention of that, but I've never seen any myself.

Hi Myles,

I think I had posted up the following example in the past as a true double edge on a hilt that is quite spadroon like. A good many that do mentioned as spadroons have a sharp back edge for several edges, some nearly half the back edge. IIRC, the 18th century British heavy cavalry dress swords are typically a slim fullered double edge on what looks much the same as the 1796 (folded guards and not) infantry spadroons.

As well as that example, I have an 1860s American militia type that is quite like the other 1840 nco civil war example that is sharp back to the fuller end. Also another unknown shortie that similarly has several inches of sharp back edge. As well, I have an earlier long one that has a sharp back egde, more prominent than some of my English types (however a good many spadroons do have some back edge at the tips.

Actually, I have files on a good many double edged and partial edged examples.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 18.02 KB
robyfatty.JPG

Attachment: 18.19 KB
posrose5.JPG

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen,

That Spadroon on the bottom is a doozey. Can you tell me more about it? Is it a variation 1796?

inkothemgard!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Glen,

That Spadroon on the bottom is a doozey. Can you tell me more about it? Is it a variation 1796?

It is a British Pattern 1796 heavy cavalry officer's dress sword.
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
It is a British Pattern 1796 heavy cavalry officer's dress sword.

I've never seen one with a folding guard before. Usually there is not that much room between the guard and the quillons. Shouldnt it be a "boatshell" guard?

inkothemgard!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The P1796 infantry sword never officially had a folding guard, but most have that feature. Makers, and the officers buying the sword, obviously had certain leeway with some of those details. Could it be for infantry? Sure.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have seen a similar example of that old tyme type quillon arrangement listed as an artillery officer's sword. The example was (of course) from the Michael D Long pages. Below find more of that example.

Somewhat interestingly, there are several varieties with a similar blade that turns up on Ames American militia officer swords. The fullers on those tend to be less than half the length of the blade and the grips are often of the reeded bone variety and pommels knight's head. I am aware of various grades of those, with some reaching astronomical prices when linked with good provenance of presentation, especially Mexican War and American Civil War personages.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Spadroon arrives! Happy day!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: